Apple's New Mac Pro Costs $53,000 When You Max Out the Specs

erek

[H]F Junkie
Ok - so think target market - who is going to max out one of these? People who are serious content creators tied to the job they do. If they need it, they can justify it.

It is for the professional film or audio studios not the common pleb. Its chump change for them.

And I can price out a dell workstation for over $60,000. As much as I am not a Apple user or a fan of their products this seems like a lame thing to care about. Who cares what the maxed out price is, what is the maxed out specs?

and there is absolutely nothing on the market that can match the afterburner card and the XDR displays. If it had any other name on it other than Apple, the hate wouldn’t exist.

Apple deliver subpar pro product = apple hate
Apple deliver overpar pro product = apple hate

Last edited by a moderator:
Bespoke design, bespoke R&D, bespoke software.. course it’s going to be expensive

At least they moved on from the trash can. Still hideous. $50k Mac still comes with a single click mouse. Honestly tho it is some impressive hardware. If only they could stuck a 3970x in there.
Apple makes no sense to me. They refuse to use NVIDIA GPUs in support of AMD and then refuse to use AMD CPUs and only use Intel. :confused:

Apple makes no sense to me. They refuse to use NVIDIA GPUs in support of AMD and then refuse to use AMD CPUs and only use Intel. :confused:

This is the most mind-boggling part to me. I can only surmise that there's something in macOS that simply works better on Intel chips/chipsets as AMD leads Intel on both cores/threads and power on the desktop as of Zen2.

This is the most mind-boggling part to me. I can only surmise that there's something in macOS that simply works better on Intel chips/chipsets as AMD leads Intel on both cores/threads and power on the desktop as of Zen2.
Not really. I've seen people make AMD Hackintoshes that run just fine. It seems when Apple sticks to something that's it.

They don't like Nvidia pricing and generally don't get along with them from what I understand, that's why. Plus AMD is all more than happy to oblige making them custom cards like the W5700 which is a top binned/uncut Navi 10... that's why we didn't see it on the desktop (yet) - they were stockpiling the best/lowest defect chips for Apple...

Content creators are not going to care what kind of score their hardware is getting in canned gaming engine benchmarks.

Unless they are enthusiasts, I wouldn't expect the majority of them have run a benchmark of any kind. Even in the very software suite they use. To the majority of our Visual Communications instructors and students, computers are just a tool. They often don't know or care about how they work. Just that they do what they need to do.

Unless they are enthusiasts, I wouldn't expect the majority of them have run a benchmark of any kind. Even in the very software suite they use. To the majority of our Visual Communications instructors and students, computers are just a tool. They often don't know or care about how they work. Just that they do what they need to do.

Exactly, and the Mac pro as a tool is an extremely efficient tool at that. There are studios out there that want very little downtime as possible and something as simple as having to troubleshoot and update drivers is literally lost money.

In 10 years, these things will be on eBay still commanding a lot of money while PCs the same age will probably go for pennies. As a PC enthusiast I am impressed by the specifications of the Mac Pro and if I had money, I would absolutely get one due to the ease of the Macos and the sturdy hardware.

I have a gaming PC and my 2013 Mac Pro (trashcan) is still my daily driver.

That is a bargain compared to the $1000 monitor stand.

Why does a audio studio need 384gb of ram and that kind of processing power? Isn't a over priced Mac book sufficient for audio work?

They mate not, hence you can spec it any way you want. But yes a heavy audio effect timeline needs a lot of processing grunt regardless.

NVIDIA refuse to support METAL, OSX is built on METAL now and they want Apple to rewrite everything for CUDA instead, it will never happen. AMD are happy to meet customers (yes Apple are a customer) needs instead of demanding they play in their sand pit instead so they will keep getting the business.

Back