Apple student discount.

Grazehell

2[H]4U
Ok peeps could I walk into an Apple store show them my studen ID and get a discount or are those only available throught online purchases?
Hell has frozen over because I am interested in an ipod nano since I would most like not have the money to get a zune, provided it was hot a hot steaming pile.

I got my student discount in the store by just showing some papers indicating I was admitted (bought before getting my ID card) and they gave me the discount without incident. In general, I think if you look to be about student age and have ANY indication you're in school you get the discount.

Grazehell said:
Ok peeps could I walk into an Apple store show them my studen ID and get a discount or are those only available throught online purchases?
Hell has frozen over because I am interested in an ipod nano since I would most like not have the money to get a zune, provided it was hot a hot steaming pile.
I would order it online anyway, because you don't need any proof when you use the discount, and (in most states) you won't have to pay tax.

B. W. said:
I would order it online anyway, because you don't need any proof when you use the discount, and (in most states) you won't have to pay tax.

I had to pay tax online and in store when ordering my MacBook but at the time I would have had to pay shipping online as well, this way I walked out with my MacBook and paid less.

Having a Student ID and Driver's License isn't much to ask for is it? I carry those with me everywhere.

Walk in and just slap down your student card at the cashier. That's what I did ;)

I'm pretty sure you're charged tax online if theres an Apple store in your state. So you're pretty much screwed everywhere.

BoxDude said:
I'm pretty sure you're charged tax online if theres an Apple store in your state. So you're pretty much screwed everywhere.

B.W. is saying that he didnt have to pay any taxes......

unless he means didnt have to pay any taxes in the store....are there states that do that? sorry...im from NY and we pay taxes on tax

BoxDude said:
I don't think that's true, but I just realized Apple doesn't offer educational discounts on iPods anymore - so Grazehell would have to pay the retail price anyway.

BoxDude said:

Yes, even in little ole ohio ;)

Online, i didn't have to put in my student ID or anything. Just picked the school I goto and that was all.

Apple store at the Tysons Corner mall in Virginia don't do student discount. They were "discontinued" according to them.

no sales tax in Oregon, we don't have to pump our own gas either. :eek:

there are non-Apple online retail places here in Oregon, so you'd have to pay shipping but not sales tax. well, unless you found a place with free shipping too...

yep that was it....oregon is the lucky winner

free shipping / no tax (on apple.com)

luckily I have a family member that lives in OR :p

I've always paid taxes from Apple.com, even when we didn't have an Apple Store here in Utah. To answer the original question you should be able to just show them proof that you are a student (they like to have your number if possible).

B. W. said:
I don't think that's true, but I just realized Apple doesn't offer educational discounts on iPods anymore - so Grazehell would have to pay the retail price anyway.

I am just realising this!!!!!!! I thought the online store was broken or something! This angers me, but they are still at a great price.
Well guys I will most likely purchase this sometime at the end of the month, wish me luck with my itunes alternatives.

FYI, you will have to pay tax if there is a apple store in your state, I ordered a mac mini and I had to pay tax on it.

felix88 said:
no sales tax in Oregon, we don't have to pump our own gas either. :eek:
[ot]thats weak. the only r-tard pumping shit in my tank is me and me only
no slap-jawed, yokle mullet looking freak is comming near my tank.
i pump my own gas
i wash my own car
i do everything elso to my car [/ot]

i figured that their would be more checks online to prove your a student. just clicking on a school in the list seems to easy for fraud

No sales tax in Delaware either.

But I walked into my "local" (45 minutes drive) Apple store in NJ and walked out with MacBook, iPod Nano and Printer all on student discount in August. I only had to show them my student id.

Mistrblank said:
No sales tax in Delaware either.

But I walked into my "local" (45 minutes drive) Apple store in NJ and walked out with MacBook, iPod Nano and Printer all on student discount in August. I only had to show them my student id.

ditto, bought mine from the DE apple store so no tax either :D .

u8myrice said:
Apple store at the Tysons Corner mall in Virginia don't do student discount. They were "discontinued" according to them.

Well that's a lie and I'm sure Apple would like to hear a complaint about that... geez that's sad.

Back