Apple Tech Support Lets Hacker Take Reporter's Email

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are an Apple iDevice user, or know someone that is, I suggest reading this. If you aren't an Apple iDevice user, you can just read this for the laugh.

So how did it happen? Apple confirmed that the hacker got in via its tech support "and some clever social engineering that let them bypass security questions", according to Honan, who sensibly doesn't elaborate. He wants to give Apple the chance to change its policies before revealing how the mistake was made.

Not surprising. My old itunes account got hacked somehow, and of course the hackers changed the account email address. I called itunes support and they kept resetting my password, sending it to the hackers new email address, even after I told them over and over again they had changed it. Off-shore tech support guy don't give a shit.

I've lost my iFaith :mad:

Oh, wait I never trusted Apple to begin with.

What kind of idiot sets up their data so that some minimum wage lackey can allow anyone remote access to them?

When I worked at AOL tech support, that was actually the first thing they trained us to fight against. We were taught how to detect social engineering, and to never EVER let them have any information they did not provide to us first. Also to never confirm any piece of information either, just it as a whole.

So AOL taught it's technical support better than Apple. (I didn't actually work AT AOL, but at a company they contracted through, but still...)

Wow... this dude got pwned HARD!! Remote wiping the data on all his iDevices is just pure evil.

Apple really has serious issues with security, issues that no other company that size should have.

Wow... this dude got pwned HARD!! Remote wiping the data on all his iDevices is just pure evil.
I don't really feel sorry for the guy. He's supposed to know tech and writes about it, seems like a huge fanboy, and did not back up.
And I'm pretty sure he will learn nothing about the dangers of giving up power over your devices and data.

I don't really feel sorry for the guy. He's supposed to know tech and writes about it, seems like a huge fanboy, and did not back up.
And I'm pretty sure he will learn nothing about the dangers of giving up power over your devices and data.
hahaha, ok man. of course apple automatically creates back ups every hour both locally and whatever USB or network drive you bother to connect it to so there's really nothing to be said about apple as a product on this one when the bonehead turned off all the backing up mechanisms and didn't replace it with something equally simple.

Back