Apple Sues Samsung For Copying iPhone / iPad

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple is suing Samsung for allegedly copying the "look and feel" of the iPhone / iPad. Wow, if that's all it takes for a lawsuit these days, Summer's Eve should have a great case against Apple. :D

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products."

Last edited:
The look and feel? How do you even fucking define that?

And why would you sue the company that provides parts to your own device? That's just stupid.

Im surprised Apple didn't do this sooner. Only thing that is retarded is the "Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology" How so? Every other part I can see a case being made as when I first saw the Galaxy Phone, I thought it was very similar to a iPhone.

Apple is suing over someone copying their "look and feel"?

The irony is palpable.

It's a thin box of sheet metal with a touch-screen in the middle.

How can you NOT infringe?

This is absurd.

Supposedly this is about the main application launcher (Touchwiz?) on the Samsung phone which is apparently very similar in appearance and layout. I'd still think it would take more than that to sue for something as serious as this.

I'm not finding anything that shoes GloFlo making A5s. The tear downs seem to show Samsung as the manufacturers. Also it seems Apple just switched their SSDs to Samsungs. I think this maybe in response to an increase in pricing from Samsung?

from article said:
Another aspect to these proceedings that shouldn't be overlooked is that, on the software front, they boil down to iOS versus Android (again). When Apple calls Samsung uninventive in its user interface, it's talking more about Android's perceived imitation of the iPhone's interface than whatever TouchWiz tweaks Samsung has slapped on top. And hey, if you're going to sue Google indirectly, you can't leave a major player like Samsung outside the courtroom, it just wouldn't be fair.

Another author with a vendetta against Apple. You can't tell me by the look of the images that Samsung did not outright copy Apple. Android's default interface is nothing like Apple's.

Anyone on this forum who disagrees need to go take another look at the images provided in the article.

There are a lot of phones made by HTC, long before the iPhone, that looks and feels like the iPhone. Albeit, running Windows Mobile.

Does Apple believe they created the smart phone? If anything, HTC could sue Apple for copying them. People gotta remember that the smart phone existed long before the iPhone.

Samsung needs to get that Judge from the Ghostbusters/Casper trial many years ago when the creators/copyright holders of Casper the Ghost sued the creators of Ghostbusters because of the "No ghosts" logo (white-sheet figure with the red circle/slash). The Casper people said the Ghostbusters folk had "stolen the look and feel of Casper's companions" meaning the other ghosts that hung out with Casper.

The Judge was wise enough to make a ruling that basically said "If I walked out on the street and asked people to describe what they thought a ghost would look like, 100 of them would most likely say something similar to 'a human figure covered by a sheet' and so he ruled in favor of the Ghostbusters creators>."

I mean, really, how many ways can one depict a "ghost" when the commonality of the concept is so widespread?

Same issue here: "tablet computer" means exactly what it means - a slate or tablet of a device with a display for information purposes that works primarily by human contact.

I mean, Apple...

Really?

Your link incorrectly goes to the site you're talking about instead of to the [H]ardOCP front page.

I'm with Steve on this.. doesn't anyone remember the gigantic Massengil vs Summer's Eve controversy? Oh right, y'all r young.

Another author with a vendetta against Apple. You can't tell me by the look of the images that Samsung did not outright copy Apple. Android's default interface is nothing like Apple's.

Anyone on this forum who disagrees need to go take another look at the images provided in the article.

It seems they were certainly trying to mimic Apple, but copying?

1. The Samsung phone has 3 buttons in the front, while the iPhones only have 1.
2. What they're showing you is the applications screen, and not the home screen. Otherwise, it looks like any other Android phone.
3. The battery is removable.

Even if they were similar enough to declare copying, this is going too far, even for Apple.

YAFL (Yet Another Frivolous Lawsuit) by crApple :( :mad: :rolleyes:

I like the comment one guy posted on the CNET article:
"If Steve Jobs was CEO of Ford, he would be suing GM for making cars with four wheels & a steering wheel." :D

everyone copies
we have been copying Japanese for years time for them to copy us
: )

Good artists copy; great artists steal.

This is a favorite phrase of Jobs, but he is (mis)quoting Pablo Picasso. "Lesser artists borrow; great artists steal" is similarly attributed to Igor Stravinsky, but both sayings may well originate in T. S. Eliot's dictum: "Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."

i was wondering when apple would sue.

first time i saw the samsung phones in my bestbuy flyer, i thought it was a blatant imitation.

but really, how many ways can you shape a rectangle?

So when is apple gonna sue HP for its G62/G72 laptops??...............

they've got the look and feel of macbooks.

images
images

but really, how many ways can you shape a rectangle?
There's an old saying that there's more than one way to skin a cat, though there are also only so many ways you can skin a cat. All phones have the same basic component layout, but if the specific design is an imitation of another company's product, it leaves you open to lawsuits...like this one.

Seems to me the theory that Apple's using this suit to gain leverage over Samsung is plausible, and that bothers me. You don't use the court systems to gain competitive advantage over another entity — you use it to try and resolve genuine legal issues as a last resort.

No they didn't. They paid Samsung $7.8 Billion to manufacture the A5 and a few other components back in Feb.

There's a big difference between the two phones ... the Samsung makes phone calls that don't drop. :)

Apple has been a pretty innovative company for well over a decade now so a lot of people are replicating their ideas, but at the same time there's not been an Apple product that's done well over that last decade that hadn't been done before. Touch screen smart phones had been around before the iPhone and Tablet PCs had been around a good 8 years before the iPad. Apple however was innovative on the hardware and software design. They are excelling but they aren't quite as hip and cool and high-tech as they portray themselves But I'm not really ragging them, I guess like any company they want to appear bigger and badder than they really are. For all of Apple success it has been in areas where the competition just got there too late. They never really have significantly changed Microsoft's dominance in overall x86 computer deployments through ARM is becoming a serious threat to x86 based machines these days

You can't say that Apple's IOS does not look like the old Windows 3.1 with its tiled icon arrangement? :p

Does this mean I can sue Angelina Jolie for looking like my wife?

id go with the samsung model anytime,lol, it may be similar but there really are distinct differences between the two "casings". I think Apple is just scared about Android,lol

Does Apple believe they created the smart phone?

No, but they certainly did TOTALLY reinvent the smartphone. When the original iPhone came out in 2007 they claimed that they were about 5 years ahead of any other smartphone, and they were most definitely right. Smartphones before the iPhone were just clunky digital black books. They were horrible at apps, writing email and it was impossible to get a real web experience. Android and winmo would be no where without the iPhone.

There's a big difference between the two phones ... the Samsung drops support after maybe giving you 1 update and expects you to swallow their load and their newer phone to get another update. :)

FTFY.

id go with the samsung model anytime,lol, it may be similar but there really are distinct differences between the two "casings". I think Apple is just scared about Android,lol

They would more likley go after android and not samsung if that were the case.

it's sad how everyeone is sueing eveyone now adays, apple is a joke company, a judge is going to rule in samsung favor.

If that's enough to sue for, then Apple better butter up to the feminine hygiene product designers.

Back