Apple to get rid of butterfly switches.

Of course it has a place in the world. As overpriced designer jewelry.
Jewelry isn’t useful as a tool.
Spoken like a true Windows / PC user...

Seriously guys can we just cut the crap, the Apple hate is wearing thin.

Yes they are expensive but they have their place and I am yet to meet a Mac user who is a poser or whatever your call them. They are simply users who want a computer that works and doesn’t need IT. When i am using my mac, the absolute last thing I think about is hey I look great! More likely I am thinking, hey my computer didn’t freeze coming out of sleep or hey I don’t need to reboot for fkn updates or share my data with the MS mothership.

Yes Macs are expensive but you are not just paying for hardware, you are paying for the complete package / ecosystem.
The funny part is I priced out XPS13s and Surface books/pros and they’re all the same price as MacBooks of different flavors.

People just be hella mad.

Jewelry isn’t useful as a tool
A gold hammer is still a hammer, just much less durable and costs a lot more for no good reason.

Apple has an easy recipe. They made people believe they have better quality HW. When in reality their HW is one of the worst with many points of failure. The butterfly switch is just one of many components that they had failing in droves.

And I'd never buy a product from a company that tells (lies) to it's customers and says data recovery is impossible from an iphone if it can't be turned on. And goes on to ban those from their support forums who actually do it as a service.

Just because a hammer is gold doesn’t make it jewelry, it is in fact still a hammer.

Or is it your opinion that anything gold/silver/gemstone is automatically jewelry?

Spoken like a true Windows / PC user...

Seriously guys can we just cut the crap, the Apple hate is wearing thin.

Yes they are expensive but they have their place and I am yet to meet a Mac user who is a poser or whatever your call them. They are simply users who want a computer that works and doesn’t need IT. When i am using my mac, the absolute last thing I think about is hey I look great! More likely I am thinking, hey my computer didn’t freeze coming out of sleep or hey I don’t need to reboot for fkn updates or share my data with the MS mothership.

Yes Macs are expensive but you are not just paying for hardware, you are paying for the complete package / ecosystem.
I'm not saying every mac user is a poser, I assume many are just not tech savvy enough to get the best bang for their money, or know that a good laptop does not start at $2000. Or whatever they dare charge for a macbook nowadays.
Every one of my friends who bought a macbook at some point had inferior hardware (not just quality wise) and paid at least 50% (I'm being generous as some paid 200-300%) more for it than a comparable x86 laptop would've cost.
Of course they'd never admit that as confirmation bias kicks in and they try to rationalize their choice. When it is irrational to buy a macbook if you have all the facts. If they said it was a brand choice we wouldn't complain, but they try to sell us that we just hate apple for no reason. Well there are plenty of good reasons to hate apple as I mentioned.

1. Overpriced
  2. Fragile
  3. Shit customer service, that often lies to coerce clients into buying a new product
  4. Sub par engineering
  5. easy points of failure in the HW
  6. soldered in components that make it impossible to even attempt data recovery from a dead macbook without getting 3rd parties involved
  7. They do everything in the book and more to prevent 3rd party repair
  8. Their first party repair shops are terrible charge a ton and do shit work. For good reason: To steer you towards buying a new one instead of hanging on to the old.
Any one of those would be reason enough to give apple a wide berth.

Just because a hammer is gold doesn’t make it jewelry, it is in fact still a hammer.

Or is it your opinion that anything gold/silver/gemstone is automatically jewelry?
LOL, what are you doing? What do you think you're going to prove by going down this rabbit hole?

Did I say it wasn't a hammer? I clearly remember saying it was still a hammer, just a terrible one.

BTW, yes making stuff out of gold has one purpose to be trendy. Except maybe for gold plated contacts on connectors and a few minor electronic components that use gold in them.

They are clients laptops not mine and they ain’t tech savvy. If Windows needs the user to hold it’s hand to last then I guess it’s a shit OS...

Oh hell, it is a shit OS period, Windows XP was good, anything after should have pulled out.
I will give you that, macs are more idiot proof. which is why they get deployed to our teachers...

LOL, what are you doing? What do you think you're going to prove by going down this rabbit hole?

Did I say it wasn't a hammer? I clearly remember saying it was still a hammer, just a terrible one.

BTW, yes making stuff out of gold has one purpose to be trendy. Except maybe for gold plated contacts on connectors and a few minor electronic components that use gold in them.
You’re moving the goalposts of your strawman, and it’s not worth going that off topic. You obviously aren’t willing to change your mind.

You’re moving the goalposts of your strawman, and it’s not worth going that off topic. You obviously aren’t willing to change your mind.
Why would I change my mind? Because you demonstrated that you don't understand that I used gold / jewelry as an analogy of trend trumps function? Yeah, you better bow out lest you need to provide some actual arguments, or perhaps address any of the 7 reasons I listed why you should avoid apple.

PS: Goalposts of a strawman, really? LOL, that goes right to the top of completely ridiculous things I heard this week. Knocking right off the line from an epic shill who said metro exodus didn't sell less on PC than Consoles because of the epic store exclusivity.

1. Fragile
  2. Shit customer service, that often lies to coerce clients into buying a new product
  3. Sub par engineering
  4. easy points of failure in the HW
  5. Their first party repair shops are terrible charge a ton and do shit work. For good reason: To steer you towards buying a new one instead of hanging on to the old.
Any one of those would be reason enough to give apple a wide berth.

I'm not sure those are exactly true. Apple laptops (in general use) don't seem to be any more fragile than any other brand. Do you have any reliable sources for showing an abnormally high failure rate compared to competitors? I doubt there is really much of a difference. Obviously some models over the years have short comings (like the switches the thread is referring to) but the same can be said for practically every major laptop brand. Pricing wise they aren't too far off, or weren't, from comparable higher end models from Dell or similar. Probably around 15-20% or so, which is a good bit, but nowhere near twice as much like some people claim. Especially for laptops, build quality goes a long way and even if you get decent specs many of the cheaper models have flimsy, cheap cases that crack with ease. In general once you move to the higher end models (Dell XPS, insert another high end similar non-gaming laptop here) the gap closes.

Customer service is pretty good though. Far better than the Asian companies which culturally don't believe in CS (Korea, Taiwan, PRC , pretty much every single one). Dell has good CS but most of the rest are fairly subpar compared to either. Most other brands require you to send in a laptop (on your dime) or drive a long distance to some repair external chain they partnered with. This might be different if you live in a low end market where high end consumer goods aren't purchased in volume and I can see Apple not having the supply chain/foot print there. In which case, you'll probably get something more similar to Lenovo or similar style CS.

Whelp...

Of course it has a place in the world. As overpriced designer jewelry.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jewelry

Ornamental pieces of materials used for personal adornment.

Ornamental, decorative. To you an Apple product is nothing more than something someone adorns themselves with. Neither tool nor useful.

A gold hammer is still a hammer, just much less durable and costs a lot more for no good reason.

Strawman. Now all of the sudden jewelry can be effectively useless tools.

Except that a gold hammer is still a hammer. It’s not Jewelry.

Moving the goalposts to “trendy” as opposed to jewelry. Jewelry may often be trendy but trendy items are not exclusive to being jewelry. E.G. iPhones, Apple Watch, drinking Starbucks. All Trendy, and not jewelry.

Why would I change my mind? Because you demonstrated that you don't understand that I used gold / jewelry as an analogy of trend trumps function? Yeah, you better bow out lest you need to provide some actual arguments, or perhaps address any of the 7 reasons I listed why you should avoid apple.

PS: Goalposts of a strawman, really? LOL, that goes right to the top of completely ridiculous things I heard this week. Knocking right off the line from an epic shill who said metro exodus didn't sell less on PC than Consoles because of the epic store exclusivity.

Like I said you won’t change your mind. You have your set bias. Have a fun life.

Whelp...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jewelry

Ornamental pieces of materials used for personal adornment.

Ornamental, decorative. To you an Apple product is nothing more than something someone adorns themselves with. Neither tool nor useful.

Strawman. Now all of the sudden jewelry can be effectively useless tools.

Except that a gold hammer is still a hammer. It’s not Jewelry.

Moving the goalposts to “trendy” as opposed to jewelry. Jewelry may often be trendy but trendy items are not exclusive to being jewelry. E.G. iPhones, Apple Watch, drinking Starbucks. All Trendy, and not jewelry.

Like I said you won’t change your mind. You have your set bias. Have a fun life.
You win sir, I can't argue with someone who don't even understands what a strawman is. And who instead of addressing the points I made chooses to be still hung up on an analogy. But since you don't know what a strawman is, I'd not put it past you to not realize what an analogy is either.

OK, let's say it's not jewelry, it's designer hammer, are you happy now? That still leaves all the listed issues with apple intact.

Last edited:
I'm not sure those are exactly true. Apple laptops (in general use) don't seem to be any more fragile than any other brand. Do you have any reliable sources for showing an abnormally high failure rate compared to competitors? I doubt there is really much of a difference. Obviously some models over the years have short comings (like the switches the thread is referring to) but the same can be said for practically every major laptop brand. Pricing wise they aren't too far off, or weren't, from comparable higher end models from Dell or similar. Probably around 15-20% or so, which is a good bit, but nowhere near twice as much like some people claim. Especially for laptops, build quality goes a long way and even if you get decent specs many of the cheaper models have flimsy, cheap cases that crack with ease. In general once you move to the higher end models (Dell XPS, insert another high end similar non-gaming laptop here) the gap closes.

Customer service is pretty good though. Far better than the Asian companies which culturally don't believe in CS (Korea, Taiwan, PRC , pretty much every single one). Dell has good CS but most of the rest are fairly subpar compared to either. Most other brands require you to send in a laptop (on your dime) or drive a long distance to some repair external chain they partnered with. This might be different if you live in a low end market where high end consumer goods aren't purchased in volume and I can see Apple not having the supply chain/foot print there. In which case, you'll probably get something more similar to Lenovo or similar style CS.
I don't mean customer service as in how clean they try to lick your crack. I mean how helpful they actually are. Apple makes you feel special. Others just create computers. Apple outsources their repair to sweatshops too, where guess who work? Korean and Chinese wage slaves. Don't let the shiny apple store and genius bar fool you, behind the scenes they are actually worse.

There are numerous documented cases of macbooks failing simply by opening / closing the lid, or components desoldering themselves from the board which they fixed by adding a pad on top of the component so the case pushes down on it. What kind of engineering is that?

I mean I can't look at the evidence for you. Just type in "apple engineering failures" into google and look for yourself.

Apple build quality is shit and has been shit for at least 5 years. The soldered in RAM and SSD, do you say that's not true? Or the "diagnostic" chip that doesn't let the computer boot if a component is replaced with one from another computer.

You assert that all 7 of my points are false and only address two, and even there you don't use evidence just what can be considered hearsay.

Jewelry isn’t useful as a tool.

The funny part is I priced out XPS13s and Surface books/pros and they’re all the same price as MacBooks of different flavors.

People just be hella mad.
The Dell XPS always comes up with apple fanatics. Like it's the only x86 notebook. FYI I do think Dell workstation notebooks are overpriced too. And they don't have better build quality either. Most notebooks that failed on me were Dell Precision notebooks. We stopped buying "workstation" laptops at our company 5 years ago. We only buy gaming laptops since. Best decision ever. From the various brands we tried the only one that failed was alienware. Another brand that lives off of brand recognition instead of actual quality.

This is Apple we're talking about. They'll get rid of the switches entirely and you pay them a fee to type.

The Dell XPS always comes up with apple fanatics. Like it's the only x86 notebook. FYI I do think Dell workstation notebooks are overpriced too. And they don't have better build quality either. Most notebooks that failed on me were Dell Precision notebooks. We stopped buying "workstation" laptops at our company 5 years ago. We only buy gaming laptops since. Best decision ever. From the various brands we tried the only one that failed was alienware. Another brand that lives off of brand recognition instead of actual quality.
Apple fanatics lol.

You continue to ignore Microsoft’s first party notebooks.

Microsoft laptops don’t have quality sorry to break it to you— unless you spend as much or more than a mac.
Gaming laptops. RGB is so cool lol.

You win sir, I can't argue with someone who don't even understands what a strawman is. And who instead of addressing the points I made chooses to be still hung up on an analogy. But since you don't know what a strawman is, I'd not put it past you to not realize what an analogy is either.

OK, let's say it's not jewelry, it's designer hammer, are you happy now? That still leaves all the listed issues with apple intact.
Your analogy sucked so I mean maybe come up with better ones?

until the second coming of the real thinkpad, most laptops that typically come loaded with windows are true pieces of junk. something ill never understand is how they get slower... and slower... and slower over time. why is that?

All computers you state or?

my OWN experience.

my previous Intel systems specifically my old E8400 EO (my mom now owns/uses) this Intel based system is/was crazy fast for starting up and launching things, however, give it a day or a few and as you said it seemed to get slower and slower up until I would do a proper shutdown/reboot, then it would magically recall that when the user wants X Ghz clock speed, it means just that, not say one thing but act much much slower.....

I have left my AMD system in a use X hours put to sleep/hibernate for weeks on end with no "feel" of speed loss, the Intel one, 3 days to week and a half max otherwise it would simply get too "laggy" to make worth using, a reboot, problem averted.

I know Intel went with some fancy metals etc compared to others many years back, such as Hafnium mixed into their silicon recipe, many of these "exotics" do not heat/cool the same way so likely Intel (or others who had to follow suit in their own fashion) have some kind of "unicorn dust" trying to keep it's speed/error rate where should be.

I can only kind of surmise it must be something with the "latest and greatest" slowing over time, beyond all that drivers and such make a real mess of things often enough, finally, unless there is an external clock generator (the one the CPU uses to give the speed we see/feel) the poor chips will/cannot mantain this "feel" as the CPU will not be able to refresh itself to the proper frequency.

so, feels like gets slower and slower (which it does) unless you keep telling the CPU it must adjust itself again every X amount of time, or in the case of my olde E8400, I believe it did not have that 2nd external clock generator (if the CPU cannot compare it's results to something outside of it's "zone" then it really has no way of knowing the "clock" is the proper time.

I am not sure if this seems to effect Intel more (the way they build is quite a bit different than others) it must be something to do with the fact is a "chip" more than because is electrical, as I never have had my other electric stuff seem to slow down nearly in the same perceived fashion.....I suppose with all that electro migration, quantum tunneling and all that fancy stuff, they are in fact slowing over time?

Last edited:
I mean I can't look at the evidence for you. Just type in "apple engineering failures" into google and look for yourself.

If you make a claim you're generally asked to follow it up with some solid evidence. No one is denying that Apple hasn't put out some bad products or some products that had a massive failure point. So I'll just ask this again:

Do you have any reliable sources showing an abnormally high failure rate compared to competitors?

I mean I can't look at the evidence for you.

"What I said is true, just believe me". You'd make a good politician. :p

Apple fanatics lol.

You continue to ignore Microsoft’s first party notebooks.

Microsoft laptops don’t have quality sorry to break it to you— unless you spend as much or more than a mac.
Gaming laptops. RGB is so cool lol.
Who said anything about surface? That's a dumpster fire, but how does that make apple products better? You're just using the "when presented with an issue pivot to talking about another issue" fallacy.

And then you go on to bash the styling of gaming laptops, and you dare say that the macbook is not purchased as an ornament but for actual practical purposes.

Well a gaming laptop is actually practical, regardless of the RGB lights, and there are plenty to choose from that don't have it or can be turned off. So what is your point, really? Because you seem to be making my case for me that apple buyers don't choose rationally and don't care about practicality, just that it looks trendy.

If you make a claim you're generally asked to follow it up with some solid evidence. No one is denying that Apple hasn't put out some bad products or some products that had a massive failure point. So I'll just ask this again:

Do you have any reliable sources showing an abnormally high failure rate compared to competitors?

"What I said is true, just believe me". You'd make a good politician. :p
You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Who said anything about surface? That's a dumpster fire, but how does that make apple products better? You're just using the "when presented with an issue pivot to talking about another issue" fallacy.

And then you go on to bash the styling of gaming laptops, and you dare say that the macbook is not purchased as an ornament but for actual practical purposes.

Well a gaming laptop is actually practical, regardless of the RGB lights, and there are plenty to choose from that don't have it or can be turned off. So what is your point, really? Because you seem to be making my case for me that apple buyers don't choose rationally and don't care about practicality, just that it looks trendy.
You don’t seem to want to understand the rationality. You keep talking about fallacies while ignoring what is being said.

So I’ll let you continue unabated.

But the point was longevity stability and being unable to find something at a better price point for the value. The laptop in my bag is 6+ years old. Never had a windows laptop last that long and several other posters concurred.

Your ignorance and blind hate of apple is really on display here. I use different tools for different jobs and none of them are gold hammers.

I’m sure your gaming laptops are great /s

Why don’t you blather more about gold hammers and jewelry :rolleyes:

Back