Apple's iPhone 5s being announced tomorrow!!

2014 iPhone will sport 4.5-5 inch screen
http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/06/analyst-ming-chi-kuo-2014-iphone-will-sport-4-5-5-inch-screen/

Apple’s 2014 iPhone update is set to include a model with a larger display. Kuo pinpoints the screen increase to be between 4.5 and 5 inches. He also says that the display will continue to be based off of the in-cell touch screen technology. This display configuration, introduced with the iPhone 5, allows Apple to install thinner displays, and this means overall svelter phones.

I won't get too excited yet, but I can see a 4.5" iPhone being their best seller, and a 5" iPhone could probably be my first iPhone. Can't wait to read all about the event tomorrow.

Really? I mean if there's one thing Apple does right is make their OS smooth and lag free for the most part. Do you really think a quad core processor will significantly improve upon that?

It will improve on tasks that can be multi-threaded easily.

Say you browse an app, the app has to make any number of calls say to download images, process data, etc.

All of that takes compute time and can be easily spun on multiple processor cores. Jump from iPhone 4 to 4S was huge for apps that did threading correctly.

It will improve on tasks that can be multi-threaded easily.

Say you browse an app, the app has to make any number of calls say to download images, process data, etc.

All of that takes compute time and can be easily spun on multiple processor cores. Jump from iPhone 4 to 4S was huge for apps that did threading correctly.

2 CPU are idle on my desktop most of the time. 4 CPUs on tablets is more spec wanking than anything practical.

Much better to have 2 faster CPUs than 4 slower ones. Better to have 2 CPUs and More GPU power than 4 CPUs and less GPU.

Samsung has surpassed Apple in the smart phone market as far as the "cool" factor. People see the iPhone being for people who can't handle a real phone and something your grandparents are using. I work at a law firm where the majority of the attorneys are 50+ years old and they want the iPhone because it is easy to use. The younger attorneys all have Android phones because they like the bigger size, better screen, more RAM and MicroSD slot as well as being able to buy an extended battery if needed. Stuff that the older people could care less about.

Apple is now 2 years behind the curve. Everyone wants a bigger screen and the 4" iPhone screen is entirely too small for a "smart phone". It was nice 2 years ago but they missed the boat...

I don't know. I had a Note 2 and honestly, the big screen became a hindrance. I thought maybe it would settle my craving for a tablet and smartphone in one, but it did neither. The oversized UI looks like it is for people who can't see well. The resolution wasn't that great at all either. I understand the Note 3 fixes this, but the UI is still far too big.

I just don't get the big screen fad. After a few weeks (probably days), the new features of a phone wear off for me, and I just end up using it as a phone to text, call, and browse. Occasional game. I think iPhone does these things all better from my experience.

Oh and music. I can't say how frustrated I am that each and every Android phone I've tried had such a shitty headphone amp which made music so much quieter.

Size is really up to the person.

I used multiple different phone, but in the end I went back to iPhone because of the phone size and apps.

4" is probably my max for a phone, if I want anything bigger I use tablet or laptop. Another thing that bothers me is App quality, which I don't think I need to elaborate more.

I don't know. I had a Note 2 and honestly, the big screen became a hindrance.

AT&T gave me a Note2 for free, and I'm SO glad I got 3 defective ones in a row, it's not even funny. It's just TOO damn big.

Now, that being said, just because he said "The younger guys are all going for larger phones" doesn't mean "They're all going for Note 2s and Megas." They might want a 4.7" screen instead of the 4" iPhone, doesn't mean they want a 5.5".

I have a MacBook Air and iPad 3 for my mobile devices.. I definitely don't need a huge ass 6" phone.

But I will say sometimes 4" can be a tad too small for a display, I think 4.3" is the sweet spot personally. But I enjoy my iPhone 5 a lot, and its pleasant running my iCloud ecosystem with my mobile devices, but I always keep my options open for the Android phone that will finally get me to switch. Biggest reasons I enjoy the iPhone is the fluidity in the operating system.

kind of ridiculously over-sized for a phone. It's niche product that Apple won't go near.

You say that.

But you also see the new trend of smart watches and google glasses........

Apple has always been the company to release products that work so very well with other apple products. So maybe if they are playing around with the idea of a 6'' iphone....they have a watch or glasses in the works to work along with it.....so its a hands free phone, but phablet when you want to watch movies (apple tv/netflix) or web surfing/games.

A 6 inch+ phone isn't that crazy really. With an ear piece you never have to put it to your ear/hold it. So the only time you'll be using it is when you would use it like a tablet.....movies/games/surfing.

And for those with the iphone 5 saying it wont be worth the upgrade.......

It has been rumored the 5s is 35% more efficient than the 5.....so I would assume way better battery life (maybe even a bigger MAH battery in the 5S). So faster/better battery life/more efficient processor.

So it's nothing to shake a stick at. Physically its the same as the 5....the guts however, are quite different....

It's much like the pre-Haswell ultrabooks.....sure 4-6 hours was great, but now up to 10+?! Yeah I would switch.

I'm curious, if I were to trade-in/sell my iPhone 5 on Verizon, they wouldn't throw a bitch fit if I bought the 5S right? I thought I read you had to be eligible for an upgrade for the Apple trade-in program, which would kinda blow.

If not, I'll still be getting a new iPhone 5, my power button broke again :D

I'm curious, if I were to trade-in/sell my iPhone 5 on Verizon, they wouldn't throw a bitch fit if I bought the 5S right? I thought I read you had to be eligible for an upgrade for the Apple trade-in program, which would kinda blow.

If not, I'll still be getting a new iPhone 5, my power button broke again :D

You can buy a off-contract iphone 5, and soon to be 5s via www.apple.com, or ebay.....

VZ Wireless may give you flack, but they cannot reject you.

You can buy a off-contract iphone 5, and soon to be 5s via www.apple.com, or ebay.....

VZ Wireless may give you flack, but they cannot reject you.

I assumed that was OK, but I am guessing the Apple trade-in program will only be for those eligible for an upgrade?

Oh look, more of the same.
Wow.. Nothing's even been announced and the cynics are crying already.

I'm excited to see what's next. I bought an s4 a few weeks back and returned it a few days later because even the most basic functions twitch and stutter. Why can't I get the buttery smoothness that iPhone has with the functions, screen size, microsd, and features that the top end android phones have?

Wow.. Nothing's even been announced and the cynics are crying already.

I'm excited to see what's next. I bought an s4 a few weeks back and returned it a few days later because even the most basic functions twitch and stutter. Why can't I get the buttery smoothness that iPhone has with the functions, screen size, microsd, and features that the top end android phones have?

Flash GPE rom to it? Not sure which models you can do that though. Waiting to see how the update works on the S4 in october and how well the note 3 runs.

Note 2 user here. To be fair iPhone has its share of missed touches, twitch and stutter and other "problems" associated with Android. I personally don't have a problem with the Note. I also would agree that the iPhone is becoming "grandmas" phone to go to. It use to be everyone I know had one and now, not so much. Even my niece and nephew, 19 and 21 have switched. When I asked them why they said it was "boring". At the end of the day it's all the same anyway, and all our phones do the same thing.

2 CPU are idle on my desktop most of the time. 4 CPUs on tablets is more spec wanking than anything practical.

Much better to have 2 faster CPUs than 4 slower ones. Better to have 2 CPUs and More GPU power than 4 CPUs and less GPU.

The point just flew over your head...

x2

I read a pretty interesting article about mobile (ARM) CPU's recently that discussed the benefits to multi-core SOC's in smartphones and tablets. They pretty much came to the conclusion that having more than 2 cores is unnecessary and often slower due to the need to downclock the cores to compensate for the heat it generates. And even then, in the examples they gave, while it didn't happen often, all 4 cores could only be used simultaneously for very short bursts due to the heat it produced. That's not even getting into the power draw problems.

I think 4+ cores has a future on smartphones, but not at this point. Its overkill for the type of tasks a smartphone generally needs to perform with quite a few negative tradeoffs.

iPhones's CPUs may be slower than some of the Android phones, but the iOS experience is much more fluid and snappier than Samsung Touchwiz could ever be. That's the main thing I noticed using my Galaxy S3. I thought about trading it in for 5, but now iOS 7 may actually push me into ditching my S3 for the 5S.

I can't wait for the announcement to start!

Well, this is going to be boring, as the rumor mill has had the goods on pretty much everything for a while.
I am expecting nothing beyond what we already know.
I would love to see Apple pull the rabbit out of the hat, but dang, there are no secrets anymore.

Which is bad for Apple because people, a lot of people are going to leave the Apple ecosystem after this non-announcement. I am awaiting my departure from my 4S until after this, not because I am expecting anything, but I am just not in a rush and I haven't decided which android phone to go to.

The champ rises again...

iPhones-graphite-iPhone-5S-teaser-002-e1378626738706.jpg

Read the rest here

Will be preordering to replace my iPhone 5.

Way to stay on top of the iPhone game!! Will you have any money left over to buy 1337 hax for CoD Ghosts though???

Meh, just the same minor upgrades over and over. It's time for them to make a jump or have more options. I'd get a new iphone if they announce that they are releasing a 5"+ version. I know it comes down to preference but myself and alot of people I know would like a bigger iphone screen. I'm not a fan of the slim narrow iphone.

Which is bad for Apple because people, a lot of people are going to leave the Apple ecosystem after this non-announcement

:rolleyes:

The out of touch, over-reactions to Apple [non]announcements, are the one consistent thing we can continue to count on. People have to recognize that they don't necessarily represent a large swath of consumers.

Personally, I am likely to switch my decision to by an iPad to an Android tablet because of how much I detest the new iOS 7 aesthetics. But I don't assume a lot of people are going to join me in what is a personal decision.

It could be that Apple wins with a huge influx of pre-teen girls and middle age Bronies, with their new flat, pink and pastel design.

Well, this is going to be boring, as the rumor mill has had the goods on pretty much everything for a while.
I am expecting nothing beyond what we already know.
I would love to see Apple pull the rabbit out of the hat, but dang, there are no secrets anymore.

Which is bad for Apple because people, a lot of people are going to leave the Apple ecosystem after this non-announcement. I am awaiting my departure from my 4S until after this, not because I am expecting anything, but I am just not in a rush and I haven't decided which android phone to go to.

Exactly. We all know the iPhone 5S is basically just iPhone 5 part 2. It's the same design, same size, same screen. Just the typical annual upgrades of better / faster internals. Plus this phone has been leaked all over, we know pretty much everything coming today. Zero excitement on this release, just same ol same ol.

Saying all of that, watch the 5S become the biggest best selling iPhone of all time :rolleyes:

For me the Note 3, Nexus-Five, LG G2, or HTC One GPE phones are way cooler to get.

fingerprint reader was done on a Atrix. And people hated it. But since Apple is doing it the sheep will love it. Like it is some gift from God himself. Maybe they should move the headphone jack to the side. Really blow peoples minds with their innovation.

Meh, just the same minor upgrades over and over. It's time for them to make a jump or have more options. I'd get a new iphone if they announce that they are releasing a 5"+ version. I know it comes down to preference but myself and alot of people I know would like a bigger iphone screen. I'm not a fan of the slim narrow iphone.

I think a bigger screen and custom keyboards, or at least Swype/Swiftkey styles, would have resulted in quite a few Android users picking one up. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't take this opportunity to do it, considering they're going to two models now.

Thinking a fingerprint reader will sell more phones than a larger screen makes me think they're out of touch with the market. A 4" model for the loyalists who like the old size, and a 5" model to actually compete with the Galaxy S4 would seem logical.

Flash GPE rom to it? Not sure which models you can do that though. Waiting to see how the update works on the S4 in october and how well the note 3 runs.

And there's the problem. I'm paying $650 for a device. Why do I have to flash the too on it to come closer to the experience I would expect from the specs? Hardcore android fans will rant all day about 1.9 quad core this, and 2gb of ram that, but at the end of the day the android user experience is subpar compared to what an iPhone with a fraction of the specs can do with ios. Don't get me wrong, I will go right back to that s4 if apple doesn't pull out something really nice today. I just wish I could have my cake and eat it too.

And there's the problem. I'm paying $650 for a device. Why do I have to flash the too on it to come closer to the experience I would expect from the specs? Hardcore android fans will rant all day about 1.9 quad core this, and 2gb of ram that, but at the end of the day the android user experience is subpar compared to what an iPhone with a fraction of the specs can do with ios. Don't get me wrong, I will go right back to that s4 if apple doesn't pull out something really nice today. I just wish I could have my cake and eat it too.

Are you on Verizon?

2014 iPhone will sport 4.5-5 inch screen
http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/06/analyst-ming-chi-kuo-2014-iphone-will-sport-4-5-5-inch-screen/

Apple’s 2014 iPhone update is set to include a model with a larger display. Kuo pinpoints the screen increase to be between 4.5 and 5 inches. He also says that the display will continue to be based off of the in-cell touch screen technology. This display configuration, introduced with the iPhone 5, allows Apple to install thinner displays, and this means overall svelter phones.

My upgrade is due this year. If they made the 4.5" - 5.0" version this year I would seriously consider it, but after the Note 3 unveiling, I'm going to go with that.

Ah. Kinda surprised you didn't try a GPE S4 in the first place then. I'm sure their return policy is more annoying, but it does exist at least.

I can relate to your dilemma more being on VZW, as there is no option for an out of the box phone with an up-to-date vanilla experience except the iPhone. I had purchased a Galaxy Nexus expecting vanilla and fast updates, and still ended up with custom roms.

If the true GPE/Nexus phones were available on Verizon, I'd buy full price in a heartbeat.

lloose, I understand what you're going through, because the S4 (IMHO) was a huge disappointment as it was released. Samsung jammed WAY too much crap in there, and it seems a bit laggy, yes. The GPE S4 however, is quite nice. Now, take the HTC One, and it's just a fantastic phone! No lag, even with Sense, and it's even faster as a GPE. This is the first phone I've owned in 4 years or so, where I PREFER the Sense overlay, just with a custom launcher.

As far as the Atrix having a fingerprint scanner, it was AWFUL and implemented poorly. This was an example of someone at Motorola either saying "This will be SO COOL!" or "This will sell a TON of phones to a bunch of suckers!". It was ahead of its time, and left a bad taste in people's mouths. As much as I dislike Apple, I have a feeling they'll implement this one correctly.

I have a iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4, I greatly prefer the iPhone for daily use. I find myself using two hands way to often with the Nexus 4, it gets worse battery life, has a slower camera, worse notification system, and I think various things take more clicks than the iPhone. For just messing around, I like the bigger screen of the Nexus 4 though.

Also I have always maintained there are more good apps on iOS than Android, and nothing about the Nexus 4 changes my mind on that.

Exactly. We all know the iPhone 5S is basically just iPhone 5 part 2. It's the same design, same size, same screen. Just the typical annual upgrades of better / faster internals. Plus this phone has been leaked all over, we know pretty much everything coming today. Zero excitement on this release, just same ol same ol.

Saying all of that, watch the 5S become the biggest best selling iPhone of all time :rolleyes:

For me the Note 3, Nexus-Five, LG G2, or HTC One GPE phones are way cooler to get.

Everything was pretty much known for the Gnote 3.

Which website do you recommend for live coverage of the event? Something with not too much fanboyism wow-ing at every sentence.

Back