Apple Surrenders to Nokia in Patent Fight

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, you don't see this very often, Apple surrendering in a patent fight? You can tell Apple wasn't happy about the deal just by reading the company's press release:

"Apple and Nokia have agreed to drop all of our current lawsuits and enter into a license covering some of each others' patents, but not the majority of the innovations that make the iPhone unique," the company said. "We're glad to put this behind us and get back to focusing on our respective businesses."

Ruh roh Raggie, someone better call Safelite, I detect a crack in the RDF!

Nokia must have had beyond a strong case for Apple to settle. Apple rarely settles and especially not with cross-license agreements. Apple has mostly pulled out the checkbook when cornered. Wow, epic Nokia win.

C'mon now, is anyone really suprised? This is how the vast majority of tech industry pissing contests work out. Cross-licensing of technologies.

It switches them from a "mine Mine MINE!" mentality to a "Yours, Mine and Ours" Mentality, everyone makes money, and everyone is happy.

The only reason for the lawsuits is to figure out who gets the most money. I suspect it's usually the lawyers.

According to the article, Nokia's setting its sight on Google next. I think they're getting greedy.

who needs to make a successful product any more, just sue the people that do

"but not the majority" that is pricelees right there. Sounds like somthing a little kid would say to save face while being moraly confronted.

I'm glad that they made an agreement, this should happen more imo. Less lawyers the better, in these cases.

"but not the majority" that is pricelees right there. Sounds like somthing a little kid would say to save face while being moraly confronted.

or maybe Nokia really didn't get majority of the settlement they wanted? Nokia was gloating too, you know.

If it was Nokia vs Microsoft, the outcome would have been different.

Based on what? The times that MS has gotten their a** handed to them by the courts? Last time I checked the Supreme Court ruled against MS in a pretty major way.

Nokia must have had beyond a strong case for Apple to settle. Apple rarely settles and especially not with cross-license agreements. Apple has mostly pulled out the checkbook when cornered. Wow, epic Nokia win.

Yeah, pretty surprising and Nokia must have had some good stuff for Apple to do this. I do like the "Miami Heat" comments by Apple after bending over though.

What "feature that makes the iphone unique"? The lack of a microSD card? The slow adding of years old near universal features while heralding it as "innovation".

They are backwards thinking patent trolls that try to make out for being out of date by pretending everything is new. Its good to know they haven't bribed all the judges.

I seriously doubt that Nokia will be going after Google next, the article speculates it, but I think it is a case of actual hardware, not software patents. As far as I am aware, all the Android manufacturers have their patent license deals with Nokia in proper order, giving them 0 reason to sue.

Wait, what? You mean Apple DOESN'T invent everything?!

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

"Apple and Nokia have agreed to drop all of our current lawsuits and enter into a license covering some of each others' patents, but not the majority of the innovations that make the iPhone unique,"

Well I kinda figured that Nokia didn't have a patent on the Apple logo.

First the Mavs beat the evil Heat. Now Nokia beat evil Apple. Will pigs fly soon? :cool:

This can only help Windows Phone which is having a tough time but the user satisfaction of the OS is VERY high. If Nokia can build some great hardware for it I think WP stands a very good chance, I really love how clean and simple it is and Zune Pass and Netflix are simply awesome on the platform. I REALLY want to see a top end 4G LTE Verizon device from Nokia SOON.

If you make cellphones, there's three competitors you don't want to sue: Nokia, Ericsson and Motorla. Those three (okay, five now that Motorola is two companies, and Ericsson owns half of Sony Ericsson, but let's keep this simple), between them, practically invented every technology used in cellphones from their inception up to about 2004. Every company that's entered the market after those 3 might have had their own ideas, but ultimately they either copied or duplicated, or based their work on the inventions of the Old Three.

You can't build a cellphone without licensing or violating one of the three's patents. Period. They figured out the basics long ago, and it will be a while before all of the patents roll into the public domain.

I don't believe the issue was that Apple didn't want to pay, just that it didn't want to pay what Nokia originally wanted. We have no idea on if it's more or less, or if existing cross license agreements existing between Apple and Microsoft came into play.

Back