April BOINC Project: QMC@home

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
Since we had so much success as an entire team running RCN last month we are going to try and highlight another BOINC project this month. Quantum Monte Carlo@home is a BOINC project that studies the Quantum Monte Carlo method to further Quantum Chemistry research. They can probably explain it better than I can here.

So if you have any spare CPU cores (even older cores still work well in BOINC) just download the BOINC client here and attach to the QMC@home project. If you have any questions on setting up the client feel free to ask and we'll help you out.

Currently the [H]ard|OCP team is 181st with 687,181 points. We have already gained 7 places since April 1st. Lets see if we can push into the top 100 or more! Good luck and thanks for contributing!

EDIT: Also worth noting - This project has very low RAM requirements (only 2-3K per thread) and the WUs are pretty short (only taking about 5-6 hours on an i7).

I also have my i7 and 2 C2D's switched to QMC. We are off to a good start! If anyone else has free cores we would appreciate the help! Thanks for considering. :cool:

For my times I seem to be getting anywheres between 6 hours and 12 hours usually. That sucks for 40 hours completion but well take any help we can get so thank you for dedicating your P4s :)

Thanks for joining the charge CraftyOtter! I think that you will find that those units wont take near that long. Sometimes at first the completion estimates can be a little off. I would bet a P4 could finish most of the units im seeing in 9 - 15 hours. :)

EDIT: 11th in overall points today in QMC. Nice going everyone!

Looks like I might be falling off for the next few days - I've gone from getting a BSOD on my Quad box once a week to at least once a day... I'm thinking it may be due to one of my two 9600GSOs overheating (96*-98*C under folding load), so I've turned off F@H on that card, hoping to keep BOINC up for a while. If that fails, I'll be taking it down to run some memtest86, which will mean 60%+ of my BOINC and 100% of my folding will be down :mad:

Might be the new USB networking dongle, too... I hate diagnosing BSODs!!!

Bummer man. Might want to start with that network dongle. I have never had good luck with the USB ones. Plus you could load up your BOINC queue and then get rid of the adapter and crunch offline for a while. :D

Bah, metallicafan if only I had more D to keep up with you. If only my i7 wasn't so loud with its like 9 fans to keep on 24/7 my roommate would kill me if I did. haha

Bummer man. Might want to start with that network dongle. I have never had good luck with the USB ones. Plus you could load up your BOINC queue and then get rid of the adapter and crunch offline for a while. :D
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - I had a cheapo Azzo dongle from the Egg that worked for a year, but now only connects intermittently. Picked up the one I have now from monoprice with another order, and it worked fine for a while, but the BSODs started soon after... And I verified last night that it's not the hot GPU, so if memtest comes up clear, bye-bye cheapo USB dongle. Maybe I should just stick to calbes at monoprice! :D

Bah, metallicafan if only I had more D to keep up with you. If only my i7 wasn't so loud with its like 9 fans to keep on 24/7 my roommate would kill me if I did. haha

You are churning out some very good points Eric. However if you can leave that i7 on 24/7 you would get quite a boost. My i7 has about 33K of my 58K total points. Its just tearing through the WU's.

Also it would appear that perhaps CraftyOtter may have added another CPU (that or his P4s are doing much better than I would have guessed). Nice job Crafty!

We could still use a few more cores to get to get on pace for the Top 100 if anyone else wants to join us. I am going to try to get one more C2D on this tomorrow. :)

Also it would appear that perhaps CraftyOtter may have added another CPU (that or his P4s are doing much better than I would have guessed).

Both

As you pointed out, the inital ETA can be off. Completion times are much less than 40 hours, even on the P4's :D

And I added a couple C2D CPU's that I was unable to run SMP on without screwing up the F@H GPU clients. So I'm not impacting my F@H PpD with the BOINC projects (so far).

Both

As you pointed out, the inital ETA can be off. Completion times are much less than 40 hours, even on the P4's :D

And I added a couple C2D CPU's that I was unable to run SMP on without screwing up the F@H GPU clients. So I'm not impacting my F@H PpD with the BOINC projects (so far).

yeah it takes 10-15 WU's before the estimated times avg out..

Well fellow DC'ers - Its the 15th of the month. Halfway home on our team effort in QMC@home. Since April 1st we have jumped from 188th place to 138th place. 50 spots in 15 days is pretty good! We broke 1 million points yesterday and we are averaging upwards of 50K PPD. Nice work everyone! If we can keep this up we shouldn't have any problems breaking into the top 100 by the end of the month. :)

Good lord. 19 hour WU's ftw!

If you guys find this project interesting, check out this one:

http://cah.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/

Run by Cambridge University so we can enjoy the perks of complimentary tea and crumpets (not really (<3 brits)).

Good lord. 19 hour WU's ftw!

If you guys find this project interesting, check out this one:

http://cah.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/

Run by Cambridge University so we can enjoy the perks of complimentary tea and crumpets (not really (<3 brits)).

I wonder if this project is on the list for future inclusion in the Vault after it's out of Alpha. Might be one to keep out eye on, and make a big push for if any mention comes up...

Doc, are you familiar with the DC Vault? This is the driving focus behind our merry little group of Commandos here. We tend to focus on the projects tracked by this site. :D

Do you have some sort of affiliation with this project? Just wondering as you seem to be pushing this project in several threads around here. Perhaps you use a different username for BOINC? I dont see anyone on our team with a username of The Doctor.

Yeah my username on boinc is rohit91, im on WCG, Collatz and QMC@home under that name.

I must confess I love my Physics and thus get all giddy when I see any projects that can further the understanding of anything Physics related.

OK, I just added this to Boinc and I'm running the units just fine. But it shows that the WU's will take just over 16 hours to complete, really? BTW my CPU is back down to stock speed for the i7 920, but I would have thought it would have been faster than 16 hours, lol.

Sorry I haven't been visiting this section much or I would have started sooner, I also had to stop running F@H on all my PC's cause of power usage :(, I had to promise to cut back, for now atleast. But I will try to help on other projects like this one though :).

OK, I just added this to Boinc and I'm running the units just fine. But it shows that the WU's will take just over 16 hours to complete, really? BTW my CPU is back down to stock speed for the i7 920, but I would have thought it would have been faster than 16 hours, lol.

Sorry I haven't been visiting this section much or I would have started sooner, I also had to stop running F@H on all my PC's cause of power usage , I had to promise to cut back, for now atleast. But I will try to help on other projects like this one though .
I've found this is what happens with BOINC projects. When you start off the time to completion is grossly inaccurate, it refines itself after a few tasks to that it becomes a lot more accurate. For example, at the beginning my QMC was supposed to take 30 hours to finish, but it ended up taking 9. So the second time the time to completion started at 15 hours, and for the third one less again.

Yeah, over the past few days my i7 860 @ 2.93 is doing these QMC WUs in about 7 hours give or take a few minutes. As others have mentioned it takes a few WUs before the estimates are accurate. Thanks for helping 03grandam!

Woo! Thanks grandam for your added cores. :) Yeah the estimation is inaccurate at first but they do level out after a few work units. I believe this happens for each new project you add.

The only problem I am facing is since my 2 c2ds are at home I cannot change them over to the next months project.

Yea you are all right. I just came in and checked it and it says 5 hours have elapsed with 2 hours to go, so roughly 7 hours :). But I think later I'm gonna have to ramp back up to 4GHz :).
If I had seen this sooner I would have started sooner but it's hard coming into this section knowing I can't run F@H anymore:(, and I had almost 2.5 million points too.

Woo! Thanks grandam for your added cores. :) Yeah the estimation is inaccurate at first but they do level out after a few work units. I believe this happens for each new project you add.

The only problem I am facing is since my 2 c2ds are at home I cannot change them over to the next months project.
Don't worry, somebody has to maintain all that ground we gained after April is over! :D

yes you are correct it happens with every new project you add.. takes 10-15 WU's before it finally gets the estimated time correct..

No big deal man. Like Jathanis said someone has to keep our ranking or maybe even jump a few more teams! With pushes in QMC and next months Leiden we will be making a pretty decent jump in the Physical Science category. In fact if we do a little work in Spinhenge@Home we might even be able to catch Ukraine in that category. ;) I say we crunching the physical science projects until we can catch the Ukraine team!

Looks like we can still pass another 3 or 4 teams pretty easily in the next couple days for an added buffer.

I'll let my (6) BOINC clients ride on this project for a while.

Turned out my PpD for F@H went up after I took a couple SMP clients offline line for the QMC (CPU) challenge. :D

These were boxen running both F@H CPU/GPU clients prior to this.

Win win. :cool:

CraftyOtter said:
Turned out my PpD for F@H went up after I took a couple SMP clients offline line for the QMC (CPU) challenge.

I had a similar experience when I took my ATI GPUs off F@H and put them on Collatz. What I lost in production from the GPUs was more than half replaced just by my CPU running faster because of less utilization to feed the GPUs.

I just saw this thread, so I allocated 50% of my Q6600 (3.4Ghz) from WCG to post some last minute help.

thanks for joining! I think the plan is to move to a team effort in Leiden Classic starting in May, if you care to join us. Thats quite the pile-o-WCG points you have there. Well done sir. :)

Since we had so much success as an entire team running RCN last month we are going to try and highlight another BOINC project this month. Quantum Monte Carlo@home is a BOINC project that studies the Quantum Monte Carlo method to further Quantum Chemistry research. They can probably explain it better than I can here.

So if you have any spare CPU cores (even older cores still work well in BOINC) just download the BOINC client here and attach to the QMC@home project. If you have any questions on setting up the client feel free to ask and we'll help you out.

Currently the [H]ard|OCP team is 181st with 687,181 points. We have already gained 7 places since April 1st. Lets see if we can push into the top 100 or more! Good luck and thanks for contributing!

EDIT: Also worth noting - This project has very low RAM requirements (only 2-3K per thread) and the WUs are pretty short (only taking about 5-6 hours on an i7).

Well we had another great turnout for this months BOINC project. We went from about 188th at the beginning of the month to our current position of 90th place and we went from <700K points to over 1.8 million total points! I just want to congratulate the Horde on another great performance.

A special thanks to tr0ach, EricE, CraftyOtter, Jathanis, jim03, 03grandam, chearn63, CCinstaller, Mr. Pedantic, and rohit91. On to the next challenge! :)

Back