Apple to Ship Tablet Device in March

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Wall Street Journal and “people briefed by the company,” Apple will launch a 10 – 11 inch tablet PC in March for around $1,000. While this rumor may turn out to be true, the $1k price tag seems awful low for anything Apple sells.

The tablet is expected to be a multimedia device that will let people watch movies and television shows, play games, surf the Internet and read electronic books and newspapers. People briefed by Apple also say that the company believes it could redefine the way consumers interact with a variety of content.

At a grand, I fully expect this to be a nice product with limited capability. Itunes will run on it like crap of course, but I see this being an Apple MID at best. And an expensive one at that. Cool form factor of course, is guranteed.

According to the Wall Street Journal and “people briefed by the company,” Apple will launch a 10 – 11 inch tablet PC in March for around $1,000. While this rumor may turn out to be true, the $1k price tag seems awful low for anything Apple sells.

$1000 bucks! Ha, ha! Sure It'll be nice and light and low power and all but you can get something like a HP tx2 for like $800, full featured laptop, with touch AND pen. And as much as Apple is cool and all, these devices are just tough sells.

At $1000 stick a fork in it cause it'll need to cost half as much before people will think much about it.

Now Microsoft, your turn!

$1000 for a tablet? I certainly hope it has some beefy specifications for that price tag...otherwise, it might be a cool, innovative idea that is destroyed by the realities of retail.

Am I the only one who seems to this $1000 seems too cheap for a decent tablet?

Don't worry about the 1k price tag. Many retailers will jack it to 1200 because its the latest Aplle idea..

Depends on what you mean as decent. A fast pure slate with pen and touch running a desktop OS, sure. But I really doubt that what this is. Proabaly more of a giant iPod Touch. I which case its WAY too exspensive.

It's only a tablet, it SHOULD be cheap. With that said, I'd never pay more than $400 for a tablet.

No you are not. I paid about $1200 for my Gateway Tablet about a year ago. I am wondering if this is a convertable PC/Tablet, or just a slate with no KB. No way I'm going to put money into something without a KB. I use my pen for certain tasks, but for anything besides notes that requires a lot of text input, I use the KB. Having said that, I could not imagine buying a regular notebook ever again.

There is no way Apple is going to sell a convertable tablet MacBook for less than $1500 unless they totally cheap out on the pen input, which is highly unlikely. The cheapest MacBook on Apple's site is $999.

Heh, I said convertable PC/Tablet. I should have said convertable MacBook/Tablet. Oh well.

I think you all got it wrong. It'll be the first Apple made tablet. It won't convert. Instead, the sheer number of bugs will convert you from excited to full of regret with $1000 down the drain.

Earlier rumors reported that after years of working on the tablet with his usual obsessive perfectionism, Steve Jobs is finally happy with the product. Say what you will about him, but if it makes him happy, it should be a very interesting product.

There is noooo way it will be 1000 if it has decent specs, given Apples recent history of pricing. I would look for it to be aroudn 1200 if it is fully feature, 900 if it is "crunch-pad" like. I enjoy all the ill-fated criticism posters are making before the thing actually comes out. Itunes to run horribly, on ...their...own ...products. Yep, you heard it first from that looney bin near the top :D

I'm thinking overgrown ipod touch based on pineview.

$1000 seems a bit much for a 10" tablet.

Apple products aren't that expensive anymore, I mean a Macbook is now $1000 flat, and the Pro is only $200 more.

It will cost $1500 originally, then a price drop 3 months later to $1200, pissing off early adopters but not the rabid Apple fans who are blind.

Apple products aren't that expensive anymore, I mean a Macbook is now $1000 flat, and the Pro is only $200 more.

They still kind of are in a way. Sure $1000 MacBook is a nice piece of hardware but you can get a decent Windows laptop for half of that. Sure not nearly as nice as the MacBook but two computers vs one is nice also.

So in an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended) a MacBook is about the same as something like an Adamo but Apple has NOTHING really in the budget market.

Yeah, a Macbook is now $1000 flat, but laptops from other companies now start below $500. Comparatively they always have been and always will be much more expensive than other brands.

Sure, it's a tablet that'll do fancy things, but at that price range. I'd just get a macbook.

good read

I have a few issues with it.

“I’d use it on the couch and lying in bed” is not a good answer. You can already use your iPhone or MacBook on the couch and in bed. It strikes me as foolish to market a multi-hundred-dollar device that people are expected to leave on their coffee table.

Its stuff life this that make me wonder if technology journalists and writers actually bother to use technology. Try using a laptop or an iPhone with one hand while lying on your side. Thought so. I copied and pasted the quote and wrote this post with one hand using my tx2. (Please no wise cracks!):D

The people that write about tablets don't seem to actually USE them.

Depending on the price and features, this may be good.
I may look into one.

The great thing about personal computers, is their able to fit the needs of the person using them. Convertibles were just a slight miss with me, the basic concept is the same but the form factor/price was slightly off. It was a good way to work on the basic tech behind a true tablet / Slate. I don't think convertibles will disappear, as they should have an advantage in price/performance.

As for keyboards with the new tablets. I would expect wireless and wired options akin to the old pda market. So like the Smartphone/PDA market we will hopefully see many different form factors.

I good news about the Apple Tablet is since they design the OS, hardware and backend they can make a user friendly design for the people who want such designs. Hopefully increasing the market penetration of tablets.

That's just the price of the stylus. It's titanium with a bleached osmium tip, and says something about you as an individual!

No news to me when Apple bought the company that invented multitouch in I think 1999 it wasn't even a question. The Iphone was just a testbed that turned out better than expected.

Sweet can't wait to pay $1000 bucks for next innovated thing from apple...:rolleyes:

Either way I am still interested on how this will do. The market already has very good Tablet machines out there. What could apple offer thats any differnt than what is already out there?

Going to interesting to say the least.:p

Half of the fuss with notebooks is their build quality. I have owned over 10 laptops and my most recent one is one of the old 15" MBP's. Had it for over 3 years and I have no desire to upgrade to anything other than the unibody MBP because the build quality completely destroys most other laptop companies. Yes, ASUS is one of the few manufacturers that I was considering as an alternative, but now all their laptops seem like junk to me on first glance.

I will never buy a dell because they are just as expensive as a Mac and the build quality is for crap. Say what you will about Apple, but as long as you don't expect your Apple product to do your computer work, cook your dinner AND pleasure you sexually you should be a happy Mac customer?

Its just a big ipod touch with slightly faster cpu and bigger screen then 5 times the price is about right for apple.
it will of course be locked in to the app store, and once people get used to that, so will macbooks and imacs.

No news to me when Apple bought the company that invented multitouch in I think 1999 it wasn't even a question. The Iphone was just a testbed that turned out better than expected.

Only 6 years off. It was 2005. Also, the company didn't invent multitouch. There was no company that invented multitouch. Just a guy, going to school, at the University of Toronto.

2007 was when they finally unveiled the iPhone using multitouch. Not the first product on the market using multitouch, nor will it be the last.

I'd much prefer to see something like the Surface to be more commonly available in stores, but I'm not a fan of handheld touch devices. I like having real buttons on a phone or mp3 player.

Back