Apple To Start Charging For iTunes Radio

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s suggested that the company is luring its customers into paying for its streaming service, Apple Music.

"All radio stations except for Beats 1 will be available exclusively to Apple Music members," the message reads. So listening to Zane Lowe and Apple's other hired DJs will still cost nothing. But if you want to hear radio stations based on an artist or genre of music you like, doing so will require a $10 / month subscription to Apple Music.

I use it alot, but wont pay for it. Not ontop of Spotify anyway

Well, I will say that I have purchased some songs through iTunes because I heard them on iTunes Radio. I don't listen to normal radio, so a new bands like Imagine Dragons or The 1975 just will never appear on my radar screen otherwise

So I think it is a lost opportunity for them. But for the $10 I spend, I don't know what their broadcast and bandwidth costs are. I do not know the behind the scenes cost (whether good or bad).

I don't see a big deal here. iHeart Radio beats all the other free services hands down anyway.

Frankly, $10/month is a bargain for iTunes Music Service. The selection is the best there is. If I was going to pay for a service, I'm not proud. It would be Apple's.

I don't see a big deal here. iHeart Radio beats all the other free services hands down anyway.

Frankly, $10/month is a bargain for iTunes Music Service. The selection is the best there is. If I was going to pay for a service, I'm not proud. It would be Apple's.

I'll unfortunately have to +1 this.

Need more competition that's actually good, or at least comparable.

It is fantastic if you are in the iTunes ecosystem. The integration is top notch. However if you are of the belief that iTunes is from the devil, like many on this forum, then Spotify would probably be better. Selection is about the same between them, and being able to browse the user generated playlists on Playlists.net can be helpful in discovering new music.

To me, iTunes Radio, is nothing more then a generated playlist. So it seems like a natural extension of the "Music" service.

It is fantastic if you are in the iTunes ecosystem. The integration is top notch. However if you are of the belief that iTunes is from the devil, like many on this forum, then Spotify would probably be better. Selection is about the same between them, and being able to browse the user generated playlists on Playlists.net can be helpful in discovering new music.

To me, iTunes Radio, is nothing more then a generated playlist. So it seems like a natural extension of the "Music" service.

I was under the impression that Apple has people making their playlists?

Back