Apple to Ramp Up Work on Augmented Reality Headset

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Apple Inc., seeking a breakthrough product to succeed the iPhone, aims to have technology ready for an augmented-reality (WARNING auto play video) headset in 2019 and could ship a product as early as 2020. With Samsung and other pushing AR it's really only a matter of time before we get these kinds of headsets out in the wild. The only question I have is it really something good or just another gimmick?

As with previous products, Apple isn’t waiting around for someone else to create a chip capable of powering its AR headset. It’s designing one in-house that’s similar in concept to the “system-on-a-package” component in the Apple Watch. Such chips can squeeze more components -- graphics processors, AI chip, CPU -- into a smaller area than standard processors; they also consume less power.

I see this more like competition and copying the Microsoft Hololens than the google glasses project which was terrible.

Apple will make this a fashion accessory - like the Watch. Base model will probably be $599. Support for lenses, frames, etc. I think these will look closer to a regular pair of glasses than something like the HoloLens. Of course, I'm totally speculating and have no clue what that will eventually do.
Tim Cook has stated recently that the screens we have now aren't good enough. Just because they have ARKit doesn't mean much. Look at HomeKit - last I checked, not a lot of support for it yet. Amazon & Google totally shot past them in the home automation market. Will keep an "eye" on this one for sure.

I think the base model will be well above $599. Now that they can get users to spend $1k on a phone, i think $799 for basic AR would work

Back