Apple Threatens Small Start-Up Over "App Store"

HardOCP News

[H] News
To be honest, everyone knows by now that Apple would sue its own mother for using the term "App store." Small open-source start ups are no exception and should be forced out of business under a mountain of legal fees. :rolleyes:

Amahi is an Open Source piece of software that turns a home PC into a central server for streaming video, music and whatnot. It's also the latest recipient of a cease and desist letter from Apple.

IMHO, before all the Apple haters chime in here... What the FUCK is a new start-up thinking, including a product named "app store" in it's suite. Smart business and good business go hand in hand, to help stave off bad business (as patent trolls don't seem to realize).

Where's the smart here?

I'm not a lawyer, but I thought there was some legal precedent where you had to defend your trademarks as part of continuing to own and use them. Like if Apple turned a blind eye to some comparatively small potatoes, they would have less of a legal leg to stand on against a Microsoft or Google when it came to defending those trade marks.

I like Apple products, but I agree that "App Store" is too generic a term for one company to declare a trademark on. They could just ignore Apple and let Amazon duke it out with Apple first.

Now, look what I have done. This will cause a malfunction with the Andriod trolls logic resulting in a rift in the space-time continuim. Owns Apple products..... but does not agree with Apple 110% of the time! Must be a flaw in the reality distortion field. Error! Error!

Amahi has been around for almost as long as the App Store (in Apple's eyes) has been.

This will cause a malfunction with the Andriod trolls logic resulting in a rift in the space-time continuim. Owns Apple products..... but does not agree with Apple 110% of the time! Must be a flaw in the reality distortion field. Error! Error!

I don't think a lot of the hate is Android trolling/fanboism, it's the fact that Apple sorta pisses a lot of people off. Do they make good quality products? Yes. It's what they do with those products coupled with their inflated ego that brings the heat.

Who give a shit about "App" ... It's call Software..

I am sick of these kind of bullshits...

I don't see why Apple should have a problem with someone using a term they claim to have coined. I mean, just because someone else has coined a term and has it trademarked doesn't stop Apple from using it. iPod, iPad, and iOS are all examples of this. If fact, iOS is a pretty damn famous one, considering it is Cisco's software that runs their routers and switches. Anyways, Apple begins using it and then worries about buying it after the fact. I wish Cisco or Fujitsu (iPad) would have told Apple no, because then Apple would have had to change the name well after they announced it.

Although I agree that "App Store" is too general of a term for Apple to own, Amahi should just change theirs to "Apps Store" and go about their business.

If you follow some of the sublinks, you get this: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/amazons-defense-in-apple-lawsuit-steve-jobs-own-words.html

Gotta love Amazon's use of Steve Jobs own words for their defense. The quote shows that Steve Jobs himself used "app store" in a generic term, which is what Amazon/Microsoft claim (that it's too generic to be trademarked).

They should trademark "iApp Store" or something.
Yeah, that was nicely done. They will probably lose at the end of the day. Amahi should change it to "iApp store" and let apple prep another complaint.

I just went over to the site, and that tab for the "app stores changes name"
1. i haz apps
2. app store (the a is modified)
3. app market
4." different language for app" store x2
5. apps tore
6. amahi store
7. application store
there might be more

i give 15 internet dollars to the site... has this always been this way?

This perfectly demonstrates the fact that intellectual property is an artificial monopoly created by the state and how it destroys, rather than helps, competition.

This perfectly demonstrates the fact that intellectual property is an artificial monopoly created by the state and how it destroys, rather than helps, competition.

+ over 9000000000000

This is a prime example of this.

"App store" is two rather generic dictionary words, and just because a big company decided to use them, now nobody else is allowed? Give me a break.

+ over 9000000000000

This is a prime example of this.

"App store" is two rather generic dictionary words, and just because a big company decided to use them, now nobody else is allowed? Give me a break.

And also, why does Apple even care? Are they afraid this small startup is going to overtake them? If Apple's shit tastes so good, then why do they fret? In other words, if Apple has such a great product why would they be afraid of competition? Jobs always says they don't have or sell crap so why are they afraid of competition? If you have a solid product why fear competition? I hate this patent trademark bullshit.

I can't believe apple was granted copyright for "app store" in the first place, would they be granted copyright for "application store"? I think not, hence, they should lose their rights to the ownership of the term "app store"

give me a break.

I actually have an Amahi server at home. It's excellent. Migrated from WHS about 4 months ago. Not for the non-geek however.

This lawsuit would be similar to a store like Safeway suing Kroeger for selling their products as "food". What a bunch of bullcrap. Applications apply to more than just apple computers, and "Apps" isn't owned by apple it's owned by the english language. Maybe I should just copyright my first name and then sue everybody who is using it while we are at it.

"App Forge" "Treasure Box" ROFL that's effing hilarious!

These name patents are retarded. Can you imagine if this same type of standard had been upheld hundreds of years ago? I'm sorry, you can't call your store that sells food and dried goods a grocery store; that has been trademarked by Douchebag and Sons, Inc.

LOL they are having fun with Apple now.
http://www.amahi.org/apps

keep clicking the app store button and it keeps changing.

This is epic:
Apistor
Appl Store
Le Store
App Shop
Amahi Market
Appapalooza
App Joint
Applications
App Emporium
I Haz Apps
iStore
Apps Tore
App Center
App Market
The GOOD
HDApp Store
Appalog
Web App
App Central
Appmahi
App Lestore
Amahi Apps
Addons
Treasure Box
App Depot
Apps
aStore
Amahi Mall
Fruit Salad
App Silo
App Laden
The A(pp) Hole
/-\ |' |'
@ppStore
Tienda de Apps
Amahi Bazaar
App Forge
App Mart

IMHO, before all the Apple haters chime in here... What the FUCK is a new start-up thinking, including a product named "app store" in it's suite. Smart business and good business go hand in hand, to help stave off bad business (as patent trolls don't seem to realize).

Where's the smart here?

I'm usually in for some Apple hate, but I agree with you here. What were these guys thinking.

I'm with Apple on this one.

No no everyone! If any word starts with a capitol A in it or a lowercase i that implies it belongs to Apple. Don't be copyright infringers! Big brother is watching you, and he will eat your newborn chirens.

Why? because app store is not generic? Seems damn generic for me.

I don't think he's talking about App Store being trademarked, but rather why would someone go out of their way to get smacked down by a corporate giant. You don't poke a sleeping lion with a stick when it's not in a cage.

Back