Apple Store Worker Says Customers Are Awful

HardOCP News

[H] News
Low pay, long hours and routine death threats? It's just another day working at an Apple store. I've heard from various former employees how bad it is to work at an Apple store but this seems a bit extreme. Death threats over iProducts? Damn.

Q: So you’re being paid £7 an hour, and a customer comes in looking for, say, a cable, and you’ve upsold them into a sale over £100,000. And there was no bonus or recognition for this whatsoever?

A: We got recognition — it’s a story that’s told throughout quite a few retail stores. [The salesperson] got a handshake for it [laughs].

Read that BI interview last week , honestly cant understand why anyone would like to work for Apple Store (they not even real Apple employees) , and Apple in general sound like a crazy place to work in, truly a crazy cult that own a multi-billion company.

When I worked retail in a mall I'd get threats from people that weren't even customers. They'd call and make up some story about whatever and say they are going to meet me in the parking lot when I get off work.

Oh cry me a river.

Do your job, get paid, go home. If you don't like it, find another job.

In a pseudo-capitalist system, one get's to choose where they work. The Bolsheviks haven't taken over the western world yet (though they are close).

I've had a few dealings at the Apple Store in Columbia, MD, and have an uncle and good friend who have worked in the stores. This all rings sadly true.

And I'm not normally one for the whole 'if you dont like your job, find another one' argument, but at these wages I'm pretty sure there's quite a few other options in areas that are nice enough to have an Apple store in the first place (even jobs in the same mall!)

When I worked retail in a mall I'd get threats from people that weren't even customers. They'd call and make up some story about whatever and say they are going to meet me in the parking lot when I get off work.
Weird... When I worked at Software Etc. the worst I got was some stoner kids that didn't understand why we didn't sell Nirvana CDs since they were CDs and games came on CDs. Apparently all CDs are the same.

Oh cry me a river.

In a pseudo-capitalist system, one get's to choose where they work. The Bolsheviks haven't taken over the western world yet (though they are close).
What's your work number? Can I call you with death threats?

What's your work number? Can I call you with death threats?

You could, but I work for the Bolsheviks, so it would probably prompt a visit to your door.

I choose your job.

It wasn't hard. Joined the military, worked my hardest, and now I work with the military. Unless you are the recipient of a shitty childhood and upbringing (not to mention debilitating disease), our first world problems are just that, first world problems. The disabled child that is treated like a pariah in some tribe in Africa has it much worse that anyone working in an Apple Store.

Get a grip.

I tried reading this article the other day. It was really an awful interview. Interviewer with a clear agenda beating every point to a nauseating death with leading questions while still being unable to extract any information that makes Apple sound different from any other retail store.

Meh. I worked retail for IBM for years, same stuff happened. Try being a bouncer in a country bar. Far more death threats, but the difference was people actually tried to follow through with the threats. It was then that I learned that I have a very thick skull and jaw that shatters the fists that punch it lol. Weren't supposed to fight back, so I only did that for a couple years.

Apple is just another slave-based company. Let the minimum wage peeps do all the work so the fat cats can make bank. Fuck Apple and anyone who pays minimum wage to their workforce. Greed needs to be illegal. Period.

Meh. I worked retail for IBM for years, same stuff happened. Try being a bouncer in a country bar. Far more death threats, but the difference was people actually tried to follow through with the threats. It was then that I learned that I have a very thick skull and jaw that shatters the fists that punch it lol. Weren't supposed to fight back, so I only did that for a couple years.
And what exactly did you expect from inbred rednecks? Civility? Understanding? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Trumpers are the best /s

And what exactly did you expect from inbred rednecks? Civility? Understanding? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Trumpers are the best /s

As someone who lives in the South, there are surprisnlgy few Trump voters here. Maybe it's just my town specifically, but I've seen more and more blue pop up, and the reds I have seen don't like Trump. I only know a small handful that like him.

Also, the Southerners are a lot nicer than many people up north. Living here and living in Illinois and Wisconsin, I'd take here any day just for the people.

I thought this was common knowledge. The Apple Store is a terrible place to work, that's why all their employees and young and stupid, you don't work there long-term.

There is lots of female power roles now. No need to convert James Bond.

Here is my vote

cb63988a50a9a033711811532215c64c.jpg

Sounds exaggerated but about right. I work in a wireless retailer and 90% of what we deal with is people coming in and asking for things that just are not doable. they don't understand why and just get angry at us. Like taking a Rogers phone and unlocking it to run on Verizon or bypassing an iPhone locked by Apple ID on factory reset and the phone is saying it's been stolen. And there is no recognition whether we sell a phone or 10 phones on post paid, no one really cares . But it's a living...

A co-worker of mine worked at an Apple store in the US for about 3 years. He said some of the article is true, but a lot is exagerated. He never had death threats but did get pissed off people when you won't fix their broken laptop for free (even though a lot of times it was clearly broken, abused, etc).
His store (would assume all?) had some type of leaderboard for sales. He received bonuses if you kept your sales above a certain level.
He said he made more than minimum wage, but not much.
He also said it was a very demanding, stressful job. I've been to a few Apple stores - I found it stressful as a customer. Can't imagine working there all day long. (I worked retail many years ago - it was not a fun job. I had to clean up poop once as some guy crapped his pants in our store, but honestly, that wasn't as bad as working the cash register on a busy day :) )

Honestly any customer facing job is pretty lame. Though I imagine it gets worse when your employer labels you 'Geniuses'.

Sounds like the typical retail job experience. I'm not sure why one would expect different.

It wasn't hard. Joined the military, worked my hardest, and now I work with the military. Unless you are the recipient of a shitty childhood and upbringing (not to mention debilitating disease), our first world problems are just that, first world problems. The disabled child that is treated like a pariah in some tribe in Africa has it much worse that anyone working in an Apple Store.
Get a grip.

I actually have a minor physical disability due to a birth defect that kept me from being able to join the military. Would have liked to have gone Air Force. I can only walk and stand relatively normally thanks to some surgery when I was child, but I can't do either for 40/hr week and I can't run - esp. over uneven surfaces. But I'm not "disabled." As far as the government and our society is concerned I can still do sedentary work.

Everybody has a story, and not everybody has a choice.

You could, but I work for the Bolsheviks, so it would probably prompt a visit to your door.

Get a grip.
As much as I agree with your first world problem thing, and this in particular... that whole disabled child in some tribe whatever is kind of a stupid thing to bring up, I'm sure someone somewhere in the world can make that disabled child in those tribes look like a king, and call his problem first world problem.... if he could talk, like a prom night dumpster baby or something.

I thought this was common knowledge. The Apple Store is a terrible place to work, that's why all their employees and young and stupid, you don't work there long-term.

So... you are describing basically any retail job or fast food job. But let's make sure to make this hyper-specific to Apple like all the other threads on [H] :meh:

Is anybody shocked?

"Next up: Water is wet!"
That was going to be my point. Retail work sucks. Anyone who has ever done it will tell you the same thing. Surprise, surprise, the company you work for will reap the fruits of your labor while you still get paid the same paltry sum you always have. In other news, the Sun will rise at the same time it always has tomorrow morning.

I own my own retail business and structure is important for employees but this article shows that apple is ridiculous. Dealing with retail customers is tough enough that employees shouldn't feel they're getting threatened from both sides. If a customer starts screaming at one of my people and I'm on the showroom floor, I will ask them to calm down or leave. If they don't leave I have the local police on speed dial.

Oh cry me a river.

I read the interview last week. That individual really didn't seem to be crying and it even seemed the interviewer was trying to push him/her to take an adversarial role against their employer in the some of the questions.
I tried reading this article the other day. It was really an awful interview. Interviewer with a clear agenda beating every point to a nauseating death with leading questions while still being unable to extract any information that makes Apple sound different from any other retail store.
Yea, it seemed as though the interviewer wasn't getting the expected results.

Get a grip.
Kind of funny how you talk about bolsheviks and 'pseudo-capitalism' but you work for the US military. Seems somewhat incongruent. To each their own.

I would rather not have the US version of the Bolsheviks knock on my door :D.

Anyways, we should probably be discussing the job woes of the 48% with Mitt Romney first, since he is the Subject Matter Expert on this.

I thought I was the only one with a brutally hard head. I was a military kid and we moved a lot in the 60's and 70's when boys were allowed to act like boys so I was in fights weekly. If somebody hit me in the head I would smile and taunt them: "did you hurt your hand?... I later boxed golden gloves and was a kickboxer in the 80's.

Funny how the more schools have become intolerant of boys fighting the more bullying becomes a problem...

Weird... When I worked at Software Etc. the worst I got was some stoner kids that didn't understand why we didn't sell Nirvana CDs since they were CDs and games came on CDs. Apparently all CDs are the same.

heh, this was when I worked at Babbage's.

Back