Apple's New Apology Ad

HardOCP News

[H] News
So what do you think? Is this new ad any better than the first? The original ad has been pulled from the website but nothing has been put up in its place just
yet.

Personally, I think they should have brought back Justin Long and John Hodgman to do a commercial instead ;)

Apology?! My ass. If someone were to wrong me and that was their "apology", we'd still be in an argument. Lame Apple, just lame.

It doesn't sound any better than the first one. Once again there is no admission of guilt on their part, which is usually one of the main factors of any apology I have seen or even ones I have had to write for my company (though mine don't go anywhere nearly as high profile as this one). At least this time they didn't try to make it sound like the apology was on Samsung's part instead of their own.

Did you expect something different? Any company worth their weight in salt would write the apology well enough to check the boxes but doing so using legal jargon that nobody would care to read. It's exactly as I expected it to look.

I like it. It seems genuinely remorseful and demonstrates that Apple is willing to enter into a new, enlightened era of understanding together with Samsung. I look forward to a future filled with happy corporate unity between the two companies.

I like it. It seems genuinely remorseful and demonstrates that Apple is willing to enter into a new, enlightened era of understanding together with Samsung. I look forward to a future filled with happy corporate unity between the two companies.

And that, sir, is some fine sarcasm. :D

The judge is forcing them to apologize for something they're not sorry for doing. So of course it's not going to be sincere. If I felt that way, then my apology wouldn't be sincere either. I'd probably say, sorry, ass face.

Apology?! My ass. If someone were to wrong me and that was their "apology", we'd still be in an argument. Lame Apple, just lame.

There were never told to make an apology. At most they were told to make an acknowledgement, which is what this is.

the Court is out of line here - except when swearing an oath or taking a pledge, ever putting words in the mouth of another just rubs me the wrong way

the notions of duress and coercion come to mind, tho, apparently, the courts are ultimately free to exercise such tactics & like Neo, I, too, have been living in a dream world

to my ears, this smacks more of YOU VILL SIGN ZEE DOCUMENT! OR ELSE! than of meaningful justice rendered

other than a chance to gloat & guffaw at Apple's expense, such public humiliation renders any of the allegedly injured parties precisely what?

inflicting shame as a form of punishment seems outright Medieval - may as well sentence the offender to a few days in the stocks in the town square

meh :mad:

(disclosure: haven't owned/used an Apple device since 1987/1988)

Well done SK....well done indeed :D

There were never told to make an apology. At most they were told to make an acknowledgement, which is what this is.
"Apology" sounds better to those in the media, and most people are more than happy to swallow whatever the media says without question.

lol that's what I was thinking. Guess I don't see the 'news' here

It's still contrite and bitchy. Though I would expect no less from a person, let a lone a company, who is so full of themselves.

It should require the Apple logo to be in the apology. As it stands, why would anyone read that wall of text? If it had the Apple logo, people would probably recognize it and read it.

That's a lot better than their previous attempt.

Looks identical to me, other than the further ranting about other unrelated lawsuits where Samsung was "in the wrong" :rolleyes:

Again, zero actual apology there. It's little more than just a statement of fact.

Another example...
newspaper.jpg

Apology is a term that was inserted by the media. Not the court.

Perhaps, but what the judge said was that it had to be a statement intended to "correct the damaging impression" against Samsung. I think this statement/apology/whatever still fails to do that. Clearly the original failed as well, since they were forced to re-write it.

Whether you call it an apology or not, it still stands that they were dicks about it and got called out.

Perhaps, but what the judge said was that it had to be a statement intended to "correct the damaging impression" against Samsung. I think this statement/apology/whatever still fails to do that.
The court wrote the statement to be published, not Apple. Were you not aware of this?

Perhaps, but what the judge said was that it had to be a statement intended to "correct the damaging impression" against Samsung. I think this statement/apology/whatever still fails to do that. Clearly the original failed as well, since they were forced to re-write it.

Whether you call it an apology or not, it still stands that they were dicks about it and got called out.

They will be dicks about it no matter what. Trying to force them to feel bad about it is like yelling at the tide.

It is a statement of facts.

It is not an apology, and it is not signed by Apple or any of its representatives.

I agree, better than the last, but still not sufficient.

I guess no one at apple knows what the word Apology means.

They neither admit to doing any wrong nor relay any remorse or ill feeling for any harm it may have done Samsung.

So in no shape or form does that meet the English definition of an APOLOGY.

What bullshit. At this point, they should allow Samsung to write the apology for Apple as punishment, and make Apple publish it.

Apple added to the original statement statements the court didn't agree with. Those statements were removed for this ad. What's left is what the court demanded they publish (verbatim) and little else.

the Court is out of line here - except when swearing an oath or taking a pledge, ever putting words in the mouth of another just rubs me the wrong way

the notions of duress and coercion come to mind, tho, apparently, the courts are ultimately free to exercise such tactics & like Neo, I, too, have been living in a dream world

to my ears, this smacks more of YOU VILL SIGN ZEE DOCUMENT! OR ELSE! than of meaningful justice rendered

other than a chance to gloat & guffaw at Apple's expense, such public humiliation renders any of the allegedly injured parties precisely what?

inflicting shame as a form of punishment seems outright Medieval - may as well sentence the offender to a few days in the stocks in the town square

meh :mad:

(disclosure: haven't owned/used an Apple device since 1987/1988)

The rebel in me hears what you are saying, but the fact of the matter is that Apple launched a PR smear campaign against Samsung which was over the top. If this little blurb is all that is required, it is hardly making an example of Apple, but it will make them or anyone else think twice in the future. Apple completely abused advertising and in the eyes of the courts they misled consumers (misleading consumers? egad!).

Hah... now they should be fined for lying to the court about how long it would take them to write up a new "apology" because they obviously were able to put it up withing 48 hours, instead of the 14 days quote, they previously mentioned.

The only reason Apple needed 14 days to revised, is because they had to see what Samsung were going to write, patent then copy it.

Back