Apple Took Out a CES Ad to Troll Its Competitors over Privacy

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
“If you value your privacy, buy an iProduct”: that’s the message Apple is trying to send with their giant ad in Las Vegas, which was bought to woo this week’s army of CES visitors from Android and other competing products. Unlike Google, Apple insists they make money solely from selling hardware and software, not from users’ personal information. The company has also refused to unlock their devices for law enforcement. “In a world where privacy is on everyone's mind, Apple is saying to the technology industry that it stands alone. ‘Do whatever you want in the city of sin,’ the billboard barks, ‘we'll never know.’”

The ad's placement takes on extra irony when you notice that Google's CES presence is even bigger than it was last year -- the company once again wrapped the Las Vegas monorail with "Hey Google" ads and once again it is building a huge playhouse in the convention center parking lot. For the second year in a row, Google will be unavoidable at CES even though it probably isn't launching any new products of its own. But this year, Apple will literally be reminding everyone of 2018's privacy scandals, asking CES visitors how comfortable they are saying "hey Google" to a growing raft of products.

Lol say that to all those actress's effected by the fappening I'm sure their privacy was quite violated and geez what about Spector and meltdown, the more they piss the hackers off and brag is the moment they will get their pants pulled down.

No company on the planet can keep information private if you have shit security policies. The biggest flaw in any security option are the people that make use of it.

Honestly, i love the people that won't hold it against Apple for allowing hackers to essentially impersonate them, grant it, people can be security morons, however, they did get their mainframe hacked after cook babbled how great security is at and with Apple.

Honestly, i love the people that won't hold it against Apple for allowing hackers to essentially impersonate them, grant it, people can be security morons, however, they did get their mainframe hacked after cook babbled how great security is at and with Apple.

How is it Apple's fault when users have shit security practices and practically allow "hackers" an open door into their shit? That's like blaming a lock company for someone stealing things from a home where the owners left the windows wide open.

"If you value your privacy enough for only Apple to see it, buy an iProduct".

Fixed

My understanding is that the encryption is done internally in the phone and Apple can't access it (Unless of course you upload to iCloud or the like, but that's kinda a different story)

Shhh, Don't confuse people with the truth.

Don't confuse Scarlett Johansson with regular people, she transcended to elite level long ago, and you and i are just plebs.
O and the people that do carry a phone from that brand, they might think they are elite too, but a vail have been put over their eyes for a long time.

My understanding is that the encryption is done internally in the phone and Apple can't access it (Unless of course you upload to iCloud or the like, but that's kinda a different story)

I refuse to believe that a company cannot access their own product.

You don't think a company like Apple would leave an unknown loophole for this purpose? C'mon!

Why would they have one? Having any kind of loop hole or back door means governments can force you to reveal it and use it on command. Beyond that, backdoors are HUGE security risks. There is no such thing as a "secret" loophole. Hackers (both private and government sponsored) will look for any way to break encryption. Intentionally including a backdoor is one of the dumbest things you can do when developing encryption.

Only a fool would believe Google or Apple value your privacy. They "value" it alright, but noting like their PR campaigns would lead you to believe. The hard truth is, online privacy simply does not exist anymore. Apple, Google, and Microsoft make obscene fortunes off your data and gain advantages too numerous to list in having access to virtually everything you input / do on their platforms. Further compounded by federal alphabet agencies partnerships and backdoors into their platforms.

The notion of online privacy (going back many years) is as gullible as believing the Earth is flat.

Why would they have one? Having any kind of loop hole or back door means governments can force you to reveal it and use it on command. Beyond that, backdoors are HUGE security risks. There is no such thing as a "secret" loophole. Hackers (both private and government sponsored) will look for any way to break encryption. Intentionally including a backdoor is one of the dumbest things you can do when developing encryption.

Why wouldn't they have one? And yes, it is universally known that having a backdoor is dumb, all the more reason to have one. This is supervillan stuff we're talking here! ....Is this line secure?!

Only a fool would believe Google or Apple value your privacy. They "value" it alright, but noting like their PR campaigns would lead you to believe. The hard truth is, online privacy simply does not exist anymore. Apple, Google, and Microsoft make obscene fortunes off your data and gain advantages too numerous to list in having access to virtually everything you input / do on their platforms. Further compounded by federal alphabet agencies partnerships and backdoors into their platforms.

The notion of online privacy (going back many years) is as gullible as believing the Earth is flat.

Yeah, its a dumb concept. Basically Norton & Mcafee drilled it into peoples heads back in the 90's. People still buy into it, it boggles my mind.

Unlike Google, Apple insists they make money solely from selling hardware and software, not from users’ personal information.
Unfortunately both these assholes won't let you modify your hardware or software. I can't install Android on Apple devices and Android won't let me install Android on itself. Not a joke, I'm tweaking my moms old Android 4.2.2 tablet to not be shit. Both these idiots hope to replace laptops with tablets but neither have open hardware, and yet a PC is still more secure than an Apple or Android device. I can still encrypt my drive with open source encryption software that is so good that the courts have to threaten me to give out my password. Where as Apple and Google will bend over the moment the government says jump.

Why wouldn't they have one? And yes, it is universally known that having a backdoor is dumb, all the more reason to have one. This is supervillan stuff we're talking here! ....Is this line secure?!

Do you honestly believe that if a backdoor existed it would have remained unfound this long? Apple has basically been taunting the hacking community for a while with their security. Now they have a big ass ad up in Vegas continuing to taunt hackers (and their competitors). There is no chance in hell that hacking groups, criminal enterprises, and worldwide governments don't have tons of hackers trying to break through it. If Apple left a way in, it would have been found by now.

Unfortunately both these assholes won't let you modify your hardware or software. I can't install Android on Apple devices and Android won't let me install Android on itself. Not a joke, I'm tweaking my moms old Android 4.2.2 tablet to not be shit. Both these idiots hope to replace laptops with tablets but neither have open hardware, and yet a PC is still more secure than an Apple or Android device. I can still encrypt my drive with open source encryption software that is so good that the courts have to threaten me to give out my password. Where as Apple and Google will bend over the moment the government says jump.

When it comes to unlocking iPhones, Apple has effectively told the FBI to go pound sand in the past. Even when faced with a court order. When it comes to iCloud and, potentially, Siri data I'm sure they'd hand it over. Stuff on the phone itself, however, they're not going to do anything.

When it comes to unlocking iPhones, Apple has effectively told the FBI to go pound sand in the past. Even when faced with a court order. When it comes to iCloud and, potentially, Siri data I'm sure they'd hand it over. Stuff on the phone itself, however, they're not going to do anything.
Didn't someone break into the iPhone from some murder case a while ago? I don't remember.

There's an Israeli security co that does it. I think that's who the FBI went to early on.

Didn't someone break into the iPhone from some murder case a while ago? I don't remember.

Mhm. I don't remember the exact phone (I want to say 5 or 5x, maybe 6) but that was the same case where Apple basically told the FBI that they had no way of accessing the phone. So the FBI turned elsewhere. Can't even remember exactly how it was bypassed or what Apple did, security wise, after the bypass was discovered.

Sure, it wouldn't be accessible by anyone other than Apple.

There is no such thing as a backdoor that only one person or group can access. If someone designs a backdoor with the intention that only they can access it, it won't remain that way for long. ALL backdoors are huge security vulnerabilities. Hackers WILL find them and they WILL be exploited. Period.

If someone designs a backdoor with the intention that only they can access it, it won't remain that way for long. ALL backdoors are huge security vulnerabilities. Hackers WILL find them and they WILL be exploited. Period.

By saying "if" You're open to the possibility that their might be. I would bet money that Apple has a fail safe.

Regardless of the delusional nature of Apple's claims, they really fall apart when 3rd party apps collect data and send it around to anyone with a few shillings.

Mhm. I don't remember the exact phone (I want to say 5 or 5x, maybe 6) but that was the same case where Apple basically told the FBI that they had no way of accessing the phone. So the FBI turned elsewhere. Can't even remember exactly how it was bypassed or what Apple did, security wise, after the bypass was discovered.

IIRC, the company used some boot hack to download the flash contents. This had already been patched in a later iOS revision that the phone wasn't using. So far every time a backdoor has been discovered, apple has patched it in the next release. That was one of the reasons for the fairly recent change to USB trust on devices as a hack was found to use USB authentication to get at things inside the phone so they added a USB authentication lockout.

Queue all the Apple haters
Probably.
I would say i only like Android about 1% more, this are also a major part of why i have already gone without a phone for about a decade, and i only carry one at the moment for family reasons.
In general i find it very easy to be without a phone, the people that matter to me i see often, and if they have some chit chat they can forward that on mail.

I don't know why but my brain always want to bracket Apple with BMW, and BMW make damn nice cars for sure, but i would never ever buy one of them, not even if i had more USD than Trump could build a wall for.

Internet on the other hand, on PC i find it hard to be without, after two days without i even start contemplating going on the internet on my damn phone or tablet, but then i man up and bite the bullet.

Don't believe for a second that Apple is any less likely to sell private info to third parties however it is a smart marketing move that'll be hard to top. This may even motivate the Isheep to pay attention to privacy in the future.

Not quite dude. Have any valid proof that Microsoft has my bank account information or login information? I do not have any Apple devices but, I did login using the bank app on google phone, any proof they have that information?

Not quite dude. Have any valid proof that Microsoft has my bank account information or login information? I do not have any Apple devices but, I did login using the bank app on google phone, any proof they have that information?
Actually, Google offers the proof themselves via Google Takeout. Not that they have your account information, but that you accessed your account, at bank X, at 3:45AM from a cell tower in the red light district.

But hey, they don't have the actual account info, so none of the above is useful ;)

Back