Apple Special Event September 5th, New iPods!?

ampedxc27

[H]ard|Gawd
So, Apple just sent out invitations for a special event on September 5th. The background is cover flow and says "The beat must go on" so it's got to be some new iPods. Speculation? Rumors? Comments? Go for it :cool:

TOUCH SCREEN IPOD. WIDESCREEN.

I swear to god, if these don't come out, I'm throwing *all* my apple equipment off my 20th floor balcony :mad:.

*I'm lying*

So, Apple just sent out invitations for a special event on September 5th. The background is cover flow and says "The beat must go on" so it's got to be some new iPods. Speculation? Rumors? Comments? Go for it :cool:

My Wish

Widescreen touchscreen ipods with wifi and bluetooth, slim, sexy, with great battery life, and the ability to web browse on these new ipods with wifi, the bluetooth for bluetooth headphones ad speakers. O and a 160GB HD!!

i know what yall are thinking.....its the freaking iPhone without the phone! yea and it also has a 160GB HD!

TOUCH SCREEN IPOD. WIDESCREEN.

I swear to god, if these don't come out, I'm throwing *all* my apple equipment off my 20th floor balcony :mad:.

*I'm lying*

LOL i was about to say where do u live so i can put my matress below and catch all ur equpiment but good thing ur lying...

1. New iPod leather cases, now with colors
2. New iPod HiFi duvay cover
3. Line of liquid poymer based iPod cleaners
4. iPhone sock cases

Am I the only one seeing the light? The freaking invite is album art of some one holding an iPod in Coverflow. iPod with an iPhone-like interface. :D

Am I the only one seeing the light? The freaking invite is album art of some one holding an iPod in Coverflow. iPod with an iPhone-like interface. :D

...or you might be the one who is being a Captain Obvious.

Beh......

Apple has nothing of interest to me announcement-wise until they update the friggin' Mac Pro.

the new ipod had better not be the one that got leaked a couple days ago..

seriously

it's about time that we get a touchscreen ipod..

but i bet my $65 that it won't be the case.. sigh..

I can confirm that this will launch a new ipod. I think everyone knows already, but it's nice to have official confirmation, no?

At Target, the Ipods are being moved into the category of items that will be replaced soon, and there've been messages going around about a new, high theft item coming to electronics on Wednesday, which isn't when new releases normally come out, and it isn't when BluRay players will start being sold (those are coming later). I'm kinda guessing iPod...

Thanks Steve.

Not quite, but a family member is just below ;) Personally I hate Apple products. Ironic, no?

Don't believe me, just a couple of more days until you look like a fool. I don't particularly care either way though. NDA's a bitch.

just saying....but what if there wasnt any new ipods?

What if apple just invited all the press and they all had theyre cameras ready and then Steve Jobs comes out and says.....*drumroll* NO MORE IPODS EVER!!!! BUY A FREAKING ZUNE THEY ARE AWESOME AS ME!!!!

Not quite, but a family member is just below ;) Personally I hate Apple products. Ironic, no?

Do me a favor. Tell that family member to tell the people responsible for the Mac Pro to update the goddamn thing with video cards from THIS YEAR.

Thanks! :D

I would, but I doubt he could do anything as his job is specifically the ipod division. I already told him a million times to add an optical out on the ipods and a damn removable battery on the iphone, but all I get is this "At Apple, we do things for a reason. It's sleek and it's a business decision to have no removable battery." and that kind of crap. I'm telling you, the entire company is brainwashed. I've never seen anything like it.

Actually, there's a bit of method to that madness. Obviously, it has a sales advantage, but it also improves the structural quality slightly (don't need to weaken the shell with seams) and lets them fit more into the case. Ever notice how a Creative Zen Micro is seemingly twice as thick as an iPod mini (which in turn was thicker than an iPod nano)? You can likely chalk that up to the removable battery.

As for the upcoming event, here's what I'd expect:

2GB iPod shuffle (including a (Product) RED model)

4GB/8GB/16GB iPod nano replacement (the "fatboy" from the leaked shot)

60GB/120GB large-screen iPod

I'm not sure if there will be a touchscreen on the full-size iPod, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Actually, there's a bit of method to that madness. Obviously, it has a sales advantage, but it also improves the structural quality slightly (don't need to weaken the shell with seams) and lets them fit more into the case. Ever notice how a Creative Zen Micro is seemingly twice as thick as an iPod mini (which in turn was thicker than an iPod nano)? You can likely chalk that up to the removable battery.

Well my Motorola Q with it's extended battery is just as slim as the iphone. If I had the normal battery there would be room for a hard drive, dimensionally speaking.

Well my Motorola Q with it's extended battery is just as slim as the iphone. If I had the normal battery there would be room for a hard drive, dimensionally speaking.

How long does your Q last on the extended battery, though? Apple claims 8 hours of continuous phone time, and tests I've read suggested that was closer to a real-world figure. Not bad when it has as much as 8GB of storage.

Steve Jobs will get on stage and speak five simple words:

"It's got a new hat.".

:D

Event's going on right now. A ringtone feature has just been announced, which will cost an additional $.99 (you have to buy the song off the iTunes store).

You can look at this two ways: Apple only has a license to sell music on the store, so it would be $2.00 for a ringtone. It's an OK deal if you already own the song though.

Edit (from Engadget): "..today we're going to refresh or replace EVERY single product in this lineup to get ready for this holiday season." I'm giggling like a prepubescent school girl.

Edit: New PRODUCT(RED) shuffle. The new nano is the infamous "fatty" we've seen before.

Well, is it typical for new iPods to be available at retail same-day?

Well, is it typical for new iPods to be available at retail same-day?
In the past it was, but I believe the 5th generation was available a few weeks later.

Edit: "These new nanos have left our factories, they've shipped and will be in our stores by this weekend."

alexheinz, I agree. In my opinion, The GUI (at least the main screen) looks horrible too.

cover flow = gimmick. It's an inefficient way for browsing your music. In fact leopard looks like a giant gimick too. 200 new features yet they showed the same 8 boring features they showed last year.
I think Tiger sucked out the last great innovations that apple had(I really like tiger).

If there isn't a new design for the iPod besides the iPod Classic, they really dropped the ball. Except since it is the iPod Classic, that would be perfect for the iPod, whereas the new iPod would be touch and the iPod Classic would be a deviation.

edit: k nvm, iPod touch looks like the iPhone lol. if it has wifi im ordering

Back