Apple watch 3 broken screen

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
My wife was using her watch last night and put it on the charger before bed. I woke up and went to work. Later in the afternoon my wife calls me to tell me her screen is cracked. It's like shattered all around the screen. She said she hadn't even put it on all morning, but when she went to put it on she noticed it all cracked.

I just got home and looked at it. There is no indication that it was dropped and nothing is wrong with the screen protector. It kind of reminds me of a baby monitor we had where the battery swelled up and cracked the back from the pressure.

What sucks is I didn't purchase Applecare+. $289 is the cost to fix this according to Apples site. That's crazy considering that's I spent just over $100 more for the cost of the watch (gps+cellular version).

Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

Take it to an Apple store and see what they say. I’ve heard of some people getting the watch replaced for free if it was due to a swollen battery. Its worth a shot, if they say no then you have your answer.

My wife called Apple and they said to go to Best Buy tomorrow. There they will tell her what will happen. I hope it's the battery.

Welp, looks like I'm out $289. Going to get it fixed, sell it, then buy her an Apple Watch 4 with insurance. No way I'm going to keep this watch and spend another $300 on it when it breaks again. Lesson learned.

$289 to fix it. Was able to sell it for $300 to one of her cousins, so we broke even.

Went and got her a series 4 with insurance.

I wanted to sell the watch broken to get something out of it, but I couldn’t do anything on the display. I didn’t know if any of her information would stay on the watch. This way I could of at least recouped some $$$. I got lucky and at least made what I spent to fix it. I would have been better off just keeping it as a paperweight.

Had a Series 0 with the swollen battery, took it to the Apple store and the replaced the entire watch for me, no Applecare. Why did Apple have you take it to Best Buy?

Had a Series 0 with the swollen battery, took it to the Apple store and the replaced the entire watch for me, no Applecare. Why did Apple have you take it to Best Buy?

A lot of Best Buys are authorized service centers.

I also had an S0 with the swollen battery, but that was a general manufacturing defect and there's a whole policy about replacing the screens even out of warranty.

Your AC+ rep pulled one over on you. When given the decision to go to AASP, Apple Retail, go to Apple Retail Store. They could have easily gotten you to a senior advisor and the issue taken care of.

I just noticed a minor scratch on top right corner of my Apple watch series 3 :(:(

Not just a scratch but that the Aluminium edge has a minor dent too. It didn't affect the functionality, the only option i can think of is getting a tempered glass protection.
Fuckk sapphire display that can scratch from a 2 feet fall

One week after purchasing my watch i bought a tempered glass protection for my Apple watch, the dealer fixed that thing. But next day the glass was completely broken, I don't know how it happened, but it looked like the heat caused by the watch while charging might have broken the tempered glass. After that i dropped the idea of using a tempered glass protection.

I always use a case and tempered glass protection for my smartphones and tablets, but not using one for the watch was a big mistake

Last edited:
I just noticed a minor scratch on top right corner of my Apple watch series 3 :(:(

Not just a scratch but that the Aluminium edge has a minor dent too. It didn't affect the functionality, the only option i can think of is getting a tempered glass protection.
Fuckk sapphire display that can scratch from a 2 feet fall

One week after purchasing my watch i bought a tempered glass protection for my Apple watch, the dealer fixed that thing. But next day the glass was completely broken, I don't know how it happened, but it looked like the heat caused by the watch while charging might have broken the tempered glass. After that i dropped the idea of using a tempered glass protection.

I always use a case and tempered glass protection for my smartphones and tablets, but not using one for the watch was a big mistake

The aluminum case has Ion-X glass, not sapphire crystal. If you need a durable watch, you need to buy the stainless steel version with the sapphire crystal. It would be nice if they had a titanium version as well but I guess they felt the ceramic was more premium, apparently it didn't matter anyway since they dropped it altogether for the Series 4.

Back