Apple's New Facial Recognition iPhone Unlocking Tool Failed in Its First Public Demo

Alright, so I wasted a few minutes watching this a$$hat presentation. The fail, well not so much a fail as the Apple fanboys mention but more so much as he did it wrong the first time. Obviously there're different configurations for the face unlock and he had the probable default of a pin combo. What really struck me as lame was oh we can simply swipe for different apps or screens-android's had that for years. The next few minutes of are a gist of how you can spend $1000 to play with yourself.

As Tiberian and others including my self keep stating, bio-metrics for consumer devices should not be relied on yet. At least a pin combo provides some real security but all this b.s. for face unlock to use pay, turn on, and every other kind of app is lame. It really is true that we're trying to make devices smarter so people can be dumber. For people who have true physical disabilities I believe this can help but the rest, well pull your head out your butt and stop being so f'n lazy.

I don't believe for a moment that Android or MS do a better job of this stuff, just saying no one should be that focused on it. As others have mentioned, there's plenty of other useful things to work on like power systems, screen durability, and upgrade-ability, personal data security(instead of private data going to the manufacturer), prices(really a $1000 for this $hit), availability. For those who say they want to use it professionally, well how about office programs that don't need either MS or Apple to properly open a friggin spreadsheet. Or common secure docs that don't need hundreds per year for annual licenses. I can expect MS or Android not to step up to provide that common ground and quality, it's what all the fanboys say in Apple's defense. It's just a shame that the almighty Apple with an empire capable of controlling global economics can't find it to truly help in such innovations and infrastructure. Much easier to milk consumers to play with themselves.

Last edited:
Just like Apple to take something stupid simple - slide to unlock - and make it so fucking overly complicated they can now call "Face ID" a marketing gimmick more than anything else. As for the photograph thing and it working on this new iPhone X, we don't know that for sure yet and you can be damned certain there are people already at work on a way to get around it even now mere minutes after the demo and I would suspect that within a short period of time after the phone is available in stores someone will find a way.

Oh, and they added the name "Super" to "Retina Display," can't forget about that, that really made the entire commercial aka "special event" worth watching I suppose. :D

But... apple shows people what they want, before they even know they want it.

we were all cool with pin codes and swipes, and then they put a fingerprint reader, and now all of a sudden everyone can't live without one.

Soon all the sheep will get used to it and not be able to live without face ID.

Make fun of it all we want. We are not the target demographic for the $1000 iphone.

less broken phones and better battery's means less phones sold in the future because they last too long.

Let's not forget the industry move to non-user replaceable batteries, I may be wrong, but I swear Ipad started that crap.

Stupid people not realising that any iphone which has not been accessed for over a certain time, or just started up will ALWAYS ask for a passcode...

Click bait for dumb asses.

That being the case, what would be the point of going through the Face ID procedure, it just winds up being a cumbersome 2 authentication system after "a certain time". I guess the presentation guy is "stupid people" then, because he didn't realize it and say something, I'm sure his blood pressure and anxiety skyrocketed with confusion and embarrassment, which is why he was so quick to move to the swipe to close app (re)-feature. Don't worry, when he showed a pretty picture and got his Appleplause, he was feeling better since he was in his safe crowd.

not to mentiond its pretty hard to get a new face fingerprint/eyes once people have copied the data and bypass the physsical reader.

Good point. Someone borrows their phone: 'Hey look at this'. Then afterwards 'Thank you for your biometric data'.

Amazing how dumb we as a society have become. Cool! The phone can map my face for better snap chat masks! Or brand new emoji's to express how I feel... in a text message...

Instead of focusing on new crap like this, how about improving on gorilla glass so that it's even MORE resistant to breaking. Or how about a battery that lasts longer than a day of normal usage? Basic shit like this is what they're ignoring, but instead, just pretty it up and put a "premium" price tag on it.

Yes, because the team behind this are also experts in glass technology, and dabble in cutting edge battery research in their free time.

My life isn't tied to an electronic device. I was recently camping and my phone DID die.. GASP.. and you know what I did? Nothing. I put it away and waiting for the next day. During a flight I would consider the battery life and read a book or take a nap.

All of your scenarios wouldn't affect me, so I won't make situations for them all. When my phone dies I place it to the side and do something else. There is a good chance that if I was using it so much that it has died within a day, I probably should have been doing something more productive.

It is doubtful you NEED to spend 6 hours at a time on your cell phone. Clearly you have an addiction.

Using a COMPUTER for six hours at a time, sure. Using a phone for the same period and bring PRODUCTIVE? Good luck.

So you dont need it therefore nobody else does? Ego much? I know people who use it more than 6 hours a day and constantly get messages, emails, and calls. And some take it home with them. Thats not an addiction to the device - its being a hard worker.

Some of us do have very busy work lives and others have very busy social lives where the only way we can keep in touch with friends who are thousands of miles away is by the phone. You are not the center of the universe.

So you dont need it therefore nobody else does? Ego much? I know people who use it more than 6 hours a day and constantly get messages, emails, and calls. And some take it home with them. Thats not an addiction to the device - its being a hard worker.

Some of us do have very busy work lives and others have very busy social lives where the only way we can keep in touch with friends who are thousands of miles away is by the phone. You are not the center of the universe.

He doesn't care of others' concerns, for other people aren't him.

I always do the same thing when this comes up. I ask "what did you do before cell phones?".. and I mean before the touch screen, Facebook era. If you survived 15 years ago without being constantly connected, why not now?

I always do the same thing when this comes up. I ask "what did you do before cell phones?".. and I mean before the touch screen, Facebook era. If you survived 15 years ago without being constantly connected, why not now?

Irrelevant. What did you do before the internet? You survived without posting to [H] why not now?

Seriously though look at my post. Its not about survival. Some people have jobs that require that level of connectivity in todays society. And furthermore its about quality of life. I dont use my phone that much (I cant hvae it at work at all) but I know plenty of people who do use it that much because they like to keep in touch with people. Its about *quality* of life. Sure its livable without to them, but its not the quality of life they want.

Have you ever heard of maslow's hierarchy? I suggest you look into it.

I can engage in this mentality on occasion, as I am old enough.
Don't see the point in it too much, truth is having all manner of information a swipe away had changed me a lot, and in many, many aspects for the better.. you do learn a lot, and don't even know it sometimes.
It does feel sometimes like too much, I guess.
Now that in the context of battery life.. yes we need more battery, shit more battery, shit shit shit shit shit.
I hate having to constantly monitor my fucking battery, and having charging routines.. using my phone for at least 18-19hours without giving 2 shits about the battery is something I want pretty bad, and I know that would mean at minimum double the typical battery offered (3000ish) maybe 3x.

How is this a fail? the first device didn't work, he picked up the backup and then it worked flawlessly. It's not like they had to stop the presentation.

Your password is expiring in 0 days. Please create a new facial expression password.

Your new facial password must contain a minimum of eight different facial expression characteristics in addition to the following required special facial characters:

1. Raised left eyebrow
2. Right eye closed
3. Jutting chin
4. Pouting lips

I'm sorry, showing teeth is not a valid characteristic. Please try again without invalid characters.

I'm sorry, you are using a facial expression you have used recently. Please try again using a facial password you have not used in the last year.

I'm sorry, One eye iris must be clearly visible. Try not squinting your left eye while your right eye is closed..

I'm sorry, you have used up all your attempts to change your facial password and your account has been locked for security purposes. Please contact our customer service department.

For future login security, please consider setting up facial login verification. Whenever an attempt to login to your phone is made, all you have to do is duplicate a facial expression that is texted to you.

Amazing how dumb we as a society have become. Cool! The phone can map my face for better snap chat masks! Or brand new emoji's to express how I feel... in a text message...

Instead of focusing on new crap like this, how about improving on gorilla glass so that it's even MORE resistant to breaking. Or how about a battery that lasts longer than a day of normal usage? Basic shit like this is what they're ignoring, but instead, just pretty it up and put a "premium" price tag on it.

Dewd you're missing the point! We can't sell more of the planned obsolescence if we focus on those things! By focusing on making everyone's panties wet we sell more phones. I mean... just watch the video. Look at how many times he tells us how beautiful the phone is! I'm so glad he told us how beautiful it is...

It helps for people who can't read but need a phone?

It didn't fail.

Only morons who've never used an iphone think it failed. You have to passcode after a reboot to enable face/touch id. This isn't new, and you can clearly see the message indicating that on his phone. Some intern forgot to unlock it.

Secret project from the feds to get Apple to populate their facial recognition databases? Or mere coincidence? Put on the foil hats and discuss.

Secret project from the feds to get Apple to populate their facial recognition databases? Or mere coincidence? Put on the foil hats and discuss.

What the existing database wasnt good enough?

The touble I have with facial unlock is what is going to prevent a police officer, or other person from Grabbing your phone and flashing it at your face to unlock it?

im still rocking a galaxy S5, i see no need to upgrade right now

I was on mine for over 3 years ..was starting to feel the pinch of 16gb ..I shopped for a year before upgrading ..the phones were newer but not 'better' - they all had less features ..

It was the only phone where the charge port didn't get sloppy .. and one of the last that was mfg to 'last' or be a better consumer choice rather than what is best for mfg .

Scored a V20 under $300 and made the move, miss wireless charging sometimes but its a solid phone with some features that we wont see again on a flagship ..flat 16:9 screen, removable battery, ir blaster..and it had some features that others have adopted after like dual cameras , always on screen , on screen buttons, fingerprint sensor in the rear .. and it was one of the first with Nougat ..which all the 'new' phones are still being released with like the Note 8 & V30 .

Anyway ..agree Apple is playing catch up ..

Kenny

It didn't fail.

Only morons who've never used an iphone think it failed. You have to passcode after a reboot to enable face/touch id. This isn't new, and you can clearly see the message indicating that on his phone. Some intern forgot to unlock it.

Android is the same. You cannot use your fingerprint after a reboot. Have to use the swipe or code the first time.

So I'm not sure why there is such a big deal about it lol

Android is the same. You cannot use your fingerprint after a reboot. Have to use the swipe or code the first time.

So I'm not sure why there is such a big deal about it lol

Because its Apple and they are the whipping boy de jour.

I know that feel. I had a Note 4 for a good while, and I only moved up to LG's V20 a week ago. There simply aren't many choices available for those of us who love IR blaster and removable battery anymore.

I did the same thing last week! My Note 4 still works fine, but I was struggling to resist buying the Note 8, so I bought a mint condition v20 on Swappa.com for $290. I'm thrilled with the v20 so far.

One step closer to a police state. Facial/fingerprint unlock are not protected the same way as a pin. They can compel you to unlock with face/finger, but can't for a pin. Plus they can use it to unlock the phone when you are unconscious, something else a pin would protect.

Nope, not using any of this garbage and putting myself in a position where I have less privacy rights.

I looked at the iPhone X, and I have some concerns about the mschine learning data thar this facial recognition method rely on, since some amount of cloud based processing will be used and we have no idea if my biometrics are sent to Cupertino even if Apple claims otherwise. I think many of us are skeptical if not wary about this.

The other thing is that the phone continues the idea of no button and no jack, and you cannot replace or add anything. The only relieves are that the phone finally supports quick charging and that the phone has finally caught up to flagship android in display density. I dont deny that it looks the part of a slick phone at that.
According to Apple, no face ID data of any kind is sent to the cloud; all processing is done locally on the device. Frankly, given the amount of processing they have stuffed into this phone, I believe that is entirely possible, from a purely technical POV. I suppose it would be easy enough to test though - just go into a shielded room and try unlocking the thing.

According to Apple, no face ID data of any kind is sent to the cloud; all processing is done locally on the device. Frankly, given the amount of processing they have stuffed into this phone, I believe that is entirely possible, from a purely technical POV. I suppose it would be easy enough to test though - just go into a shielded room and try unlocking the thing.

Or even easier just turn off all the radios and try unlocking the thing...

I hope Cupertino doesnt allow for any such data to be sent out of the phone. I can't help but to be wary though.

I would actually love to see that faceid being leveraged for 3d model scanning as well. It would be neat if the iPhone X can scan 3D objects and identify each object as well.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I read something along those lines involving a bust in Cali where either the Feds or local had gotten a court order allowing them to force-ably use the fingerprints of those they were going to bust at that time. It was about 6 months ago.

Back