Apple Will Reportedly Release An iPhone Without Any Ports In 2021

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited? No ports at all!

"Today’s report from Kuo paints a messy picture of the 2020 and 2021 iPhone lineup.

Essentially, if Kuo’s supply chain sources are correct, we will get a total of five new iPhone models in 2020, an LCD iPhone SE 2 during the first half of the year and four OLED models in the fall. In 2021, we can reportedly expect the iPhone SE 2 Plus during the first half of the year, followed by updates to the rest of the lineup in the fall.

Kuo doesn’t make any clear guesses on pricing for these new iPhones, but Apple appears to be targeting every possible segment of the market with such a diverse iPhone lineup."

https://ww.9to5mac.com/2019/12/05/kuo-iphone-2020-and-2021/

And in 2024 you can get the new iPhone that comes without a screen!! :)

Where we're going you won't need a screen.

futurama_06_0603_act2.jpg

I love how basically everyone complaining about this isn't an iPhone or Apple customer to begin with.

I've been an iPhone user for many years and this is incredibly stupid.

Execution is everything. So much of what tech does is relative to the landscape that its in. If everyone has entire desktops that operate as wireless charging mats or if wireless charging could affect entire rooms, most people wouldn't even question lack of ports. Granted we don't yet, but context is critical. If the devs see further than we do about future tech I don't necessarily think it makes any sense to question until we have said device in our hands. As regardless we're talking theoretical and based around the knowledge we have today and not in September of 2021, which is basically two years away.

All that said, this is also a rumor. Granted Ming-Chi Kuo has a track record of accuracy, I don't deny that at all, but even he would acknowledge (and the article does as well) that this is something Apple is experimenting with. A lot can happen in two years, this development fork might not even make it to a physical product. Getting upset about a theoretical product also doesn't make a lot of sense.

Onlything that gets plugged into my iPhone is the charger, everything else is done via BT, with the very rare exception when I load a movie or 2 onto it for a trip in advance through the PC. Allow me to sync it with what ever iTunes like app they are using by that time over Wireless and things are golden.

My only issue is in those rare events when an update goes sideways and the phone gets essentially bricked, I would need to physically connect it to a device to do the restore. What will the restore procedures look like going forward or are they going to bake a failsafe OS into it on a hardware level like they do the macbooks.

Execution is everything. So much of what tech does is relative to the landscape that its in. If everyone has entire desktops that operate as wireless charging mats or if wireless charging could affect entire rooms, most people wouldn't even question lack of ports. Granted we don't yet, but context is critical. If the devs see further than we do about future tech I don't necessarily think it makes any sense to question until we have said device in our hands. As regardless we're talking theoretical and based around the knowledge we have today and not in September of 2021, which is basically two years away.

All that said, this is also a rumor. Granted Ming-Chi Kuo has a track record of accuracy, I don't deny that at all, but even he would acknowledge (and the article does as well) that this is something Apple is experimenting with. A lot can happen in two years, this development fork might not even make it to a physical product. Getting upset about a theoretical product also doesn't make a lot of sense.
When you need to Restore your phone from a computer because something is wrong with your phone ... then this will be a very bad thing (if it even happens at all).

When you need to Restore your phone from a computer because something is wrong with your phone ... then this will be a very bad thing (if it even happens at all).

It is only if there isn't other mitigations in place that aren't mentioned in this article. Apple is a lot of things, but despite what most PC elitists think, they aren't stupid. Unfixable bricked phones are not only bad PR but it would be basically setting them up for a class action law suit. I am certain they'll have ways around specifically this issue if they ever decide to make a portless phone.

I love how basically everyone complaining about this isn't an iPhone or Apple customer to begin with.

I wonder why?

A bluetooth receiver isn't going anywhere near my hand built audio system. I don't care what version it is, it's inferior to a proper line out.

But from a business perspective, this is a great idea.

It is only if there isn't other mitigations in place that aren't mentioned in this article. Apple is a lot of things, but despite what most PC elitists think, they aren't stupid. Unfixable bricked phones are not only bad PR but it would be basically setting them up for a class action law suit. I am certain they'll have ways around specifically this issue if they ever decide to make a portless phone.

Such as 20-40$ yearly icloud subscriptions?

I maintain this is a great business idea - but very anti consumer. Apple makes some world class products, and has fantastic paid support, but often their answer - to the average consumer - is "We're sorry you're having an issue, but if you had paid just a BIT more money you wouldn't be here." That's not the Apple of my youth, and it makes me sad.

And most of apple's design "innovations" have set them up for a class action lawsuit somehow or another. They almost rarely stick, and when they do, it's typically due to a third party's involvement, however central to the issue.

EDIT I love that my macbook pro randomly fucking dies when it goes below 10% battery. I'm so glad there was no iphone esque downclocking or core parking put in-place like the subject of that last class action scandal Apple was involved in.

Last edited:
Still waiting for apple to reportedly ditch Intel and use only arm or something. That rumor has been going on like 5 years now

Why? Wireless charging is less efficient than cable charging. I get it for a watch, but it makes no sense here. Also, if all they're doing is OLED in 2021, then I may just hold out a bit longer on upgrading, though 5G likely comes next year, so I guess in 2020 or 2021 I may want to upgrade for that, but that'll really depend on Sprint (or t-mobile if the network has changed by then) has a decent 5g network by then. Now if they were doing a microled screen, I'd probably jump on that.

Why? Wireless charging is less efficient than cable charging. I get it for a watch, but it makes no sense here. Also, if all they're doing is OLED in 2021, then I may just hold out a bit longer on upgrading, though 5G likely comes next year, so I guess in 2020 or 2021 I may want to upgrade for that, but that'll really depend on Sprint (or t-mobile if the network has changed by then) has a decent 5g network by then. Now if they were doing a microled screen, I'd probably jump on that.

Super fast QI charging is literally my favorite thing ever. And having a wireless power pack is a close second. No fumbling with cables in your pocket, and no ground loop interference when using a nice external USB-c DAC, with literally unlimited battery life.

And I put QI pads (aliexpress) in every cupholder in my car. They're around 3$ each for bare electronics. People really, really like that.

Super fast QI charging is literally my favorite thing ever. And having a wireless power pack is a close second. No fumbling with cables in your pocket, and no ground loop interference when using a nice external USB-c DAC, with literally unlimited battery life.

And I put QI pads (aliexpress) in every cupholder in my car. They're around 3$ each for bare electronics. People really, really like that.

And you can have that while still giving me a cable for charging as well as being able to use my rather expensive IEMs. It was bad enough when they got ride of the 3.5mm jack.

Phones are disposable. The last thing Apple wants is for you to be able to fix an issue outside of the warranty period. And if it's inside the warranty, just bring it to Apple.

It's going to be a wire with a thin, flat magnetic 'attaching point' that sticks to the phone. I bet there will still be wires, but maybe not 'ports' per say.

It's going to be a wire with a thin, flat magnetic 'attaching point' that sticks to the phone. I bet there will still be wires, but maybe not 'ports' per say.
Yup, and it won't come with the phone. "Oh the wireless charging mat? That'll be an extra $249.99, thank you."

Reactions: N4CR
like this
V

Good points but a very inefficient use of power pack though. So if you really were away from power for an extended time this is just wasteful. But I don't see the average Apple user going for a week long camp.

I’ve had an iPhone XR since launch and I’ve never plugged it in to charge it. I even put a piece of tape over the Lightning port so it doesn’t fill up with pocket lint. I have a bunch of cheap charging pads in my car, office, and house. Phone is almost always fully charged and it’s super convenient to just put a phone down on a pad.

Well I'm an Android guy and can see benefits to portless design - no connectors to break or get gummed up with gunk. If they can get the wireless charging speeds up, I say bring it on

Why in the world would they release an SE plus? I thought the whole point of the SE was that it was a smaller phone. It's bad enough that the new SE phone is the 4.7" version instead of the 4.0" one like the old phone.

Well I'm an Android guy and can see benefits to portless design - no connectors to break or get gummed up with gunk. If they can get the wireless charging speeds up, I say bring it on

And battery life. I need it to last longer if I am going to be charging it and not be able use it.

I have both an iphone (personal) and android (samsung, work). The samsung is like a cheap knockoff of the iphone.

But anyways - if it charges at the same speed and has double the life, sure no problem.

In 2025 Apple plans introduce An iPhone Without Any iPhone.

After decades of mind-share management, the ultimate virtual device will be the most profitable iPhone ever.

If a rare disgruntled user complains about spending $1900 on non-existent hardware, Apple will employ proven remediation statements: "You're imagining it wrong."

Also noted in the pre-cog press release, "The iPhone Emperor Edition is completely hand mind-crafted with courage in the USA. And what's good for Apple is good for the country. (just not quite as good)"

Back