APU perfomance in valley bench smooth as silk when also rendering line art

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
If I run the valley benchmark by itself I get 50 fps at 1280 by 720 but there is a bit of stuttering. Now if I run a rendering line art conversion software such as Linify (online software that converts images to line art) Valley runs smooth as silk with absolutely no stuttering. You do take a 10 fps loss in Valley though. 40 fps. This make me wonder if the Apu is shifting speed up and down but the art program forces all 8 threads to full speed? Linify uses 80 90 percent cpu.....

The early bios versions that supported the 2200G and 2400G had issues with power management and throttling. I think it was the gpu speed that was dropping to throttle the power but this of course kills gaming performance. Newer bios updates help fix this.
Maybe this isn't your issue, but I would check to see if there is a bios update for your board. The AGESA update that fixed a lot of things was 1.0.0.2a.

I found an example of before the bios update and then after:
Watch for the severe drops in fps on the left side.

I have the HP x360 ryzen convertible with the 5 2500u and Vega 8 16gb 2400 ddr4 250 gb 960 NVme and a Sandisk 960 2.5 storage ssd. I do have the latest Bios unfortunately there is no bios setting to even change the default 250 vram setting.. All Vram is shared from main memory anyway. I understand that 8gb of the 16 can used for graphics. Valley however seems to be the only benchmark that stutters and it is 2011 software. Games don't seem to stutter either..... I also just installed a modded version of the 18.51 drivers see AMD vega 8 mod install post.....

Sorry, thought you had a desktop, not laptop. I'm not very familiar with those.

Disable boost in Windows power management to allow the GPU more power and thermal headroom

already have processor in maximum performance mode all the time....

Back