Application to disable All other programs updating?

osalcido

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a program that can effectively block or eliminate other programs auto-updaters (Java, Adobe, Etc)

The windows 7 firewall doesnt reliably do so

Any tips?

Win7 firewall should be able to be configured to block access to the update components using a rule. It won't do it by default, as that isn't what the purpose of it is.

Instead of blocking, you might want to consider disabling the update components. I know that both Java and Adobe have the ability to auto-update and you can turn that off.

Um yeah the problem is I dont want to go thru 15 or so application settings and disable them all and have to hunt down any new ones I installed

There ought to be a way to block it or a program to do it, in my opinion

Well..there is no miracle program that does it without effort. I would suggest getting used to rules in your firewalls or spending time tweaking each one. I would prefer these programs to auto update because this reduces over all potential virus from bombarding me from zombie PC's.

The Windows firewall only blocks incoming by default, but if a program on your computer makes the connection then it can receive date as that isn't considering incoming. Enable blocking of outgoing traffic in the Windows firewall, then go through the list and make sure there are no exceptions/rules for the programs you want to block. You may have to add a rule for your browser and whatever else you want to access the internet though. That's as close as you're going to get to one program to control such things. A warning is warranted however, blocking programs from updating (esp. adobe and java) will make it easier for your machine to be compromised.

Well..there is no miracle program that does it without effort..

There definitely oughtta be. These automatic updaters are getting pretty ridiculous. This is a media pc set up to watch HD streaming movies from Netflix, Hulu, Network websites, etc. and does no actual browsing. I definitely don't need 15 other applications leaching bandwidth when I'm trying to stream 1080p video.

Welp, thanks anyway

There definitely oughtta be. These automatic updaters are getting pretty ridiculous. This is a media pc set up to watch HD streaming movies from Netflix, Hulu, Network websites, etc. and does no actual browsing. I definitely don't need 15 other applications leaching bandwidth when I'm trying to stream 1080p video.

Welp, thanks anyway

While your idea may sound useful, it is completely infeasible from a software development standpoint, because updates are handled differently for each program...There is no way Microsoft or anyone else could make a program to do what you want, unless a universal standard was developed for handling stuff like that..AND every developer followed it.

A majority of malware now exploits outdated adobe programs and java. So you will be creating more problems for yourself by preventing these programs from staying updated.

A majority of malware now exploits outdated adobe programs and java. So you will be creating more problems for yourself by preventing these programs from staying updated.
Thanks for not reading thru the thread

While your idea may sound useful, it is completely infeasible from a software development standpoint, because updates are handled differently for each program...There is no way Microsoft or anyone else could make a program to do what you want, unless a universal standard was developed for handling stuff like that..AND every developer followed it.

Completely infeasible... so there's no way to integrate TcpView and compare active downloading processes against a compiled list of known offenders?

Really?

Thanks for not reading thru the thread
Really?

Uninstall the stuff you won't use and then you don't have to worry about needless programs being updated or using bandwidth during the update process...

But if you do need the software on the system, you should keep it up to date, at least from a security standpoint... This is especially true for things like Adobe Flash which are constantly being patched for security holes. It's not as if even sticking to well known and trusted sites will guarantee safety... Some very high profile sites have been duped into serving infected Flash ads through third party ad distributors... Often, but not always, problems are avoided with up-to-date software on the systems.

Until the Windows community can create a repository mechanism, like the Linux community, we're stuck with each app / vendor handling its own updates. Thankfully most of these pieces of software really only update about once a month, if even that often... Is it really that difficult to keep them up to date to protect yourself?

Why not install a third party firewall and and set to notify when somethings updating that way you can allow or disallow.

Adobe, Java, etc., all have ways to disable the updaters. I have a list of them and disable them on systems at work.

Yea, 3rd party firewall with disallow all except what you allow will do the trick.

run msconfig, nuke the ones you don't want. others need to have settings changed. either way it is not a big deal.

No big deal until their update server gets infected with a virus, and it has happened.

Thankfully most of these pieces of software really only update about once a month, if even that often... Is it really that difficult to keep them up to date to protect yourself?

When I have a 5GB / month download cap... yes.. yes it is

run msconfig, nuke the ones you don't want. others need to have settings changed. either way it is not a big deal.

I wouldn't have made this thread if it wasnt a big deal for me.. I dont think anyone asked if it was a big deal to begin with but pretty ballsy of you to decide whats a big deal for people and what isnt. I don't want to do this for every plugin/app everytime i reformat which is fairly often.

Anyway, as far as 3rd party firewall apps .. any recommendations?

I wouldn't have made this thread if it wasnt a big deal for me.. I dont think anyone asked if it was a big deal to begin with but pretty ballsy of you to decide whats a big deal for people and what isnt.
eh, sorry that I interrupted your hand washing procedures with my suggestion. i'll let you get back to it.

eh, sorry that I interrupted your hand washing procedures with my suggestion. i'll let you get back to it.

can a mod plz delete this post I got some help already just looking for 3rd party recos dont need a flame war in here

This is a media pc set up to watch HD streaming movies from Netflix, Hulu, Network websites, etc. and does no actual browsing. I definitely don't need 15 other applications leaching bandwidth when I'm trying to stream 1080p video.

Have you considered enabling QoS on your router to allow your streaming applications priority? This would be a different way to solve the problem if your main goal is to not allow other apps to sap bandwidth from the applications you care about.

Back