Apple Supplier Cirrus Falls on Risk From IPhone 15 Design Change

erek

[H]F Junkie
Rough

"
  • Austin, Texas-based company gets 88% of revenue from Apple
  • Firm seen impacted by switch from solid-state button design

Cirrus Logic Inc. shares fell 12% on Wednesday as analysts highlighted risks to the Apple Inc. supplier’s bottom line from a reported design change to the iPhone 15."

JSQ2R2ABARNAXNH2X3SNVYA2BI.jpg

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hone-15-design-change?leadSource=uverify wall
https://www.reuters.com/technology/...pple-abandon-button-design-change-2023-04-12/

Apple also pulled their solid state buttons from the iPhone 15 because they keep failing. Sucks to be them I suppose because Apple likely won't come back should they fix it in the future.

I may be in the minority here (or maybe not?) but I didn't like the idea of solid state buttons to begin with. A solution in search of a problem.
I had read about some of the issues they were having before this announcement. Obvious stuff that arm-chair critics like me figured out like: oh, it's hard to use with gloves on. There has to be an entirely separate taptic engine just for the buttons. Turning on and off the phone is now an issue that has to be solved. If you need to do force restarts or shutdowns that also is an issue. Regular switches are more robust. And so on.

While theoretically this would allow the phone to be more water/dust proof and save Apple likely a ridiculous amount of money with not having to provide seals for the two button locations, it was an awful amount of work for such a small payoff.

Apple also pulled their solid state buttons from the iPhone 15 because they keep failing. Sucks to be them I suppose because Apple likely won't come back should they fix it in the future.
Good. Apple finally making a correct decision. There is nothing wrong with the physical buttons. They are developing a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist other than the fact that it’s another obvious cost cutting measure. People want the tactile feel of a real button and mute switch.

I may be in the minority here (or maybe not?) but I didn't like the idea of solid state buttons to begin with. A solution in search of a problem.
I'm sure the reason is because they need a reason for consumers to spend $1k+ on a new phone they won't notice any difference from their old phone.
While theoretically this would allow the phone to be more water/dust proof and save Apple likely a ridiculous amount of money with not having to provide seals for the two button locations, it was an awful amount of work for such a small payoff.
Someone has to keep those engineers at California busy. At this rate Apple might because the new Germany of over engineering. Why even have a speaker when you can hear the sound through vibrations in your hands?

I had zero idea Cirrus Logic was still around. I thought for sure they died out during the early days of 3d graphics cards. But yeah let’s keep physical buttons around on stuff.

Good. Apple finally making a correct decision. There is nothing wrong with the physical buttons. They are developing a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist other than the fact that it’s another obvious cost cutting measure. People want the tactile feel of a real button and mute switch.
Only old people like you. Quit stanning for buttons. I finna get my dank, button-less phone. IYKYK. /genA

I'm sure the reason is because they need a reason for consumers to spend $1k+ on a new phone they won't notice any difference from their old phone.
I realize you hate Apple, but if you want to be truly cynical, you should know that they don't need to change anything physically about iPhone to keep selling gens or "needing a reason to price a phone at $1k+". iPhone 10-to-Present basically all look the same with some minor exceptions. Move from 2 to 3 cameras. Curved edged screens vs flat. Chamfered edges vs rounded. "Pro" now has dynamic island instead of notch. But basically all the design language has stayed the same.
Someone has to keep those engineers at California busy. At this rate Apple might because the new Germany of over engineering. Why even have a speaker when you can hear the sound through vibrations in your hands?
I personally appreciate them actually developing ideas so they're good. And to me it shows what kind of company Apple is in terms of engineering when they invest this amount of money into an idea, and then decide to back track on it when it doesn't work they way they want it to.

These buttons may be dumb, but this mentality has lead to, as you try to use as an insult, the best haptic engine in a phone period. It's lead to great stereo separation from speakers that don't have the same openings on opposite ends of the phone. It has lead to the best Face verification technology. Best battery life per watt (there are Android phones with more, but require larger batteries to do so). Best multi-hz display technology. Best processors. Best most clear mics (people even use them to voice record for Youtube segments). It's also lead to phones being relevant for 6+ years, though most "normal" people buy every 2-3 years. I'm on my fourth year and have no reason to upgrade.

Not "original"? Who cares. I want a phone that is bulletproof and does what I want it to and quickly. Some will always use them as a status symbol, but just because they're that doesn't mean they aren't anything more than that.

• Austin, Texas-based company gets 88% of revenue from Apple
  • Firm seen impacted by switch from solid-state button design

Cirrus Logic Inc. shares fell 12% on Wednesday as analysts highlighted risks to the Apple Inc. supplier’s bottom line from a reported design change to the iPhone 15."
I realize that Cirrus and their switches are highly specialized items, but this is a classic case of "putting all your eggs in one basket", and any company who is stupid enough to do so, well, then they deserve whatever happens to them...

Hopefully they have a back-up plan and/or the financial reserves to withstand this drop in revenues until they can find some other customers for their stuff... and again, if they don't, then the comment above applies again...

"Stupid is as stupid does"
"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

'nuff said :D

Reactions: erek
like this
I realize that Cirrus and their switches are highly specialized items, but this is a classic case of "putting all your eggs in one basket", and any company who is stupid enough to do so, well, then they deserve whatever happens to them...

Hopefully they have a back-up plan and/or the financial reserves to withstand this drop in revenues until they can find some other customers for their stuff... and again, if they don't, then the comment above applies again...

"Stupid is as stupid does"
"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

'nuff said :D
speaking of Cirrus, scope this prototype out

https://twitter.com/yjfycom/status/1647197756958871552

Back