Apple To Offer 32GB Of Desktop RAM In Top-End 2017 MacBook Pro

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Rumors are swirling that Apple may actually cater to the needs of professionals and give their upcoming MacBook Pro units a much-requested memory upgrade. Now they just need to get rid of the OLED touch bar and bring back the function keys (which probably won't happen, as that would be clearly admitting mistake).

In order to achieve high memory allotments and keep unplugged battery life performance on par with existing MacBook Pro models, Apple will need to move to an emerging memory technology like LPDDR4 or DDR4L. Such hardware is on track for release later this year. Beyond the high-end 15-inch model, Kuo expects Apple to start production of new 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros in the third quarter of 2017. As for the 12-inch MacBook, Kuo believes next-generation versions of the thin-and-light will enter mass production in the second quarter with the same basic design aesthetic introduced in 2015. New for 2017 is a 16GB memory option that will make an appearance thanks to Intel's new processor class.

And they'll only charge you $1100+ for the RAM upgrade which to them is a bargain, obviously. :D

I remember distinctly years ago purchasing a 1st gen MacBook, the black model with the $215 price premium over the white model because a) it had a 160GB hard drive instead of a 120GB drive and b) it was black. That's it, that's the difference between the two models: $215 for 40GB more storage space and it was black in color/material.

Anyway, the stock 2GB (2x1GB) of RAM in it wasn't going to be enough and I knew that and so I asked about the upgrade to 4GB and they wanted $550 more for it - I said "No, thanks, I'll pass..." and bought the laptop, went from the Apple Store to Fry's, bought 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR2 RAM for the laptop for $189 and then sold the factory 2GB an hour later on craigslist for $125.

Apple, you greedy bastards, every last one of you. :p

I remember distinctly years ago purchasing a 1st gen MacBook, the black model with the $215 price premium over the white model because a) it had a 160GB hard drive instead of a 120GB drive and b) it was black. That's it, that's the difference between the two models: $215 for 40GB more storage space and it was black in color/material.

But you bought it. In the land of capitalism, that's all that matters.

probably even enjoyed it too.

This is the upgrade I'm waiting for. Until then my 2013 model works just fine.

Behind maybe. But you can thank Apple then next time you see an pci-e based nvme SSD in your next laptop.

The touchbar isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just the placement kinda sucks. I'm surprised there isn't a color-screen touch interface peripheral by someone. Or Apple hasn't taken a shot at making their normal keyboards "magically delicious."

I've created a few profiles for Unified Remote which allows me to use an old Android phone to control programs in my PC. So I can literally have a toolbar touch interface for Photoshop/Illustrator/Fusion360/Gaming without trying to break my fingers one-handing some of the shortcut combos. Allows you to work with one-hand on mouse at all times and one-hand over mini-screen.

To those who kept trashing it.

When the new MBP released, Kaby Lake haven't released any of their Quad Core line up, and they are the only one that supports 16GB+ natively without using custom controller that drains battery.

I know many people with the new touch bar Mac books and they all seem to love the new touch bar.

Yo each their own.

I know many people with the new touch bar Mac books and they all seem to love the new touch bar.

Yo each their own.

Its like touchscreens on laptops. I fucking hate them, but lots of people seem to want it.

Back