Application/Database Server

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I didn't know if this was the best place to post or what. We are turning our break fix office into a managed service/contract and the new software we got to help us with this minimum requirements are "3.0Ghz Quad Core CPU with 3GB or more, 2 physical disks, 60GB in space."

It is based of SQL so I know more memory and Raid 10 would be good.

I was just hoping someone could help me select parts for the build. I do not care if it is consumer motheboard vs server grade. I need to do this as inexpensively as possible in a rack case.

Any help would be great.

You are correct the biggest thing with SQL is IOPS and RAM (lots of both) I would put OS on a RAID 1 and Databases on a RAID 10 array with battery back cache on the controller. Make sure you have x64 OS and SQL and put as much ram as you can afford. If this is misison critical I would also buy a second server to replicate to.

Start as you mean to go on with SQL, make sure you plan it correctly from the start with enough head room for growth, there is nothing worse than having a 24/7 database that is stuck on a single underpowered server that you thought would do the job 12 months ago but now wish you had maybe planned ahead. (take this from experience, I have some one elses mess to try and fix and its not nice)

Last edited:
Back