Applied thermal paste like 400 times - how do I clean and start over?

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
I've applied thermal paste to my friend's 2000+ and stock heatsink like 400 times. How do I just clean it and start over. We wiped off the thermal paste with tissue but I wouldn't think that is a very good way to do it. Should we use alcohol? What do I dip in the alcohol/cleaning solution? What do I use to clean the CPU itself? What parts can't I touch/get cleaning solution on.

There is the core in the middle and an assortment of small rectangles around it, but those all seem pretty immune to harm unless I really try to hurt them.

Any suggestions would be super, thanks.

cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol (higher concentration the better).

Just swab the core or heatsink, see the shininess, and be happy.

Put it in the dishwasher? :D

No, just kidding. I use cotton balls and the highest % of rubbing alcohol I can find (usually 91%).

So can I not use rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU ceramic? The guide said that I can use rubbing alcohol for the heatsink and the core, but it didn't really mention it on the ceramic part. Can I really not use it? Did they just neglect to mention it?

Also, what actually qualifies as a lint free cloth? I really have no idea. Something around the house maybe?

I use rubbing alchohol as well. I've used it on ceramic CPU's without problem...it's the best :)

there's no real reason to clean the ceramic. if you have enough thermal paste everywhere to need to clean, consider revising your thermal paste application habits ;)

Pop into your local PepBoys and grab a can of LectraClean. Take the CPU outside and simply spray off anything you applied. No residue, no touching, no damage to the CPU.

Works like a champ. It will not harm any known CPU substrate.

Resist the idea of recreational use of the “fumes”; it’s just not a good idea. ;)

i have a question about applyin this stuf to an AMD 64....i read that u put a small dab on the center of the CPU then just push the heatsink onto it?? is that true? you dont have to do any manual spreadin like on the Barton Cores?

You shouldn't have to do manual spreading on a Barton core either as it is smaller...
But yeah, just put a little dab on the center and the heatsink pressure from the clip will push the thermal paste out to a thin layer.

I've had much better luck with lighter fluid or butane, compared to rubbing alcohol. Use with caution, though. Don't have any flames nearby! :rolleyes:

ah i see, ive always spread mine on the barton cores cause i think it said to on the arctic silver website with a razor or credit card....but watever, just using the heatsink pressure is easier :p

There are two techniques. If your chip has a heatspreader (A64) a blob in the centre roughly spread out is fine.

If it is the naked core, then you have to be much more careful. Very even, thin coating spread with a credit card or razor.

On either, if you have to detach the hsf to turn it round or whatever, reflatten the paste (meringue mountains is not a good look).

i suggest you read the thread before posting, as i already pointed out AS's instructions in the 2nd reply ;)
also, you linked to the instructions for the lidded cpu's. this is something he does not have :D :p

use cotton swabs and +90% isopropyl

the foam makeup applicator triangles work well too (don't mix with alcohol, as it will eat the foam).

Sounds like you are applying too much.

Remember, too much can be as bad as too little. It's just there to fill in any crevices between the two surfaces, NOT act as a medium.

Tenchi4U said:
the foam makeup applicator triangles work well too (don't mix with alcohol, as it will eat the foam).
yes.. then the little pads dissapear/fall off, and then.. :(
just be careful not to do that. :p

Tenchi4U said:
It's just there to fill in any crevices between the two surfaces, NOT act as a medium.

Definitely. There are quite a few people who does indeed believe that it should act as a medium to transfer heat, a la a thick even layer; no, it should only act as a medium in the parts where the core/heatspreader does not have flat contact with the heatsink

Ha, you should have seen this CPU when I got to my friends house.

I built this system for him 2 years ago and obviously did a bad job (woops), and then the other day I went back over to fix it for him, and when I pulled the heatsink off there was TONS of paste. I mean just tons. ALL over the CPU. Practiacally painted the whole thing white, I just laughed. I was like "who the hell did this?" and he said one of his friends from UT did it (duh?). So we cleaned it off and tried again, but it still overheated.

That's why I came here to ask you guys. We did it a 4th time using alcohol this time and now it runs like a charm.

After this problem I'm willing to bet accidental heat problems are 99% of lockups/restarts.

BobTheSlob said:
So can I not use rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU ceramic? The guide said that I can use rubbing alcohol for the heatsink and the core, but it didn't really mention it on the ceramic part. Can I really not use it? Did they just neglect to mention it?

Also, what actually qualifies as a lint free cloth? I really have no idea. Something around the house maybe?
Shit you can use break cleaner on a CPGA package...it's pretty tough

Back