Apple Tv - Stream iPad To Projector

rosco

Gawd
I would like to figure out a way to stream the display of the ipad to a projector via wireless. It looks like Apple TV could do the trick but I wanted to verify that was possible before I purchased one.

I want to stream the ipad display, so whether it's a web page that is on it, or another app I want to be able to have it show on the projector screen.

Is Apple TV what I need to do this?

which version iPad? I don't think the first generation will do screen mirroring. Both iPad and Apple TV will need to be on an existing wireless network as well (they don't connect directly)

I agree with Ampsonic. I use an Apple TV to do it. If you don't have a wireless network, you may have another option.

I use mine for training classes. I run the PowerPoint off the iPad using my cell phone as a wireless router. This, of course, if you have that capability on your phone. I pay to have my smartphone to work as a wifi hotspot so it works well. As long as I'm not streaming from the internet, I don't use my available bandwidth.

I hope this helps.

It's the iPad 2. There is an existing wireless network for them to use.

So, it seems like that's what I need then.

yup, should work perfect for your needs.

just a heads up, in case you weren't aware, the ATV2 only does 720P... so you'll probably want an ATV3 (1080P) unless the projector is a low resolution unit.

How smooth is the mirroring?
I would imagine for basic web browsing/power point it is fine, but what about streaming games or high resolution video?

How smooth is the mirroring?
I would imagine for basic web browsing/power point it is fine, but what about streaming games or high resolution video?

Significant lag, like a half second. Not for gaming really.

What kind of resolution does the projector have?

Does the projector have HDMI? Alternatives are DVI or VGA with an adaptor

What aspect ratio is the projector?

The reason I ask is that I've been trying to get the projectors in our lecture halls fitted with ATV's, however, our system uses 4:3 aspect ratio w/o HDMI. There are ways around these issues - but its a long / draw out explanation.

What kind of aspect ratio do I need for it to work properly with the Apple TV? Will that projector I linked to be OK?

What kind of aspect ratio do I need for it to work properly with the Apple TV? Will that projector I linked to be OK?

it shouldnt matter. When displayed on a 16:9 display, it will just use black bars and keep the native 4:3 aspect ratio.

Unless of cource the app uses something other than native. Playing most games designed to use airplay, for example, with display them in 16:9 (real racing 2, sky gamblers, etc)

You can do it for a lot cheaper with a program called AirServer.

Just install it on your PC or Mac and you can AirPlay Mirror your iPad 2 to your computer screen and then just connect your PC to the projector.

http://www.airserverapp.com/

PC version doesn't have audio yet, but it will soon. I use it to play games like real racing from my ipad to projector and lag isn't a problem, at least not on my network.

Do you get any drop outs with that app? I've tried it on my Mac and its not always smooth.

I have only used the PC version without audio and it works just as good as when i used my parents ATV 2.

I have 802.11n with a really strong signal so maybe that helps. It's always really smooth with only a tiny delay that doesn't seem to affect my steering in Real Racing HD 2 at all.

Back