Application error 0xc0000005 Windows 7 Ultimate

icehole

[H]ard|Gawd
Starting about an hour after I started my desktop on the 17th I started getting the following error when ever I tried to open an app that wasn't already running.

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

I have been all over the web trying different fixes and nothing has worked so far.

First thing I did was restore a Macrium backup that was before the last Windows update, 5/09. Windows is activated and legal. After a few minutes the errors start again. Have done this 4 times with different drives.

Ran memtest for 10 hours with O errors.

Ran 2 antivirus scans that found squat.

Re seated memory and unplugged and replugged all motherboard connections.

Last thing I did was go in to msconfig and start with all startups but antivirus loading and I can do some things like Outlook and Chrome but most applications will not load.

Last night I was able to get Steam to load and play DOOM for an hour with no problem.

Os used winload not xOsload.

Anybody have any ideas?

Did you try safe mode? Can you create another user account and log in and see if it still does it?

Maybe you have some corruption in your user profile.

I am willing to bet it's a user account issue, but I see you did restore a backup, so that's likely not the issue.

I had this issue once and it was the account.

Also, I would totally uninstall the Anti-Virus software and reboot and see if that makes a difference. Something might be wonky with it and just needs a purge and re-install.

Did you try safe mode? Can you create another user account and log in and see if it still does it?

Maybe you have some corruption in your user profile.

Yes, everything works in SAFE mode with networking.

Just tried using msconfig to start with all non Microsoft services disabled and everything appears to be working. How the hell do I go about finding the service that is screwing everything up?

Last edited:
DID you strip out the AV? I would be looking for something that acts on your activity. Maybe some weird printer driver overlay or something like 7zip that has embedded hooks into system.

DID you strip out the AV? I would be looking for something that acts on your activity. Maybe some weird printer driver overlay or something like 7zip that has embedded hooks into system.

I do have 7zip installed, I'll look at that. Windows update installed new printer drivers on the 10th but I went back before that when I did the restore.

Everything runs fine with the antivirus enabled.

Well I was wrong. Whenever I tried adding any other services or startups I got the same error.

Uninstalled 7zip and Zonealarm Pro and everything worked. Reinstalled the latest version of Zonealarm and got the same BS errors. Unistalled and installed AVG Free and got the same BS errors. Unistalled AVG and installed Webroot trial and thing are working for now.

Is there a possibility of a BIOS virus?

Is windows firewall on? Sounds like too many foxes watching the henhouse.

Zonealarm? Wow! I haven't used that since about 2005! I can't believe it still exists.

Windows has a built in firewall, why use Zonealarm?

Zonealarm? Wow! I haven't used that since about 2005! I can't believe it still exists.

Windows has a built in firewall, why use Zonealarm?

Exactly my thoughts. Also if you expect to have a bios virus despite running an antivirus, why bother running it? It clearly isn't reliable so it's only eating resources. Dump windows for offline and gaming use and use an alternative OS for your daily tasks.

Exactly my thoughts. Also if you expect to have a bios virus despite running an antivirus, why bother running it? It clearly isn't reliable so it's only eating resources. Dump windows for offline and gaming use and use an alternative OS for your daily tasks.

Windows firewall was turned off when Zonealarm was installed.

Antivirus and Firewall in one package for $40/year for 3 devices. Been using it for 10 years or so and other than an occasional borked update it has been fine until now. Tried Panda for a year and got a virus in less than 6 months so went back to Zonealarm.

Got a suggestion on a better antivirus for multiple devices?

Don't you have a firewall in your router?

Running a firewall ON the system you are trying to protect is like having the club bouncer INSIDE the club instead of outside the door.

I would use ClamWin or Avira because I am cheap and they work.

Don't you have a firewall in your router?

Running a firewall ON the system you are trying to protect is like having the club bouncer INSIDE the club instead of outside the door.

I would use ClamWin or Avira because I am cheap and they work.

Well that's not exactly true. An on-machine firewall can catch and alert about new outgoing connections for example when you get malware or a worm and it starts to communicate out of your machine.

Icehole: I don't believe there exists an antivirus you could fully trust.

Well, I just went through 4 chat sessions with Zonealarm and nothing they can come up with fixed the problem so I guess I will be moving to a different Antivirus. Webroot works and I can protect 5 devices for $32/year so unless I find something better that will be the solution.

I use Avast Antivirus for $0/yr and Malwarebytes for $0/yr for anything Avast can't handle on my 4 systems. Works great for me. Though Avast does have nagging pop-ups, but they don't bother me all that much.

Back