Applying to do student work for the CS department...tips please

enlightenedby42

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright, so I'm about to start my third semester (including the summer anyway) of my CS degree and asked the dept. chair about maybe doing some sort of low level work around the labs for a little bit of experience while I'm in school. He asked for a "a memo of intent that youare interested in working as a lab assistant. In the memo, pleaseinclude any experience (formal or informal) of yours as to computers."

Any suggestions on how something like this should look? Should I just do a resume type thing, or more of a business letter with a summary of knowledge and experience? My apologies, know its kinda dopey, but just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

you should just do a resume with a cover letter

if you try to write a memo, it'll just come out weird and long and probably skip some of your skills

I'm gonna disagree with the above. A memo was requested and student work really doesn't demand (or want, probably) a resume. A resume probably wouldn't be the deciding factor against, but it's likely to irritate someone who's expecting a memo.

Go with something like
Dr. <head of department>,

I am writing to declare my interest in student work-study (or applicable term) in the CS department.

I have past experience in the areas of.... Additionally, if opportunities permit, I am particularly interested in....

I am available for work during <hours not occupied by class or beer>.

Thank you,
<generic closing>

What exactly are your plans for future Academia? Grad school? PhD? Straight to work? If you are thinking about grad school you might want to write that you are looking for research work, and not just low-level work. Professors love having more motivated students working under them, so you should try and talk to some that are working in fields you are interested in. I've been told by just about every grad student I know that research work/papers/presentations are a huge bonus for applying to grad school.

I did something like this but for a summer honors research with one of my professors. I included a memo addressed to the chair and professors. Talk about what you plan on getting out of the research and how you could be a positive factor in it. Sure they want to know your skills, but I think they wanna know about why they should give you the position.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I actually already got the lab assistant job this morning, so I guess it worked. I mentioned in my letter as well as verbally to the department chair that I am very much interested in helping with research projects and such in the future if they are available. Unfortunately it is a medium sized regional university, and I don't think we see a huge chunk of research money.

I'm currently planning to attend grad school at least, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a good job for it. A friend of mine got a job as an entry level logistics engineer with a large freight shipping company that is paying for him to complete a graduate degree while working, which sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

For people that are in the position of just starting school like I am, I'm learning quicly that a little bit of initiative goes a long way. Most of the people you go to school with won't persue opportunites like that, and ultimately it will help set you a part. Carpe diem kids.

Back