Apple's New OS X Mavericks Ready to Go Gold

Apple Maps will take you directly to a runway near you.

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

...I feel like I accidentally traveled back in time when I look at this page and its "new" features.
Some of those things are nice to have as OS defaults, but I agree that there's really nothing new in those banner features. Some are shameless rip-offs from Win8 and Linux. (I still want it anyways. ;))

Some of those things are nice to have as OS defaults, but I agree that there's really nothing new in those banner features. Some are shameless rip-offs from Win8 and Linux. (I still want it anyways. ;))

I heard this upgrade increases my megahertz!

I'm impressed. It seems to run very well, much better than Mountain Lion did.

I'm not a fan of the new "Tags" features (I'd rather not have social networking features on my desktop OS) and the Multiple Displays (which is really multiple menu bars on more than one monitor), but maybe they will grow on me.

Looking forward to performance / power savings improvements.

I wonder if it'll run any better than ML on this 07' MBP.

I'm not a fan of the new "Tags" features (I'd rather not have social networking features on my desktop OS)
Tagging is an organizational feature, not a social networking feature. It's similar to Smart Folders, but somewhat less cumbersome and more search-oriented.

Fairy dust fills the room upon detection of a second display.

Mavericks multi monitor support beats that of Win 7's but I would say that Mavericks multi monitor support is around the same as that of Win 8's

OSX Beats win 7 in multi-monitor support? DAFUQ am I reading??

You are aware that windows has had multi-monitor support since Win95 right? I've also been running 3 Monitors since WindowsXP and the only issues I've had with multi-monitor support are the drivers that come from AMD or nVidia.

I'm confused how Apple can mess up multi-monitor support that's been around for decades. Have apple users never used multiple monitors? If this is somewhat true, I feel sorry for you people.

[RIP]Zeus;1040258038 said:

You are aware that windows has had multi-monitor support since Win95 right? I've also been running 3 Monitors since WindowsXP and the only issues I've had with multi-monitor support are the drivers that come from AMD or nVidia.

I'm confused how Apple can mess up multi-monitor support that's been around for decades. Have apple users never used multiple monitors? If this is somewhat true, I feel sorry for you people.
OSX multi monitor support means having multiple, independent workspaces not one split up among multiple monitors.

OSX multi monitor support means having multiple, independent workspaces not one split up among multiple monitors.
So bacicly it is like adding a 2nd taskbar in Windows, like Windows 8 does natively. Apple and Microsoft have sure been copying each other a lot over the past few years.

[21CW]killerofall;1040259481 said:
So bacicly it is like adding a 2nd taskbar in Windows, like Windows 8 does natively. Apple and Microsoft have sure been copying each other a lot over the past few years.
no, I don't know how you get that

if windows 8 could do the same thing natively I'd be able to have my desktop on one of my monitors and metro on my touchscreen

but I can't because windows 8, like windows 7, doesn't do anything other than split a workspace across multiple displays. that's not what people who need multi monitor support mean. we aren't trying to play games on one screen and browse forums on another although I'm sure that knocks the socks off windows "power users"

Multiple displays! Wow!

I'd laugh at it if it wasn't for how bad multiple monitors are handled currently in mac os. If you try to full screen many apps it blocks out the extra monitors you have. Pretty much full screen on one display means you can't do or view anything on others. It is a joke.

i couldn't care less on everything on that page except for the finder's tab, that feature is actually make my day easier. and it'll help few newbies along the ways who's just starting on that.

and damn that notification options there goes extra DING..... ding..... DING..... everytime u get new notification.

[RIP]Zeus;1040258038 said:

No, multimonitor support in OSX has generally worked similarly to Windows. Windows' is better but it's still rather terrible. If you've played a full-screen game on a primary display and clicked a window on the secondary display then you've probably seen it goes all wonky. Or, when you change resolution in that game, how it affects the position of windows on the secondary. That's because the secondary display is an extension of the first rather an individual workspace. Same goes for mirroring two displays of different resolution where one gets downgraded to the resolution of the other.

The jury is still out on Mavericks but if it's actually two separate workspaces then the above shouldn't be an issue.

Back