Apple: The iPhone Is Guaranteed to Last Only One Year

Consumers reasonably expect two years of life out of a smartphone with a one year warranty?

Which leads me to my follow up question, does any phone manufacturer have a warranty from the manufacturer for 2 years?

LG G6 warranty is two years as long as you register the product (which is free). G6 specifically though. I don't think even the slightly newer V30 has a two year offer yet.

These are the guarantees I care about:
  1. Replacement if manufacturer defect of a part
  2. Software fixes if bugs exist
  3. Works with the carriers it's rated for, without issue
  4. Battery lasts the advertised time during 2-3 years of the phone's initial existence
  5. Phone performs as advertised, speed, features/functions, charging rate, etc
It's about ensuring I get what I pay for, not covering my ass if I break it as my fault. If it breaks and it's _not_ my fault (software bug, for example), that is when I would expect the manufacturer to handle the shit at their expense.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THE PHONE COSTS SO FUCKING MUCH.

Why should smartphones be "guaranteed" to work at all? Hell, some people drop their phones right out of the box.

My 6+ is still going strong and I got it at launch. But then again, I keep it in a case.

Sure. I understand manufacturer defects and the like. For example 0 dead pixels is perfect. 1 dead pixel is 1 too many. The "Touch Disease" was a problem of phones being bent, causing something to happen to the contacts inside the phone.

Who should take responsibility for bent phones? Should it be Apple who made the phones, but didn't make them life proof? How about the user that bend it on purpose, but still got bent from doing something?

These are the guarantees I care about:
  1. Replacement if manufacturer defect of a part
  2. Software fixes if bugs exist
  3. Works with the carriers it's rated for, without issue
  4. Battery lasts the advertised time during 2-3 years of the phone's initial existence
  5. Phone performs as advertised, speed, features/functions, charging rate, etc
It's about ensuring I get what I pay for, not covering my ass if I break it as my fault. If it breaks and it's _not_ my fault (software bug, for example), that is when I would expect the manufacturer to handle the shit at their expense.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THE PHONE COSTS SO FUCKING MUCH.

Within the warranty period or outside of it? I dont understand why people expect things to be fixed outside of the warranty period. The warranty period is what the manufacturer states the device will work for and that if there is some unknown flaw during that period they will fix it. Sometimes if a flaw is found that was determined to be during the warranty period but didnt actually cause the problem until after they will still fix it.

Again its like going to your car manufacturer and saying your tie rod broke after 7 years when your warranty has been expired for 4 years. Average age for cars is something like 16 years in the US. No way its reasonable to expect manufacturers to fix things. Cost is not an important factor in this discussion.

You really need me to explicitly clarify that I'm talking about under Warranty? Come the fuck on guy, don't nit pick for fuck's sake.

Within the warranty period or outside of it? I dont understand why people expect things to be fixed outside of the warranty period. The warranty period is what the manufacturer states the device will work for and that if there is some unknown flaw during that period they will fix it. Sometimes if a flaw is found that was determined to be during the warranty period but didnt actually cause the problem until after they will still fix it.

Again its like going to your car manufacturer and saying your tie rod broke after 7 years when your warranty has been expired for 4 years. Average age for cars is something like 16 years in the US. No way its reasonable to expect manufacturers to fix things. Cost is not an important factor in this discussion.

You really need me to explicitly clarify that I'm talking about under Warranty? Come the fuck on guy, don't nit pick for fuck's sake.

Given the topic and some others opinions it's a very relevant and valid question...

Your response was unwarranted and idiotic. I hope you realise that now. I shouldn't have to explain every hole in anything I say, there are things that are implied, clearly you did not clue into that... somehow.

I recommend you stop responding at this point, as it's not productive.

Given the topic and some others opinions it's a very relevant and valid question...

Your response was unwarranted and idiotic. I hope you realise that now. I shouldn't have to explain every hole in anything I say, there are things that are implied, clearly you did not clue into that... somehow.

I recommend you stop responding at this point, as it's not productive.

I suggest you read the forum rules before you get yourself in trouble...

In the EU its guaranteed to last 2 years ;)

But its ok, if it breaks Apple will continue with their illegal practice of using old used or refurbed components to fix it.

Still on my good ol Note 4. Performs absolutely flawlessly, has never seen a case and looks 99% new. Just put a new battery in it(in 10 seconds) and it's like this thing MAKES power lol.

They wouldn't get away with it in Australia. Under Australian consumer law your statutory rights can and often do exceed the warranty period.

As an expensive item, and one that is most often sold with a 2 year contract to repay it it would be hard to argue that a 2 year life isn't reasonable if not longer.

Of course this is one of the reasons why stuff is so expensive here.

Given these phones now cost 1k or more and you cannot service them in any way, there is hardly any repair you can reasonably perform yourself, I think a 2 year warranty is reasonable and we should get it. Of course Apple won't, why would they, people don't care and line up to buy it. Wacky world.

They wouldn't get away with it in Australia. Under Australian consumer law your statutory rights can and often do exceed the warranty period.

As an expensive item, and one that is most often sold with a 2 year contract to repay it it would be hard to argue that a 2 year life isn't reasonable if not longer.

Of course this is one of the reasons why stuff is so expensive here.
Do car manufacturers have to match their warranties with car loans in Australia?

I hate the click bait titles in the news sections of this forum.

IPhone guaranteed to last only one year

IPhone only guaranteed to last one year

Those do not mean the same thing. I would've still clicked the thread if it didn't have a misleading title.

Do car manufacturers have to match their warranties with car loans in Australia?

No but flip it round, a bank wouldn't secure a loan on an asset that can't be expected to still have a value within the repayment period. So it sets bounds of reasonableness

Car design and manufacturing flaws are generally covered by recalls anyway but where they are not, if it's a design or manufacturing flaw then the court often sides with the customer.

No but flip it round, a bank wouldn't secure a loan on an asset that can't be expected to still have a value within the repayment period. So it sets bounds of reasonableness

Car design and manufacturing flaws are generally covered by recalls anyway but where they are not, if it's a design or manufacturing flaw then the court often sides with the customer.
Maybe that's true in Australia but it's 180 degrees out from reality in the United States. Recalls generally only cover safety issues and the courts rarely side with consumers--especially when it comes to design issues. An electronic device failing outside the warranty period hasn't ever been considered a design "flaw" regardless.

In any case, you can't simply "flip it around." The analogy I made is the metric to apply: if you argue that a manufacturer has to warranty a product until a 3rd party's financial obligation is met, then you must also argue that car manufacturers warranty their products until bank loans are paid off, which is ridiculous.

Standard industry car warranties are 3 years, while standard car loans are 5.
Standard new home construction defect protection is 10 years, while standard mortgages are 30.

If this case resolved in the way you are arguing and set a precedence that warranties had to be honored for the entire period of a 3rd party loan existed, a cottage industry of 100 year loan services for electronic devices and everything under the sun would pop up. It'd be the new "lifetime" warranty...for only pennies a day!

So how come we aren't going after everyone other company that only does 1 year warranty?

Anti-apple fanboys are getting worse and worse.

I'm not arguing anything. I said that Australian law gives more rights than this and used the financial example of where they'd struggle to argue its useful life as 2 year contracts are overwhelmingly how they are sold.

I also acknowledged that's why things are more expensive here. None of this is flag waving, just pointing out a difference. I know the US does it different because I lived there.

There is no way apple think they are only producing a device for 12 months, but when faced with market and legal issues you spin your position and hope that it sticks.

The concern here is that the contracts are from the mobile phone companies, not Apple, so how does this have anything to do with the manufacturer?

That's pretty shitty of Apple, IMO. Force people to shell out enough to cover their insane prices for sticking with the brand, but only offer minimal longevity.

Why should smartphones be "guaranteed" to work at all? Hell, some people drop their phones right out of the box.

My 6+ is still going strong and I got it at launch. But then again, I keep it in a case.

CID (customer induced damage) is almost never covered by any standard warranty of any company...which is why they get people on the hook for purchasing extended warranties with accidental damage insurance/coverage.

That's pretty shitty of Apple, IMO. Force people to shell out enough to cover their insane prices for sticking with the brand, but only offer minimal longevity.

Huh? Apple isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. If you want to stay with iOS, there are a lot of new phones that don't cost $1,000, that are Apple branded. Apple will still sell you a new 6S if you wanted one, and the SE is 1/3 the price of an X at MSRP.

Or hey, you could keep using your existing phone, and repair if and as needed. Apple doesn't magically break them, even when they stop supporting. I have an original iPhone. It still turns on and connects (on Edge). It still runs iOS 3 and every app that I had installed on it. When iOS 11 comes out later this week, 4S and 5 owners won't see their phone all of a sudden stop working.

I agree they could make the phones longer lived - but part of that forced obsolence is because the smart phone industry is so young, the tech is advancing breakneck. It's like computers in the early 90s - every year a new model was out, and the new OS wouldn't run on your old computer any longer. It's not entirely because the phone is made poorly, a good bit of it is that new phones are just advancing so fast it makes the old phones look worse than they are, and that makes OS and App support much more difficult.

In another 10 years the tech will have slowed way down, phone makers will have a hard time coming up with crap to one-up each other, and warranty/lifespan will become the new "must-have" marketing bulletpoint on the side of the box - much like Kia and Hyundai have done with cars.

If all you wanted to do with your phone is make phone calls, you wouldn't be purchasing an Apple in the first place. You'd take whatever the carrier threw at you for free with your plan.

Seriously this site sucks when it comes to shit talking click bait like this.

Now why don’t you do a few articles about how come all the other smartphones out there last forever, and never have problems...

Because HardOCP just rehash clickbait shit for hitsnow and because they have a hard on for Apple.

Apple build thei lr products to last, this planned obsolesce is just Apple hate garbage. Apple introduce new updates and features over time that slow legacy products down... dont like it? dont update your dam phone or disable the features

Better yet go to some shitty fragmented android ecosystem and loose all update support after 12 months compared to the 4+ years Apple allow.

Got news for you, if Apple wanted you to buy a new phone every 12 months, they wouldnt keep updating it for years and years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Because HardOCP just rehash clickbait shit for hitsnow and because they have a hard on for Apple.

Apple build thei lr products to last, this planned obsolesce is just Apple hate garbage. Apple introduce new updates and features over time that slow legacy products down... dont like it? dont update your dam phone or disable the features

Better yet go to some shitty fragmented android ecosystem and loose all update support after 12 months compared to the 4+ years Apple allow.

Got news for you, if Apple wanted you to buy a new phone every 12 months, they wouldnt keep updating it for years and years...

Yep, the click bait titles need to stop, its getting pretty pathetic....

but Apple DOES want to you buy a iphone every year, but they sure as hell wont sell much if they only update the phone for 1 year.

Yep, the click bait titles need to stop, its getting pretty pathetic....

but Apple DOES want to you buy a iphone every year, but they sure as hell wont sell much if they only update the phone for 1 year.

of course they want you to buy a new phone, every company in the world wants you to buy new products. That is a far fetch from sabotaging current products though so they only last 12 months which Apple never do. I rate them the highest when it comes to supporting existing products and providing updates. Android abandon products like pets on the side of the road.

Back