Apple Thunderbolt Display Successor Will Likely Support Wider Gamut

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The lack of P3 color gamut support is probably a big reason why the current model is being phased out; the late 2015 Retina iMac already features a wide-gamut display. There is also that rumor of a GPU being integrated into the monitor.

While everyone is excited about a new monitor and a GPU, I think there’s a much more grounded reason Apple is refreshing its display hardware: P3. The P3 color gamut is one Apple is big on, and once you see it — you can’t un-see it. It goes well beyond the standard sRGB spectrum and specifically makes greens and blues pop. Apple says P3 brings about 25 percent more color to your display, which is especially handy when editing photos or doing other visual design work. Most good cameras can capture colors our monitors just can’t display, which is why Apple thinks P3 is a winner; it can show those colors.

Glances at my 20 yr old viewsonic p225f monitor and remembers it can do all this fancy new stuff.....

Us laser guys got it easy... 720p raster across the entire colour range with monochrome sources ftmfw. 6 channel colour.
Wake me up when blue oleds dont burn in.

Let's see, Apple will have a press release in probably August/September to announce the iPhone 7 devices. Possible they might announce a new monitor and Macbook Pro updates (if there are any).
It's getting kind of late for back-to-school now - my kids go back the second week of August. Colleges in my area start August, September time frame. I guess they still the Christmas shopping season ahead of them (not sure if that is a big season for Apple or not - Apple products=very expensive gifts. My kids won't be getting any.)

Wider gamut is not always good. It's a huge PITA when you have to send it out to printing and most photo printers don't have that wide of a gamut. Adds more work when you get into soft proofing.

Wider gamut is not always good. It's a huge PITA when you have to send it out to printing and most photo printers don't have that wide of a gamut. Adds more work when you get into soft proofing.
Printers and monitors are inherently different technologies that use light in different ways and will never have the same gamuts.
From wikipedia:
Comparison with RGB displays

Comparison of some RGB and CMYK color gamut on a CIE 1931 xy chromaticity diagram.
Comparisons between RGB displays and CMYK prints can be difficult, since the color reproduction technologies and properties are very different. A computer monitor mixes shades of red, green, and blue light to create color pictures. A CMYK printer instead uses light-absorbing cyan, magenta and yellow inks, whose colors are mixed using dithering, halftoning, or some other optical technique. Similar to monitors, the inks used in printing produce a color gamut that is "only a subset of the visible spectrum" although both color modes have their own specific ranges. As a result of this items which are displayed on a computer monitor may not completely match the look of items which are printed if opposite color modes are being combined in both mediums.[9] When designing items to be printed, designers view the colors which they are choosing on an RGB color mode (their computer screen), and it is often difficult to visualize the way in which the color will turn out post printing because of this.

Printers and monitors are inherently different technologies that use light in different ways and will never have the same gamuts.
From wikipedia:

Doc, you may know this answer then.

So If the gamut is significantly wider on a screen and you load a ICC profile that, of course, has a smaller gamut, wouldn't there be lot of color information lost/unsupported yielding a far less accurate image to print?

Doc, you may know this answer then.

So If the gamut is significantly wider on a screen and you load a ICC profile that, of course, has a smaller gamut, wouldn't there be lot of color information lost/unsupported yielding a far less accurate image to print?
I'm no expert on this, but where I work, the graphic designers generally ignore ICC profiles and just use trial and error until the results look decent.

Back