Apple Sues School For Using An Apple Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh, I'll interject some comments- why not (this is going to end badly.... lol)

/rant mode: initiated

I (and a couple other engineers from my firm) went to a large university a few weeks back, to recruit.

It was an engineering career fair, so there were a lot of (you guessed it) companies that hire engineers, with booths set up. (An entire arena-full. This was a big university)

Aaaanyway.... so, on some of our downtime, I went to look around, and talk to other companies, see what was going on in their industries, shoot the shit- etc.

I got to the Apple booth.

Holy shit, did I want to punch them in the face. While everyone else is dressed in professional attire and acting courteously, they are wearing tattered jeans, sitting on the tables, and being loud/obnoxious, during the entire event. These shit-dicks couldn't act professionally if their lives depended on it. They went on and on and oooon spouting pro-Mac/pro-Apple propaganda... There were students who didn't even approach the Apple booth- not because of their dislike for the company- but because of the representatives at the event. Apple probably missed out on some talented recruits, because of their fuck-hole representatives.

One of them came up to our booth, pushed me out of the way, and was pointing at one of our 3D finite-element animations on one of our monitors, saying "oh...teehee... I just wanted to look at that, cause it had pretty colors! lol teehee... excuse me! teehee!..."

*Urge to kill rising*

It was annoying, to say the least. "Think different?" How about you fucking THINK. Worry about the "different" part later, when you've figured out the first part. Fuckers.

I'm assuming they just sent some retard HR people to the event, instead of actual engineers. Let us hope.

Apple can shove that gay logo up their collective asses.

/rant mode: deactivated

huh? where am I? what did I miss?

I (and a couple other engineers from my firm) went to a large university a few weeks back, to recruit.

It was an engineering career fair, so there were a lot of (you guessed it) companies that hire engineers, with booths set up. (An entire arena-full. This was a big university)

Aaaanyway.... so, on some of our downtime, I went to look around, and talk to other companies, see what was going on in their industries, shoot the shit- etc.

Holy shit, did I want to punch them in the face. While everyone else is dressed in professional attire and acting courteously, they are wearing tattered jeans, sitting on the tables, and being loud/obnoxious, during the entire event. These shit-dicks couldn't act professionally if their lives depended on it. They went on and on and oooon spouting pro-Mac/pro-Apple propaganda... There were students who didn't even approach the Apple booth- not because of their dislike for the company- but because of the representatives at the event. Apple probably missed out on some talented recruits, because of their fuck-hole representatives.

One of them came up to our booth, pushed me out of the way, and was pointing at one of our 3D finite-element animations on one of our monitors, saying "oh...teehee... I just wanted to look at that, cause it had pretty colors! lol teehee... excuse me! teehee!..."

*Urge to kill rising*

It was annoying, to say the least. "Think different?" How about you fucking THINK. Worry about the "different" part later, when you've figured out the first part. Fuckers.

I'm assuming they just sent some retard HR people to the event, instead of actual engineers. Let us hope.

I wonder if Greenpeace is secretly a part of Apple too. You described them perfectly lol

I wonder if Greenpeace is secretly a part of Apple too. You described them perfectly lol

Well it's part of the "cool" movement, so yeah, most likley. TOOL1075, just look for all the Prius's in the parking lot and you know where to wait for them after the convention :p

Well it's part of the "cool" movement, so yeah, most likley. TOOL1075, just look for all the Prius's in the parking lot and you know where to wait for them after the convention :p

You must have been there. That leads me to my next rant!!!!

So I'm in the parking lot.

In my 4x4 pickup. (yeah, that's right, I like to suck down gas like a motherfucker)

I see some of the SAME Apple retards blocking traffic, as they entered a one-way parking aisle. The gridlock created was unbearable. People were getting angry, horns were starting to sound- it wasn't good.

Because of the situation they had created, they were stuck in an aisle, and the only way out would have been for EVERYONE to move and let them out. They apparently don't know how to park/turn/drive. They were probably "thinking differently" during their driving school.

What did I do? Well, I took a ride over the grassy hill barrier with my 4 wheel drive, motherfuckers. Screw waiting for a bunch of Apple monkeys to figure out a simple problem.

The Apple fags looked on in disbelief, disgust, and envy. Assholes.

What did I do? Well, I took a ride over the grassy hill barrier with my 4 wheel drive, motherfuckers. Screw waiting for a bunch of Apple monkeys to figure out a simple problem.

Ahhh yes I too have done similar in my 10mpg rig.

I think that Microsoft should change their name to "Orange". That way we can start comparing apples to oranges.

It was funny in my head :D

Ironically, manufacturing the batteries in all those Priuses causes more damage to the environment. I mean, look at the big hole above the mines in Sudbury, Ontario.

back on topic...i'm quite ashamed to own a mac. Imagine what would have happened if Futuremark copyrighted "pwnage".

You must have been there. That leads me to my next rant!!!!

So I'm in the parking lot.

In my 4x4 pickup. (yeah, that's right, I like to suck down gas like a motherfucker)

I see some of the SAME Apple retards blocking traffic, as they entered a one-way parking aisle. The gridlock created was unbearable. People were getting angry, horns were starting to sound- it wasn't good.

Because of the situation they had created, they were stuck in an aisle, and the only way out would have been for EVERYONE to move and let them out. They apparently don't know how to park/turn/drive. They were probably "thinking differently" during their driving school.

Yep, I completley agree with you there. I too had to put my 4x4 into some action to navigate some circumstances (enviromentalists hates hummers and they LOVE to block you in or do stupid shit to aggitate the driver because apparently it's "cool").

I'm sure it's more about the publicity than anything else.

I always thought there should be a worm sticking out of the bite.

See there is a differance between this and the M$ case. M$ was upset because products were using windows in the name. For example, something like Windows Turbo Boost. (made up) Now what if WTB was a crock of shit and it screwed up your system. People would then blame M$ because the product bears its name implying that M$ supports this piece of software. This is common in almost every industry. Products will not specificly name something but its known what it is, without the the legal backdoor if it fails.

This on the other hand is Apple being selfish like always. Now if it was silver, ok, and without the text. but they are totaly differant and this is just the Mac cult on their next warpath. If it wasnt for the following im sure more people would use Apple stuff (except me, because everything Apple I ever use including my iphone, is just a joke, and an overpriced under-supported joke to boot)

Oh jeez, really? That is a new low. I don't think even Microsoft ever tried a lawsuit like this. Did they?
Well, it's usually Microsoft ripping off other companies, not the other way around. :D But MS did sue Linux company Lindows, and ended up paying them off to change their name to Linspire because Windows is a generic term (first coined bt Apple, IIRC).

For the record, a trademark holder has an obligation to police their mark, or they can lose it. It isn't a matter of the school not being a competitor or hurting Apple's bottom line. If the mark gets diluted or turns generic, Apple's mark is screwed.

As opposed to you, representing your company on the Hardforums with courtesy and class. :rolleyes:

*Urge to kill rising*

As opposed to you, representing your company on the Hardforums with courtesy and class. :rolleyes:

He's off the clock and can express his opinion just like any human being can :rolleyes:

Oh look, an apple troll is late to the party :rolleyes:

He didn't represent a company here, so please step off your high horse.

I wonder who cares more about education.

Microsoft gives most of their new software to students for free.

Apple sues a school over their logo.

That's inexcuseable. I hope that school burns a labs worth of apple workstations, and records it.

For a really good laugh, read the comments from the Mac Zealot's after the article. Just another proof that Mac Zealot's don't live in the same world as the rest of humanity.
:rolleyes:

This is ridiculous...I suppose the other company could've inverted the leaf's direction, but still. The body shape is totally different, the leaf on the top is an *actual* green leaf, it's even green (!), and the colors and there's even an acronym on it.

I like Apple (puts flame suit on) but this is stupid as hell...

How could this possibly hold up in court? I don't see how Apple can show that a school logo that looks like an apple might be confusing to consumers and hurt their brand.

I understand that they have to protect their logo and such, but this is pushing it.

That's inexcuseable. I hope that school burns a labs worth of apple workstations, and records it.

Apple does give you an ipod for buying a $2,000 laptop... they also give you some cheesy small discount.

Yeah you are right :) Microsoft gives most of it's products away to schools and is a large contributor to school systems in 3rd world nations.

Next up the lawsuit against the relatives of Newton using the apple for his theories of gravity.

Okay it looks similar in shape to the apple logo, but it doesn't have a chunk missing out of the side, and it's decorated with more than one colour as well as a big divide through the middle, and of all the people to sue, a college, where potential Apple employees are studying, and the school was probably planning on buying a few new systems...tough shit now, Apple just lost a few customers.

I honestly can't believe some of the comments below the article. Many of the people seem to rationalize heavily in defend Apple. One guy even says:

"This is an obvious case where Apple is forced to react. In copyright law, you are obliged to defend your rights and you cannot choose who and when to react"

:rolleyes:

It is true in trademark law (not copyright - although delaying registering your copyright can severely limit your ability to recoup damages) that if you do not defend your trademark you can lose it. However, Apple does seem to go around suing everyone who uses anything that looks even remotely like their logo.

Yup nothing new, Apple has tried this with a few companies and what it comes down to is the companies they sure - are not in the same buisness as apple so they loose every time!

I'm not representing ANY company on these forums. Do you see my firm's name on my posts? Do you even know where I work? No.

Those clowns WERE representing APPLE at the event.

Don't be an idiot.

VSBT is currently a large customer of Apple's, with a significant segment of its labs being Apple computers.

Way to piss of potential customers apple! now wonder your market share will never take over pulling crap like this.

Apple lawyer Stephanie Vaccari writes the school, saying its logo is "infringing Apple's rights," while also "falsely suggesting" Apple's approval over the design.

LOL like hell it does you crack smoking whore!

Apple does give you an ipod for buying a $2,000 laptop... they also give you some cheesy small discount.
For what it's worth, some of Apple's software is heavily discounted for students. Granted, other software vendors discount more than Apple, but at least it's something.

capplesuemeze1.jpg

That ought to teach those Canadians! The proper logo for anything Canadian is a Maple leaf. That's all you get, people! The mighty Maple leaf.

That ought to teach those Canadians! The proper logo for anything Canadian is a Maple leaf. That's all you get, people! The mighty Maple leaf.

Not theres an idea... create a company and use the maple leaf as your logo.... pull an apple and sue the pants out of anything Canadian! :p

Kinda sad that they have to pay out the ass for maple syrup though...

Wait no, thats hilarious.

Don't mistaken charity for strategic positioning. I would be willing to place money on the fact that MS gives away their products to schools (and offer deep discounts to students) in the hopes that as the graduates enter the work force and enter decision making roles, they select their product over a competitors simply because they know how to use it. It also forces offices to install MS products for mainstream items like operating systems and office suites because they have a much higher chance of bringing new talent on board without having to train.

The fact that it also makes them look good is quite a nice side effect.

On to the thread topic, I don't typically don't buy Apple products because I don't like how they do business (with their aggressive protection of IP). I'm more of a fan of systems that are a bit more open. But this is ridiculous even by Apple standards.

That is some quality foot shooting.

I did have a thought that I haven't seen though, Apple overhauls it's logo every few years and if there are a bunch of other apple logos out there it limits the direction they can take there logo next and limit there ability to stay trendy.

Oh look, an apple troll is late to the party :rolleyes:

He didn't represent a company here, so please step off your high horse.

No, he's didn't.

He's just showing that there's two ends to the douchebag scale of douchebaggery. Apple tards are on one end, and folks like him are on the other. One end hugs trees, drives hybrids and smokes dope, the other end drives big ass trucks, calls everyone they don't like fags, and thinks the gummint's out to take away their guns.

They both behave like 12 year old twats on xbox live.

Hey, is my stereotype generator running out of power? Scotty! More power!

It's only a matter of time until they hit this grocery chain I grew up around...

http://www.redapplemarkets.com/

Seriously, they can't just sue everything that looks like a stylized apple. And did they do it to the school because it can't fight back as well as a grocery chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back