Apple's iPad Air 2 'Smokes' Android Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting we buy based on price/performance?

For the average person, the Apple Eco system is much better than having any of those other devices. More apps (of better quality) and better integration with your iPhone, Mac and AppleTV. You can argue it all you want, but with Yosemite the Apple eco system has taken a huge step forward.

How weird that people don't agree with you, or so the over 90% worldwide Android market share would seem to prove.

Irrational hatred of all things Apple, denying anything from Apple might be a solid performer, no matter how much proof is in front of them.

Nothing irrational about it. My dislike of Apple is completely due to rational thinking.
I dislike their "walled garden" approach, the high prices for their locked down PC's (can't even upgrade the ram on most the new Mac's), the lack of an SD card, the malware called iTunes, etc.

And lets not forget, these comparisons between iOS and Android are always made using Android flagships, never the 98% of the absolute garbage, low end devices that account for most of the Android marketshare.

Sure, lets compare the latest expensive iOS tablet to a 2 year old Android device you can get for $99

Yes the new tablet is fast, but they are also playing games with the benchmarks, just like they did with the old PowerPC based Macs by picking a benchmark that runs best on their hardware.

The site your on, apparently you have to be told that. Also the benches from Apple Insider and what http://www.gsmarena.com differ, so who is publishing incorrect information (Ipad Air 2) isn't even included in GSM's results.

I would have to question gsm's results since they state they got numbers on a just released product, I will only believe someone who actually has one in their hands and has tested it.
well yeah, you would need to clarify that since, well you know, the first post of this thread doesn't list any specific models :rolleyes:

Yes the new tablet is fast, but they are also playing games with the benchmarks, just like they did with the old PowerPC based Macs by picking a benchmark that runs best on their hardware.

Last I checked, Samsung are the ones deliberately messing with the benchmarks by using performance modes that only work with the short benchmarks.

After using Samsung Android devices the last few years I just wanna shove a Lollipop up Google's ass chewing Jelly Beans while making Gingerbread men after eating a KitKat when I really wanted Key Lime Pie. What's next Google? Android 6.0 Diabetes?

I seriously hated the S3 (Yeah that whole Google Pay really took the fuck off didn't it? What 2 years ago, at least Apple lined up retailer support.) and now my S4 which can't get voice right at all. I will give my money to an American company like Apple iphone or Microsoft Windows phone.

More apps (of better quality) and better integration with your iPhone, Mac and AppleTV.

Google Play has as many (or more apps) and I've seen no proof of better quality apps.
Both stores have a lot of good apps and a crapton of bad ones.

still slower than the Surface Pro 3

Guess they were afraid to compare to the Windows tablets....

(hey, someone had to say it)

Here you go, same benchmark. iPad Air 2 trounces the entry level Surface Pro 3 (Core i3) in multicore and singlecore benchmarks.
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/1072525?baseline=1061742

The Core i5/i7 versions have turbo which gets them much higher scores in this particular short benchmark. However those models are known to have heat/throttling issues for any extended workload.

Apple built a DAMN good piece of silicon. Now if only GPU performance could improve to at least match Intel's.

The point they're missing here is that I don't care how fast the i-anything is. My Google Nexus 7 is perfectly fast enough for what I use it for, and I have a custom ROM running on it that lets me do whatever I want. If the iAwesome 9.0 is a billion times as fast, I'm still not going to switch to it due to the overbearingly closed environment that is iOS, and due to the fact that why would I spend money when what I already have meets all my needs?

Tablets? What year is this? 2010? I thought we were supposed to care about watches or something now.

:p

It's not surprising the iPad Air 2 benchmarks faster in many things. For graphics performance it's not surprising because Apple uses a pretty high end licensed GPU, and can use a bleeding edge and very good ARM implementation, giving it a significant time. For other benchmarks, particularly web benchmarks, Apple can optimize the hell out of it to make it score well. I question the value of mobile CPU benchmarks, because almost all of them suck badly and have serious flaws in fitness as benchmarking tools. When Apple touts them, it's really time to give extra scrutiny.

Oh goody. WTF, Nivida Shield, Nexus 9 should blow it away in the GPU department, maybe even the CPU, but this chart is for all categories combined.
Nexus 9 was added to the chart:

IxcW9HD.png

Single core performance is the same as A8X, but 3 Enhanced Cyclone cores in A8X soundly beats the quad core K1, at least in Geekbench3 (which is crap). No submission for the A8X is pretty suspicious though.

Why didn't they include any of the baytrail win 8 tablets?

(My Lenovo Miix 2 is sad. But being as I picked it up as a refurb for $134 shipped, it can be sad)

Found the A8X submission: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/1075334?baseline=1061742

The A8X score is inflated* due to exceptional scores in AES and SHA portions of GB3 and the A8X's memory bandwidth advantage looks to be monstrously huge, even more than the raw DRAM specs suggest. In the A8 die analysis, some people have noted that Cyclone has scratch pad RAM throughout the chip, and that may be what's giving the huge memory bandwidth advantage.

* called out because those are not functions tablets perform as often with the weighting given to it by geekbench. one of many reasons why GB sux.

Last I checked, Samsung are the ones deliberately messing with the benchmarks by using performance modes that only work with the short benchmarks.
Sorry but Samsung is a perfect model of capitalism, with no such history of unethical behavior such as bribery and price fixing.

Now Apple is a completely evil company that must be destroyed because of [insert latest Apple overblown scandal here].

The benchmark I want to see is all the exact same ARM based tablets compared to the Intel Atom Quad core tablets, the Celeron N series, and the Pentium N Quad series (Dell 3147) -- and maybe the Core i5 found in the Surface Pro for good measure.

I'm guessing the ARM tablets probably wouldn't come out looking nearly as shiny.

I like the ARM core's under Linux, but my own experience with them has been that the Intel x86 derived cores tend to pummel them most of the time (and I do day to day work as an iMX6 programmer working with barebox and the kernel itself -- and spent most of today rooting around in the kernel source swearing at an issue with the sys_tz offset not getting properly).

It may smoke 1+ year old tablets, but let's add some snapdragon 805 and 810 in there with android L for comparison.

What exactly does this tablet do that smokes previous generations? Play more advanced 3d games? Because even my gen 1 Nexus tablet loads applications near instantaneously.

I seriously hated the S3 (Yeah that whole Google Pay really took the fuck off didn't it? What 2 years ago, at least Apple lined up retailer support.) and now my S4 which can't get voice right at all. I will give my money to an American company like Apple iphone or Microsoft Windows phone.

I'm still using my S3 after 2 1/2 years, and each time it was upgraded, it was an improvement.
I get a full day on the battery under normal use, and it runs everything I need it to.

Would like to get something newer like the S5, but can't justify the cost for a want. Maybe after the S6 comes out and the S5 gets a bit cheaper.

And lets not forget, these comparisons between iOS and Android are always made using Android flagships, never the 98% of the absolute garbage, low end devices that account for most of the Android marketshare.

I'm pretty sure any 100 dollar Android tablet will smoke any 100 dollar Apple tablet.

Are you suggesting we buy based on price/performance?

For the average person, the Apple Eco system is much better than having any of those other devices. More apps (of better quality) and better integration with your iPhone, Mac and AppleTV. You can argue it all you want, but with Yosemite the Apple eco system has taken a huge step forward.

Please try to avoid defining the mythical "average person" as someone who is sitting on half a dozen Apple devices. Such people are anything BUT average.

More apps: (don't give a shit, my phone does what I need it to do and nothing more, as it wastes battery for all that extra crap).

Better quality: Sorry, but the Apple market has it's share of crap too. And that's not even taking into account whether or not you find their base OS worthwhile or not.

Better integration with your iPhone: Don't own
Mac: Don't own, don't care for the OS, the UI or the price premium. Plus, I've never been big on "We'll give you what WE think you need".

Apple TV: Don't own.

As for the Apple ecosystem (yes, the proper usage), since I don't own ANY apple devices, the "ecosystem" is utterly meaningless.

And that's BEFORE I question any such need, or worthwhile use of a tablet.

So. Tell me how this vaunted "ecosystem" works for me better than a Google account (which doesn't see much use either). And I'd appreciate real data, instead of requiring me to subscribe to the Faulty Fanboy Framework Fiction.

So. Tell me how this vaunted "ecosystem" works for me better than a Google account (which doesn't see much use either). And I'd appreciate real data, instead of requiring me to subscribe to the Faulty Fanboy Framework Fiction.
You've chosen not to participate in Apple's ecosystem so why are you sitting here arguing that you deserve an answer as to why you don't find it relevant?

Please try to avoid defining the mythical "average person" as someone who is sitting on half a dozen Apple devices. Such people are anything BUT average.

More apps: (don't give a shit, my phone does what I need it to do and nothing more, as it wastes battery for all that extra crap).

Better quality: Sorry, but the Apple market has it's share of crap too. And that's not even taking into account whether or not you find their base OS worthwhile or not.

Better integration with your iPhone: Don't own
Mac: Don't own, don't care for the OS, the UI or the price premium. Plus, I've never been big on "We'll give you what WE think you need".

Apple TV: Don't own.

As for the Apple ecosystem (yes, the proper usage), since I don't own ANY apple devices, the "ecosystem" is utterly meaningless.

And that's BEFORE I question any such need, or worthwhile use of a tablet.

Just 2 Apple devices is enough to value the "ecosystem". Apple has better integration with their other products.

OK you just broke the market... YOU don't benefit from the Apple ecosystem, there for Apple should be out of business... Does the world know Chas (otherwise should be known as Jesus) sees no value in Apple?

Pretty much everyone on this forum probably perceives less value in the Apple ecosystem because we all like tech and have much more experience then most people.

My girlfiend who has a HTC One like mine... is ok with the phone but she hates that its a bitch to get pictures off the phone. Bitches about it all the time. Her sister has an iphone and photos are automatically synced to her ipads (both are what I would call average).

They are "average" people doing VERY common things with these devices. iPhone is just easier and thought some of the more common things through better.

Shit I STILL cannot use Google Navigation/maps to lookup and goto a friends house in my contact list. I have to remember to go to my contacts and THEN it opens navigation. Lots of people complaining about that change to me it seems like a usability "duh" to allow you to select addresses from contacts inside of navigation/maps. I know its a small nag but an example of the detail Apple does put into its limited features.

I am going for the easy statement.
I would certainly hope that a $500-$700 piece of hardware would perform better than a $180 fire hdx........

So now the Android fanboys are mad because someone is comparing the new apple device to "old hardware".

Its ok though when the Samsung god drops their new phone in April and compares it to the iPhone that was release the previous September.

Double standard much?:rolleyes:

Also, it is funny when [H] members talk about customization, boot loaders, roms, etc like everyone does that shit.

Just 2 Apple devices is enough to value the "ecosystem". Apple has better integration with their other products.

OK you just broke the market... YOU don't benefit from the Apple ecosystem, there for Apple should be out of business... Does the world know Chas (otherwise should be known as Jesus) sees no value in Apple?

Pretty much everyone on this forum probably perceives less value in the Apple ecosystem because we all like tech and have much more experience then most people.

My girlfiend who has a HTC One like mine... is ok with the phone but she hates that its a bitch to get pictures off the phone. Bitches about it all the time. Her sister has an iphone and photos are automatically synced to her ipads (both are what I would call average).

They are "average" people doing VERY common things with these devices. iPhone is just easier and thought some of the more common things through better.

Shit I STILL cannot use Google Navigation/maps to lookup and goto a friends house in my contact list. I have to remember to go to my contacts and THEN it opens navigation. Lots of people complaining about that change to me it seems like a usability "duh" to allow you to select addresses from contacts inside of navigation/maps. I know its a small nag but an example of the detail Apple does put into its limited features.

Removing pictures off an android is just as easy as removing them from an iphone(they finally patched the USB drive support).

Yeah iPhone is easier for non-tech people I agree but for someone to take the time to learn the device, is not the most efficient. Also for Google Maps, just type in the contact name and it pops up in the search bar aslong as you have their address on file. Or you can say "navigate to john's house/home" and works just fine aswell.

If this has already been pointed out, my apologies. The Nvidia Shield that was used in this benchmark is NOT the 64 bit Denver chip in the Nexus 9. The Nexus 9 scores 1807 at GSM Arena and Gizmodo benched it at 1907 in Geekbench single core and 3220 in multi core which puts it pretty much on par with the Air 2.

http://www.gsmarena.com/tegra_k1_denver_and_nexus_9_benchmarked-news-9953.php

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-9-storms-through-Geekbench-Tegra-K1-outperforms-Apple-iPhone-6s-A8_id61825

The 64 bit Denver in the Nexus 9 is neck and neck with Apple's A8X. How convenient that Apple Insider didn't include the Nexus 9 benchmarks.

You like blondes/Apple, I like brunettes/Android. Different strokes for different folks. I am just glad we have economical/value options.

So now the Android fanboys are mad because someone is comparing the new apple device to "old hardware".

Its ok though when the Samsung god drops their new phone in April and compares it to the iPhone that was release the previous September.

Double standard much?:rolleyes:

Also, it is funny when [H] members talk about customization, boot loaders, roms, etc like everyone does that shit.

The Nexus 9 launches on Nov 2nd which means their release dates are within 10 days of each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back