Apple Wins Patent On Technology That Blocks Your Phone Camera

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple was just granted a patent on technology that disables the photo and video recording capabilities of your iPhone using an infrared signal. Oddly enough, the patent image below shows a diagram of how your phone would be blocked from "illegally" recording at a concert. Since when was that illegal? Thanks to Graeme Thomson for the link.

BREAKING NEWS!

Apple sues 3M for manufacturing of products that infringe on patent that blocks cell phone cameras from recording.
3M is a worldwide leading manufacturer of masking tape, duct tape and other various adhesive tapes.

Apple sues Samsung from distributing small pieces of tape with new cell phones. This infringes on Apples camera-blocking patent.

BREAKING NEWS!

Apple sues 3M for manufacturing of products that infringe on patent that blocks cell phone cameras from recording.
3M is a worldwide leading manufacturer of masking tape, duct tape and other various adhesive tapes.

Apple sues Samsung from distributing small pieces of tape with new cell phones. This infringes on Apples camera-blocking patent.

LOL that would be great!

Put tape over the camera to get around that security and thus imposing it on yourself anyways.

Looks like the camera itself would detect the IR not some other thing you could tape over.

Not illegal to record a concert on your phone. But it is a colossal waste of time, and an annoyance to everyone in the venue that is trying to enjoy the show in the moment.

Nobody watches their shitty recordings after the fact. I hope this tech works and is widely adopted by traveling bands.

It's illegal under current interpretation of copyright law. Very difficult to enforce (youtube take downs as an example) but if an artist wanted to, they could argue it in court

Couldn't you easily bypass the technology by adding a filter for that wavelength to your camera lens? I could even see a smart phone case manufacture building this into the lens cover.

If the do, they're probably a foot in he grave already.

Um.... wouldn't a case on the phone also block these? At least from the back? Then lets think about this.... would I buy a phone that had this in it? Nope. Lastly, whats driving Apple to do this? Is there some draconian law coming down the pipe soon that Apple is going to leverage for profit? All of this sounds terrible. Why would I ever want any of it in a device?

Someone is already working on a bypass to disable this anyway, the idea has been tossed around for a few years now so this is nothing new and I'm not talking about Apple doing research, it's old news to be honest (the idea of using infrared to send signals to disrupt/disable recording of certain events).

The funny thing is movie theatres in China have been installing large infra red displays behind the screens for decades, it whitewashes pretty much any digital camera that is pointed at it, in an effort (which has been largely successful) to combat piracy .....

Yeah, as has been stated, it should be a matter of seconds before someone starts selling cheap optical infrared filters that can be taped to their phones.

The funny thing is movie theatres in China have been installing large infra red displays behind the screens for decades, it whitewashes pretty much any digital camera that is pointed at it, in an effort (which has been largely successful) to combat piracy .....

Meh, it prevents cams. Who the hell wants cams anyway. That junk is unwatchable.

Stupid idea to patent. This makes it so that only iPhone users are blocked. Android won't adopt it because of the patent and the fact they want to differentiate themselves.

Way to smack your users in the face. How many people are going to be pissed when they get they can't take video at the concert they're at but their friends in a different section (using an Android/etc.) show them all of the sweet footage they grabbed.

Meh, it prevents cams. Who the hell wants cams anyway. That junk is unwatchable.

Prevents cams that don't have the $1 IR filter on it. Gives them a false sense of security.

Yeah, as has been stated, it should be a matter of seconds before someone starts selling cheap optical infrared filters that can be taped to their phones.

Already out there. I'm sure the add-on lenses will just come stock with it now.

They could possibly do a visible light that strobes at a frequency undetectable to the human eye. The pattern would do the same thing as this.

Last edited:
As if we needed more reasons not to buy Apple crap.

Plus, there is prior art, it is OBVIOUS under the art, and therefore unpatentable ..... which of course means they grant the patent. #RonnieRaygun

I-Phones unable to create demo tapes for local rock band practicing in their garage, news at 11.

You just need a big banner above the stage saying "Anyone recording this on their phone is a total wanker!" Or words to that effect.

Bill Clinton's meeting with Loretta Lynch to get them off the hook for all of the corruption. FBI told everyone nearby they could not take pictures, record video or make calls.

I can see this product being used in the future so no one has to get involved, they just shine an IR beam at you.

Back