Apple TV 4K vs Amazon 4K Fire Stick and Netflix

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs & Equipment' started by Liver, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Liver

Liver [H]ardness Supreme

This is by no means a scientific study, just an observation and I have questions.

I live in the country and I have very limited bandwidth. Briefly, I have 2 DSL lines (load balanced, not bonded) and each line is about 5/1.

Quite consistently, when I use the Apple TV 4K to watch Netflix, it stutters and the picture degrades significantly. I assume because of my slow internet.

The Amazon 4K Firestick almost always has a perfect picture quality (like 100%), once it starts playing.

From my limited experience it seems like the Firestick handles slow speeds better.

Anyone know the real answer? Have anything to back up my limited experience?

Or call me crazy.

2. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

Better upscaler on the Amazon box?

The bandwidth should be identical.

3. Liver

Liver [H]ardness Supreme

Yes. Bandwidth is the same. All I know is the image is way better and no stuttering. I’m wondering if the way it manages the bandwidth is better.

I dont know.

4. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Are you sure the FS is playing even 1080? There is a hidden stats menu tou can turn on with a key combo from the remote. That will tell you res/bandwidth is being used.

Domingow likes this.
  5. Domingow

Domingow 2[H]4U

Is the ATV wired? I'm assuming the FireTV is wifi, so if both are wifi perhaps move the ATV for better reception.

6. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

ATV has gig ethernet.

7. Domingow

Domingow 2[H]4U

And...? Perhaps it's a bad cable, perhaps the wired network is misconfigured; one could do a speed test on the ATV to verify connection speed...Just throwing out troubleshooting tactics.

8. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

OMG lol, it just dropped me to the bottom of the thread, and i thought you were asking if the ATV had that capability at all... i realize now you are asking about his setup lol.

9. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Maybe not, it could be trying to tack on HD audio and failing, if firetv doesn't support the same type.