Apple's U.S. Facilities: 100% of Their Power from Renewables

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple is not only talking the talk, but the company is walking the walk as well when it comes to being energy efficient. Presently all of Apple’s US concerns are using renewable energy as well as 97% worldwide. I guess they are world class tree huggers after all. :cool:

Our goal is to power all of them with 100 percent renewable energy. So we're tapping into energy from solar, wind, micro-hydro, biogas fuel cells, and geothermal sources," the company said. "We're designing new buildings and updating existing ones to use as little electricity as possible.

I can't see why Apple just doesn't move everything back to paper filing cabinets and work out of a large cave somewhere using kerosene torches for light...! Just think how much electricity the company would save then! Can't any "greener" than that, can you?

This has got to be the first environmentally friendly company whose products are designed to fill up trash cans in 2 to at most 5 years after being bought.

This is the same kind of claim Google makes about its datacenters and it's complete B.S. They buy X amount of renewable energy at a markup (cause it's more expensive than regular 'brown' energy), then they sell that X energy at the cheaper 'brown' energy price, and then they use X amount of regular 'brown' energy to power their datacenters.

And in their minds this is the same thing as if they had used the X amount of renewable energy to power their datacenters. They also like to stick a few token solar panels or wind turbines on site to point at when they give tours to clients.

Their facilities? Considering they contract out manufacture, its not that hard.

When sell status and can do a 70% markup, you can do this. In fact you need to do this lest a negative campaign be waged against your company. I'd like to see if they are so green when they sell phones for Cost + 5% like everything made eventually ends up.

Complete and utter horsecrap.

Unless they run their own power plants and power generation and are separate from the public grid they just do the massive corporate version of checking the box on their electric bill that says "I want to pay more for power by supporting green sources of energy."

Proving that any of the power actually came from that "source" is impossible and is entirely a scam.

They're just pumping a few billion of their reserves back into government black holes to pay their "bribe" to the political establishment of the day.

If any of this makes anyone feel better about how Apple treats the planet, I feel sorry for those who can't distinguish between treating the environment with respect and supporting the mob.

I suppose they are attempting to make up for the fact that they get all of their power in China from the tears of 7 year old children.

Complete and utter horsecrap.

Unless they run their own power plants and power generation and are separate from the public grid they just do the massive corporate version of checking the box on their electric bill that says "I want to pay more for power by supporting green sources of energy."

Proving that any of the power actually came from that "source" is impossible and is entirely a scam.

They're just pumping a few billion of their reserves back into government black holes to pay their "bribe" to the political establishment of the day.

If any of this makes anyone feel better about how Apple treats the planet, I feel sorry for those who can't distinguish between treating the environment with respect and supporting the mob.
maybe you'd like to read the article since it's about Apple building solar and hydro power plants across the US and China and engineering their retail buildings to use roughly half of the power they normally would draw from the power grid (where they do purchase renewable energy).

This is the same kind of claim Google makes about its datacenters and it's complete B.S. They buy X amount of renewable energy at a markup (cause it's more expensive than regular 'brown' energy), then they sell that X energy at the cheaper 'brown' energy price, and then they use X amount of regular 'brown' energy to power their datacenters.

And in their minds this is the same thing as if they had used the X amount of renewable energy to power their datacenters. They also like to stick a few token solar panels or wind turbines on site to point at when they give tours to clients.

All of Google's building rooftops are covered with solar panels (at least at the Googleplex...and many of their satellite locations do the same). I fail to see how that's "token"

Always so much hate on companies that are doing a great thing.
They proving that it works while everyone else thinks its impossible.
Kudos Apple, I rarely say that.

In related news, the nets put up to catch the suicide attempters are made from 100% recycled milk jugs. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

Back