"applying computer settings" SLOW after wireless group policy

joblo37pam

2[H]4U
I have a Server2k3 active directory that I am doing some tweaking on. Everything has been running fine until I tried to integrate wireless. I installed IAS running radius to authenticate, tested, everything worked fine.

Then I set up a group policy to automatically deploy the WPA settings and now even with machines plugged into ethernet, it is taking 7-10 minutes to log in while the computer says "applying computer settings". Once it finally gets logged in, everything seems to work fine, and you can log out and back in without a delay. If I disable the link to the wireless policy, everything works fine again. I have deleted and recreated the policy, but the problem keeps coming back.

I turned on verbose logging for userenv, and here is where it's getting hung up:

Code:
USERENV(390.394) 17:26:23:279 LoadUserProfile: Returning TRUE. hProfile = <0x8f0>
USERENV(390.394) 17:26:23:638 IsSyncForegroundPolicyRefresh: Synchronous, Reason: FirstPolicyRefresh
USERENV(390.cf8) 17:26:23:638 IsSyncForegroundPolicyRefresh: Synchronous, Reason: FirstPolicyRefresh
USERENV(d88.d8c) 17:26:50:957 LibMain: Process Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
USERENV(dcc.dd0) 17:26:52:643 LibMain: Process Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
USERENV(a80.a94) 17:31:04:620 LibMain: Process Name:  C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
USERENV(390.634) 17:33:18:926 ProcessGPOList: Extension Wireless returned 0x0.
USERENV(390.634) 17:33:18:942 ProcessGPOList: Extension Wireless doesn't support rsop logging
USERENV(390.634) 17:33:18:958 ProcessGPOs: -----------------------
USERENV(390.634) 17:33:18:958 ProcessGPOs: -----------------------

I can't seem to find any DNS issues, but I would think that if DNS were the problem, it would happen all the time, not just with this new policy.

Roaming profiles aren't being used, but my documents is being redirected to the user's home directory.

This is kind of driving me crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

I may very well be wrong but seeing "Extension Wireless returned 0x0" tells me your wireless isn't detected at that point so the computer is having to wait until the wireless card is detected. When windows boots it takes a minute or so for a wireless card to be enabled and working.

I may very well be wrong but seeing "Extension Wireless returned 0x0" tells me your wireless isn't detected at that point so the computer is having to wait until the wireless card is detected. When windows boots it takes a minute or so for a wireless card to be enabled and working.

I would agree with you, but I can boot the computer, log in as the local administrator, use the wireless, log out, log in with a domain account and I still get the delay.

I have found a few other threads about wmiprvse.exe taking a while, but so far haven't found any resolutions. I've given up on it for tonight, will try it again in the morning with (hopefully) a few more ideas from you folks.

Thanks for the insight.

USERENV(dcc.dd0) 17:26:52:643 LibMain: Process Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

USERENV(a80.a94) 17:31:04:620 LibMain: Process Name: C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

Looks like the WMI service is having a problem starting.

USERENV(dcc.dd0) 17:26:52:643 LibMain: Process Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

USERENV(a80.a94) 17:31:04:620 LibMain: Process Name: C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

Looks like the WMI service is having a problem starting.

Yes, that is what I see too. Now the question is why?

While I was doing some googleing on it last night I found where the WMI logs are, so I'll check them out when I go back to the office today.

OK, WMI logs aren't telling me anything. No blaring errors anyway. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I would be happy to send someone the logs if they wanted to take a look.

I have uninstalled Symantec Client Security to see if it was causing problems. No difference.

Could it have something to do with the certificates for 802.1x? I've never had a problem with that before.

It only happens the first time a user logs in after an image has been deployed. I can log in as a different user and it works fine. I can restart and log in as a different user, and it works fine, it's just the first time that these policies are applied.

Any more suggestions?

Back