Apple Tells Senator It May Give Rebates To Customers Who Bought iPhone Batteries

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
The Hill is reporting that Apple has sent a letter to Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John Thune, that states it is exploring the option of offering rebates to customers who bought iPhone batteries at full price. The company says that it is exploring the option after Thune pressed the tech giant over its practice of slowing iPhones as their battery life deteriorates over time.

In my opinion this is something Apple needs to do. I honestly don't know why it took a senator "pressing" the issue to make Apple think of it. The report does not state is Apple will offer rebates to those whose batteries exploded from biting them.

“While we don’t know what will come of the [Justice Department] and [Securities and Exchange Commission] probes, we do know that all of us can work together to reach constructive solutions that promote innovation and accountability in the tech sector.”

The discounted $40 upgrade for replacement batteries that they offered was a joke. Have they fixed the intentional software slowdown yet?

apple should replace the batteries for free and the devices if they dont have the batteries

Car part X wears out... car goes into different mode... no big deal

Phone part X wears out... phone goes into different mode... OMG CALL CONGRESS!!!!!!!!!!

Phone part X wears out... phone goes into different mode... OMG CALL CONGRESS!!!!!!!!!!
Not the same thing (if you're talking about emergency running mode designed to get you off the freeway and to the nearest mechanic). Apple and ice cream comparison at best.

Forgot to add that it did so without giving any error code to the customer and still under the 2y warranty.

Ohh wait, that paints the proper picture of why it was shitty of apple to do so, and we can't have that, can we?

:rolleyes:

Forgot to add that it did so without giving any error code to the customer and still under the 2y warranty.

Ohh wait, that paints the proper picture of why it was shitty of apple to do so, and we can't have that, can we?

:rolleyes:

Youve moved the goalposts though.

Apple didn’t advertised geek bench performance of the phone. They did with battery life. So why is it necessary to inform the user?

When you start involving Congress it’s gotten way out of hand. Most of the people bitching don’t even own iPhones.

Apple is a shitty company so no surprise there TBH. Crazies will still buy their products so this vicious cycle will continue. People who are pissed off about what Apple does should just refrain from buying their products. These are the people who give Apple money to do whatever the hell they want (and likely get away with it). Vote with your wallet!

The Hill is reporting that Apple has sent a letter to Senate Commerce Committee Chairman John Thune, that states it is exploring the option of offering rebates to customers who bought iPhone batteries at full price. The company says that it is exploring the option after Thune pressed the tech giant over its practice of slowing iPhones as their battery life deteriorates over time.

In my opinion this is something Apple needs to do. I honestly don't know why it took a senator "pressing" the issue to make Apple think of it. The report does not state is Apple will offer rebates to those whose batteries exploded from biting them.

“While we don’t know what will come of the [Justice Department] and [Securities and Exchange Commission] probes, we do know that all of us can work together to reach constructive solutions that promote innovation and accountability in the tech sector.”

Hey, that's great. I mean, they "may" offer rebates.

I "may" start dating supermodels. Multiple ones. At the same time. With their consent and participation.

Then again, I may not. But I am "exploring the option".

Yeah, sorry not sorry.
I side with Apple on this one and I wish the company nothing but pain, suffering and bankruptcy.

You (Apple device owner) bought into this ecosystem when you purchased their products.
They already have this extreme stance towards the UI/UX, why isn't it acceptable they make changes that impact battery life, to sustain the experience you are used to having?

Now suddenly there's buyer's remorse and you want options and control?!
It's literally what you paid them to do to you! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, sorry not sorry.
I side with Apple on this one and I wish the company nothing but pain, suffering and bankruptcy.

You (Apple device owner) bought into this ecosystem when you purchased their products.
They already have this extreme stance towards the UI/UX, why isn't it acceptable they make changes that impact battery life, to sustain the experience you are used to having?

Now suddenly there's buyer's remorse and you want options and control?!
It's literally what you paid them to do to you! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
They made an accurate decision with performance limiting design. Their poor choice of keeping it a secret is what has (most) owners upset.

Also when people go in for battery repair the tech's working the counter does a battery test first to tell the customer if its recommended or not. They don't recommend a battery replacement unless its less than 30% life left, which is like 1800 discharges or something. I think where Apple is coming from in regards to offering a refund to those who had a replacement done is that they were most likely in need of one anyways and didn't screw anyone over.

Youve moved the goalposts though.

Apple didn’t advertised geek bench performance of the phone. They did with battery life. So why is it necessary to inform the user?

When you start involving Congress it’s gotten way out of hand. Most of the people bitching don’t even own iPhones.

How did i move the goalpost when i just put into text all that you left out?

Whatever, keep being an apologist, enjoy it all since it is your choice, customer protection laws will decide in the end :D loooooooooool

edit:
so everyone can read, "posting facts that showed why Verge's arguments were bollocks since the similarity wasn't such is considered moving Goalposts!... obviously since it shows that HIS goalposts were bollocks!"

Back