Apple Sues Samsung For Copying iPhone / iPad

God I hate Apple. Cant they just be happy making billions by selling underpowered, overpriced products to uneducated consumers?

Apple is suing over someone copying their "look and feel"?

The irony is palpable.

+1.

Anyone who knows the history of Apple knows that the Lisa, and subsequently the Mac GUI and mouse was lifted DIRECTLY from Xerox PARC after Jobs visited there in 1979.

No, but they certainly did TOTALLY reinvent the smartphone. When the original iPhone came out in 2007 they claimed that they were about 5 years ahead of any other smartphone, and they were most definitely right. Smartphones before the iPhone were just clunky digital black books. They were horrible at apps, writing email and it was impossible to get a real web experience. Android and winmo would be no where without the iPhone.
FTFY.
5 years ahead you say? That's funny, my old AT&T Tilt phone would disagree. I also know that WinMo is really old, like 10 years old. What Apple did was refine the smart phone, not reinvent it. Mostly, with software.

I've been using smart phones for many years before iPhone was even a rumor. I certainly had my dislikes with WinMo and Symbian.

1. WinMO wasn't designed with the touch screen in mind. Especially not with your finger.
2. No one was interested in writing apps for it. If they were, they never ever finished them.
3. Microsoft never thought there was a market for it, so they left it alone. WinMo 5.0 was around for a long time.

Then Apple appears with an appstore, and suddenly they're getting applications up the ass. The entire interface is focused around using your fingers. Everything was smooth and pretty, where WinMo was ugly and slow. For Joe Six Pack, the iPhone was amazing.

To diehard WinMO users, it wasn't an upgrade. We wanted SD cards, install applications from SD cards, and a verity of phones. That's where Android came in.

You can call iPhone and Android an evolution for smart phones, but Apple certainly didn't reinvent the smart phone. Nokia and Microsoft were bullshitting with Symbian and WinMO. BTW, that old AT&T TILT that I mentioned has a front facing camera. Wasn't that a new feature on the iPhone 4? So, iPhone 5 will get a SD card slot, and iPhone 6 will get a micro usb port?

lol, my preATT (Cingular edition) RAZR V3xx has a front facing video cam for video celly chat - on the last of the good RAZR V3 phones :(

Iphone 25 might let you store space on the flash.... Maybe......

Apple is never going to add an SD card slot or micro usb ports on any of their phones. If they did, they couldn't make the iPhone 5, which will be just like the iPhone 4, but with like...80 GB of storage.

That's the way they roll. 1st gen gets absolutely nothing but the bare minimum. That way they can keep coming out with new BS every summer.

Apple was granted "look and feel" (design) patents for at least some of the products in question. The lawsuit appears to have come pursuant to those patents, some of which are as recent as February 2011.

Apple has been granted a lot of patents. Even ones of products that have existed before. It's happened time and time again.

Latest one. Apple's patent for a projector integrated into a laptop. Just happened this year. Course, Asus kind of showed off an actually prototype at Computex 2008.

As much as I do not like apple. They kind of have a point ,it is basically an iphone 3g/s. no flash slightly same design. I don't expect them to win the case or anything but i do see where they are coming from.

I don't think Apple "reinvented" the smart phone, I think the Blackberry Pearl did. It brought smart phones down to a very reasonable price and kept the high end enterprise features all while including mainstream stuff like music, videos, apps, etc.

I do believe, however, that Apple DID pioneer the way that modern touch-based smartphones work - and they did a great job, too.

For the topic at hand - I think Samsung should have been smart enough to change up the look of their phone and app screens/menus. I mean if I didn't know any better I would have thought the pictures of the Samsung phone were pictures of an iPhone - hell, when I first went to the site with this story I thought for a little bit that the pictures of the Samsung phone were in fact iPhone. It took a little bit of staring at the pictures to figure it out. Dumb move on Samsungs part to make a device that looks so damn similar to the iPhone.

I am going to sue them all since I have the patent on a rectangle. So there.

I was rockin' this bad boy in like 2001 with Palm apps and other smartphone abilities. Hey wait a minute it's a smartphone with a touch screen, quit copying shit Apple I hope you get sued. I mean sure it wasn't fancy, but why would I need a fancy device? I'm not gay.

RlR74.jpg

iuSPP.jpg

Yes, that's literally a PDA with a phone module that slid into the top expansion slot. How awesome was that technology!

I love to bash apple as much as the next guy but the stupid UI Samsung uses now was so obviously designed to copy the iPhone its almost pathetic. The galaxy S 4g is an obvious copy too from the shape to the center button and slit style speaker.

I dont think its really grounds to sue but its painfully obvious what samsungs intentions where.

Ask yourself this, what about either the iphone or those samsung devices is NOT standard on most smartphones? If Apple has four icons across then everyone else must do 3 or 5? If they scroll sideways then all other smartphones must scroll vertically or diagonal? If their icons are square all other smartphones must have triangle or circular icons? What else, a flat rectangular object with rounded edges is already taken by Apple so everyone else go crazy with the shapes! The truth is, Apple is just afraid of competition, business as usual. Their product can't stand on its own and win on its own, it's losing to real innovation same as in the PC market. People don't like being locked in boxes. Unless they're dumb of course. :D

There are a lot of phones made by HTC, long before the iPhone, that looks and feels like the iPhone. Albeit, running Windows Mobile.

Does Apple believe they created the smart phone? If anything, HTC could sue Apple for copying them. People gotta remember that the smart phone existed long before the iPhone.

You can argue that the first real "smartphone" from apple was the 4. Anything before that was gimped compared to the competition.

I hope this is sarcasm, LMAO, because the japs have done nothing but copy since we rebuilt their country from the atomic bomb.

I don't even need to explain how much fail is in this post, it speaks for itself.

Steve has a magical way of combining two different subjects seamlessly together! (feminine hygiene products + tech lawsuit, too early in the morning to read that!)

I don't even need to explain how much fail is in this post, it speaks for itself.

So then are you saying that the Japanese did not spend over 20 years copying American technology? Or are you trying to contradict the fact that America spent millions on new tech factories for Japan after the war, helping them jump start their economy and soar ahead of many other nations?

Just want to see which FAIL you want to try to explain...

As for the "look and feel", I think it is pretty lame, but then again, Samsung should have known better. After all Apple has been making themselves famous for their lawsuits lately. I think they are just trying to keep up with all the lawsuits against them. Every time a new one is filed against them, I guess they need to find someone to file a suit against. Makes one wonder if they aren't including these extra features other companies seem to be able to incorporate because they are spending too much money in the legal department.

So then are you saying that the Japanese did not spend over 20 years copying American technology? Or are you trying to contradict the fact that America spent millions on new tech factories for Japan after the war, helping them jump start their economy and soar ahead of many other nations?

Just want to see which FAIL you want to try to explain...

Copying? No, I'd say they watched and learned and improved on it. Who wants to copy our cities?

http://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/spiritual/pictures/news.php?q=1254861706

I don't think Apple "reinvented" the smart phone, I think the Blackberry Pearl did. It brought smart phones down to a very reasonable price and kept the high end enterprise features all while including mainstream stuff like music, videos, apps, etc.

Palm and Handspring deserve more of the credit here than anything else. Hell, even Microsoft does. They had a touchscreen phone OS out before everyone else currently did.

Yes, that's literally a PDA with a phone module that slid into the top expansion slot. How awesome was that technology!

It was actually a very exciting time. I remember lusting after other brands of Palm based PDAs thinking "How wonderful it would be if they built a phone into that thing."

Everything that Apple is claiming that it revolutionized existed before. Some of it even in a better form than what they came out with. (Sorry, but user changeable batteries and flash cards always wins out over Apple's model, regardless of product.) I really do think people give Apple too much credit. Why is it that they get the attention for "turning the market around" with their product when it also happens to be right around the time (typically AFTER) similarly featured products come out from other manufacturers? Case in point, it may not have been pretty... but the Creative Nomad was about the same size as the first iPods AND the UI was nearly identical. (It was the basis for Creative's Lawsuit against Apple... which Apple settled instead of fighting in court, by the way)

The only thing that I can legitimately give Apple credit for... was introducing candy colors into the PC world at a time when we were holding onto dear life with beige. And now? PC cases come in at least 9 colors (6 of which are shades of black ;) and every PC Apple releases is in white... Which has even more problems than beige did when it comes to discoloration.

And now the nicest thing we can say about Apple is that they're more aggressive, domineering and monopolistic than Microsoft ever was... the little brother that just HAS to be a bigger pain in the ass than everyone else to remain noticed. So Apple is the little shithead brother grown up to be jockbro out on the town acting like a douchebag. Trixies in love with the type have stars in their eyes while the rest of us wonder why these future battered wives keep going after that when there's much better to see and do if you can go beyond superficial appeal.

Apple is *so* innovative that they stole the 'iPhone" name from Cisco. :rolleyes: Too bad Cisco wasn't as lawyered up as Apple and therefore couldn't defend its trademark. :(

Lol @ the people bringing up Japan. Samsung is a Korean company.
Japan is like S. Korea more than California is like New York. :p

Large city layout is about the only thing that Japan and S.Korea do similiar. Can't think of much else they do the same. Maybe...eat rice.

Course I lived in S.Korea for 2 years and Japan for 2 years. The hell do I know.

Apple is *so* innovative that they stole the 'iPhone" name from Cisco. :rolleyes: Too bad Cisco wasn't as lawyered up as Apple and therefore couldn't defend its trademark. :(

Maybe you should do your homework before talking about shit you have no clue about.

Cisco licensed the use of the iPhone trademark to Apple for an undisclosed sum.

Back