Apple Wants to Start Producing Cars as Soon as 2020

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If nothing else, the rumor momentum on Apple’s proposed venture into the Electric Vehicle market is building day by day. Bloomberg is usually pretty much on target when the news service makes a claim and this looks more and more like a slam dunk reality for Apple’s foray into new avenues of business opportunities for the company.

If it's anything like other Apple products I can expect the following.

#1 Black cars first, then white cars.
#2 Car will be made out of mostly aluminum because Apple loves aluminum.
#3 Apple car will only charge with Apple branded charger.
#4 Will be behind compared to other competitors.
#5 Will likely be made by a bigger manufacturer using their technology but Apple claims it their technology.

Without partnering with a company that knows what it is doing, it will fail miserably. Unless it is a extremely low volume, massive margin car. Even then I just don't think the market is there. We will see I guess. I would laugh if they manage to patent something car related that the big 2.5 already have been doing, and then try get Ford/GM/Chrysler to pay them royalties, or to cease and desist.

If nothing else, the rumor momentum on Apple’s proposed venture into the Electric Vehicle market is building day by day. Bloomberg is usually pretty much on target when the news service makes a claim and this looks more and more like a slam dunk reality for Apple’s foray into new avenues of business opportunities for the company.

Bloomberg was also hyping the Apple HDTV rumors.

Did that ever show up, did any of the rumor mongers ever admit it was BS?

Manufacturing rumors (clickbait) is now a business model.

Without partnering with a company that knows what it is doing, it will fail miserably. Unless it is a extremely low volume, massive margin car. Even then I just don't think the market is there. We will see I guess. I would laugh if they manage to patent something car related that the big 2.5 already have been doing, and then try get Ford/GM/Chrysler to pay them royalties, or to cease and desist.

Wouldn't doubt it.

What's funny is that the USPTO has a 50min instruction video on how to file a patent. Within the first 5 minutes, you'll see that a lot of Apples filings don't comply. I'm guessing because they file so much, the reviewers just stamp their patents assuming Apple did their research.

I just don't get why they would want to get into the car making market. Designing a car and building a prototype is easy, compared to the testing, certification, mass fabrication (hint there are a lot more parts in a car than all of Apple's current products combined) and finally support. I have no doubt they can do the sales and marketing part. But the rest is a major pain and the margins are shit compared to what they get selling iPads and such.

I think this is all a misunderstanding and Apple is just investing heavily into car interface systems that they will market to car manufactures. Right now Blackberry makes the best and most used car interface and control system. However there is a lot of room for competition, Microsoft got its feet wet with Ford (and failed largely due to bad internal communication), and may try again. It makes sense that Apple would want a part of a market that entraps people for 30 minutes to 4 hours a day (depending on commute time).

#5 Will likely be made by a bigger manufacturer using their technology but Apple claims it their technology.

#6 After one year there will be a software update and you will need to buy a new car because the one you just updated will now not drive faster than 15MPH and the blinkers no longer function.

#6 It will last just until the warranty runs out, but all problems under the warranty period will be dismissed because you're holding the steering wheel wrong.
#7 You're expected to throw it away after 2 years at the most to buy the latest version, which has all the features expected (but missing) from the current version.

And the big question: Will it bend?

This is just Apple trying to keep their name in the media. Most likely it's just about patent trolling: they are trying to get as many patents as possible on cars so they can sue the people who actually invent the stuff.

Apple's turned into one of the saddest "Me, too!" companies as of late.

Look at the color choices of Mercedes and BMW compared to the "cheap" brands

You were trying to be cheeky, but this is actually where most manufactures are going :rolleyes:

Please give specific details of Apple products that were "behind" at the time the were launched.

Again, you are trying to be cheeky, but I am not sure you understand HOW things are actually manufactured. Do you think that Ford makes all their own engines? Do you think Samsung creates all the chips in their products? It's impractical to do so.

I will go ahead and state that anyone who drives an Applemobile is a douche of the highest order.

If Apple does indeed get into the auto market like Tesla has done and can put put something that looks and runs great, I'll consider purchasing it. I guess that makes me a "douche of the highest order" whatever that means.

If you make and electric car the big auto companies have no choice but to buy your emissions credit. A hidden tax on gas cars that goes to subsidize electric cars.

I can see it now, the tech and everything of a 20,000$ car but cost 60,000$ cause the Apple tax.

I can see it now, the tech and everything of a 20,000$ car but cost 60,000$ cause the Apple tax.

Name a product line that they sale that another major competitor offers a similar product of at least the same build quality, performance, and user experience for 1/3 the price (real price, not knocked down after a year because they couldn't sell at initial price...like the Surface RT).

Name a product line that they sale that another major competitor offers a similar product of at least the same build quality, performance, and user experience for 1/3 the price (real price, not knocked down after a year because they couldn't sell at initial price...like the Surface RT).

Any and every Apple accessory, especially headphones and chargers.

Well hmmm well this might just the way to lose all that money they have in the bank.. or who knows maybe it will be awesome and they will rule the world.

Victim: Your car's control systems crashed! And I was crippled in the wreck that resulted!

Apple: Well, you're not the kind of customer we're looking for!

Look at the color choices of Mercedes and BMW compared to the "cheap" brands

You were trying to be cheeky, but this is actually where most manufactures are going :rolleyes:

Please give specific details of Apple products that were "behind" at the time the were launched.

Again, you are trying to be cheeky, but I am not sure you understand HOW things are actually manufactured. Do you think that Ford makes all their own engines? Do you think Samsung creates all the chips in their products? It's impractical to do so.

Cheeky? I thought he was being sarcastic. As usual. There is always one person who takes the replies way to seriously.

Yes, the "build quality" is so great Apple warranties it for a whole year. [/sarcasm.] That's what Apple thinks of its own build quality...;)

If it comes with a REPLACEABLE battery I'll consider it.

And... an SD slot would be nice also.

Iphone 5&5s, nexus 4 + nexus 5

Done.

Me: So whenever I turn the steering wheel past 90o I lose engine power.
Apple: You're holding it wrong.
Me: Well, I'm just out of warranty now, and I have a battery warning light on the dash.
Apple: Just buy a new one.

Do you think that Ford makes all their own engines?

They do. Right here in Ohio and Michigan. Chevy too, while not all in the USA, still keeps it in North America. They're not made by slave labor in communist China, Foxconn, who has to install nets to catch people trying to jump to their death.

Apple fanboy response in 3...2...1...

They do. Right here in Ohio and Michigan. Chevy too, while not all in the USA, still keeps it in North America. They're not made by slave labor in communist China, Foxconn, who has to install nets to catch people trying to jump to their death.

Apple fanboy response in 3...2...1...

It's just a Google search away.....

Wikipedia

Ford

Introduced in 1995, the Ford Sigma is a small straight-4 automobile engine sold by Ford Motor Company. First evolution of engines were sold as the "Zetec-SE" (although frequently badged as Zetec-S, not to be confused with the trim level). After the upgrade Ford renamed Sigma to Duratec.[1] Last upgrade of engine is named Duratec Ti-VCT. The engine was introduced in the mid-1990s and production continues through the present. Like the SHO V6 and SHO V8, the Sigma was designed with help from Yamaha.

The SHO engines were actually BUILT by Yamaha.

Chrysler

The 2.4 L Tigershark SOHC inline 4-cylinder gasoline engine uses MultiAir 2 variable valve timing and variable valve lift technology and produces 184 hp (137 kW) and 174 lbf·ft (236 N·m) of torque. Only Multi-Air heads feature electro-hydraulic variable valve timing and lift, although only on the intake side. The system is based on FIAT technology and is quite sophisticated and expensive for a low-end engine. Utilizes a bore and stroke of 88 mm (3.5 in) by 97 mm (3.8 in) and a 10.0:1 compression ratio.

This is an engine used in several current Chrysler cars.

One of Chevy's greatest engines ever made was built using 2 heads of the Lotus 4 Cylinder engines. 400HP all-motor in 1990 was shattering.

For model year 1990, Chevrolet released the Corvette ZR-1 with the radical overhead cam LT5 engine, which shared only the 4.4 inch bore spacing with any previous LT engine. The LT5 was engineered by Lotus Engineering in the UK headed by design manager David Whitehead, the engine was produced by Mercury Marine at Stillwater OK headed by Project Engineer Terry D. Stinson

The Mac Pro is made in Austin Texas. Not designed, but BUILT. Is there another computer manufacture (that's not a boutique) that assembles in the United States?

Would you believe me if I said that I live in North America, I made excellent wages, I do not work for Apple, and that I am involved with the production of several Apple chip designs?

They are a fabless company, so "design" and integration is what they do. Many, many, many technology companies do this. I'm not a fanboi, I'm just someone who looks at the facts.

I was trying to think of how I felt about this. Finally I realized it's going to be an ev anyhow so it didn't really matter. If Apple wants to lose their ass making another useless ev, more power to them.

The SHO engines were actually BUILT by Yamaha.

Nope. Not at all. The heads were designed by Yamaha. Your bolded quote even says "DESIGNED with help". A SHO Ford engine has FoMoCo stampings from the oilpan to the heads. MADE by Ford.

I never even mentioned Chrysler. Considering they were OWNED formerly a German company and now a French company. Yeah, their parts aren't all going to by made in the USA.

Oooooo, an look Crapple make ONE thing in the USA. WOW. Give them a gold star.

All other Apple products MADE by Communist slave labor that must commit suicide because they can't quit.

I'm done with this flame war. You are an Apple Fanboy that doesn't know crap other than what you can find on Wikipedia.

BP

Oooooo, an look Crapple make ONE thing in the USA. WOW. Give them a gold star.

All other Apple products MADE by Communist slave labor that must commit suicide because they can't quit.

I'm done with this flame war. You are an Apple Fanboy that doesn't know crap other than what you can find on Wikipedia.

BP

But how is that different than everyone else? Are you saying that other large manufacturers assemble in America? The MotoX didn't work out well. I applaud them for trying though.

And back to your argument, I make the chips that Apple designs. But you will never ever see the name of my company on those chips. That's the whole point of the contract.

But it sounds like your bigger beef is with China, and that I can't really argue with.

Apple will need experience with unibody structures and suspension, not just drive train or the product design features the thread is arguing with.

It doesn't really matter who designs or built components, long as they are soundly designed and manufactured.

I love Communist slave labor - it gives me cheap computer components and quality Apple phones. Will definitely buy an Apple car, maybe two.

WOfj3qF.jpg

Back