Apple Wants $9 Billion from Google to Keep Its Search as the Default on iOS

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Sep 29, 2018.

1. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

Unless they get paid like from Google, plenty sharing after that.

2. diehardman

diehardman n00b

Keep supporting companies like Nvidia and Microsoft doe

3. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Doe? Umm.. ok.

I understand the point you are trying to make despite the horrendous English. Show me another GPU manufacturer that has offerings that match NVIDIA's and I'll switch immediately. AMD isn't even close to NVIDIA's performance levels right now. Microsoft, is sort of a necessary evil for me. Both as a gamer and an IT professional. However, I can choose not to use Apple products. I have a lot more options for phones and services that compete against iTunes.

4. shansoft

shansoft [H]ardness Supreme

Which they don't.... :eek:

5. diehardman

diehardman n00b

So you would admit that hating a company is silly, and are willing to overlook that hate depending on the competition their products have? That or things like business practices don't actually matter to you, and your hatred is .. blind.

By the way, "doe" is slang for "though".

6. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

If you are using Google, data is being recorded, if you are logged in even more so. Doesn’t have to be Apple, just Apple allowing or anyone using Google.

7. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

That would be between 7M and 9M phones. Get the carriers to provide the free phones and free switching of phone numbers from one device to the other. Google can use the returned to create a huge Apple logo in a field and, with a large amount of explosives, literally blow away the competition.

Google writes the program off as advertising cost, gains new customers, reduces Apple's customer base and doesn't give Apple the extortion money it expected. #WINNING

8. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Google should tell Apple to go pound sand. Most of their Apple users would manually change it to Google search even if Apple tried to default to another search engine.

They already established their utility. They don’t need to be default to still be top choice and 9 Billion? No thanks.

9. nimer

nimer n00b

Perfect example of how we as individuals value metadata or lack thereof

10. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Duckduckgo

11. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

Instead Google should just block all of their services (including Maps) from IOS devices. See how far Apple can get with a crippled device...

12. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

FaceID, while technically impressive, is still vulnerable to spoofing. Apple STILL doesn't have working wireless charging (and doesn't look to have it any time soon from recent reports!), and EVERY OTHER FEATURE mentioned with the release of the iPhone X was already available in Samsung phones FOR SEVERAL YEARS PRIOR! (I have no clue about the most recent iPhones, I haven't kept up, but I believe they are just larger with newer processors).

IOS is a dumpster fire at the moment as well. There is ZERO cohesive design. Also, the app store is as problematic as it ever was.

But hey, if you feel like overpaying for obsolete tech, go right ahead. It's a free country (at the moment).

13. NIZMOZ

NIZMOZ [H]ard|Gawd

You can't spoof faceid on the iPhone. It is not like Samsungs where you can spoof it. Umm, Apple has had Wireless charging since the iPhone 8. And it works better than Samsungs for being reliable when you sit it on the charger unlike Samsungs you have to find the right position or it won't charge. I am not going to go into it since you haven't done your research, but there are a ton of features that Samsung phones do not have on iPhones. And also a few the other way. It is pretty obvious you are a hater on apple especially with the app store comment when Apple is known to have the best Apps and App Store of any mobile device.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  14. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

Oh god.

No matter if Apple is a shit company. Google is a shit company too.

I love to see them trading blows, so they feel it nice and hard. I know if I delivered my strongest blow ever on them, they wouldn't even scratch.

15. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

DuckDuckgo.

It is my default search engine now, and I don't even notice the difference.

EDIT: other than the missing "weighted" results google floats to the top of the list....

16. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

I do.

There's nowhere near the amount of sponsored bullshit clouding what I really want to find.

Uvaman2 and motomonkey like this.
  17. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

Blah blah blah. Enjoy your fancy overpriced crap.

18. NIZMOZ

NIZMOZ [H]ard|Gawd

Oh I'm sorry. You say overpriced, but the Note 9 costs $1249 for the 512gb version too. Get use to it as flagships are moving into that price range. I guess because you can't afford it, you call it names.

I will enjoy it, and my S9+ and my Note 9.

19. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

I am sure I could make one hell of a search engine with $9 billion dollars.

20. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

$9 billion just for the text string "https://www.google.com" - that's now the new record holder for "The Most Expensive 22 Letters in History."

Previous record holder?

"I want a divorce, now!" ;)

21. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

In the minority here, but I like Bing and use it as my default. Getting free amazon gift cards for using it makes it all that much easier.

22. Timobkg

Timobkg [H]Lite

What would Apple do if Google doesn't pay?

Turn to Microsoft for Bing? Switch to Yahoo? Do what they did years ago with Google Maps - block Google and make their own shitty alternative that pisses off their users?