Apple Sold More iPads Than Macs

Guess we aren't gonna be seeing 7" ipads anytime soon. Atleast until jobs makes another statement that completely contradicts it (Which isn't gonna be the first time)

Yeah, this is a bit curious as 7" devices are at the limits in size of devices that are pocketable. There were reports of Apple testing a 7" iPad. Intresting but I have little doubt that there will be iPads smaller than current ones someday.

Duh. Apple is a Shiny Gadget Company, they just don't want to acknowledge it. Few people give a shit about their OS. Most people who buy a Mac laptop (and that is by far what they sell the most of) do so because again, it is a shiny gadget. They are very good at making shiny gadgets that the masses think are cool to own.

Well the cheaper said gadget, the more people that will buy it. A Mac laptop is still a lot of money. An iPad, much cheaper. Also the iPad the the only real tablet around (there are tablet PCs but they are more like convertible laptops than anything).

Apple isn't a computer company and hasn't been for some time. They are a consumer electronics company. Their computer are just a side business. They just don't want to admit that fact.

I seriously doubt that most people around here look at their notebooks as toys, I know I don't. In reality my sig rig is more of toy than my tm2.;)

:p

i always get told me and my toys (almost all the stuff i buy is tech stuff, tm2t being the latest ;)).

oh well i think people are just hating :)

Duh. Apple is a Shiny Gadget Company, they just don't want to acknowledge it. Few people give a shit about their OS. Most people who buy a Mac laptop (and that is by far what they sell the most of) do so because again, it is a shiny gadget. They are very good at making shiny gadgets that the masses think are cool to own.

Well the cheaper said gadget, the more people that will buy it. A Mac laptop is still a lot of money. An iPad, much cheaper. Also the iPad the the only real tablet around (there are tablet PCs but they are more like convertible laptops than anything).

Apple isn't a computer company and hasn't been for some time. They are a consumer electronics company. Their computer are just a side business. They just don't want to admit that fact.
I've finally come to realize that this is exactly the case. Im not a huge fan of the company and their practices, but you cant deny their success. I used to be a "hater" on many of their devices, citing that they are basically just expensive, very fancy, very cool toys and are joke compared to PC's for getting work done. Well... that IS EXACTLY what they are, and people LIKE toys. If apple would be more upfront about this fact, and if people could accept it, I suspect there would be a huge decline in the apple vs PC arguments between haters/fan bois etc.

Well, the people buying two or more iPads so they can multitask must help the numbers too :p

I've finally come to realize that this is exactly the case. Im not a huge fan of the company and their practices, but you cant deny their success. I used to be a "hater" on many of their devices, citing that they are basically just expensive, very fancy, very cool toys and are joke compared to PC's for getting work done. Well... that IS EXACTLY what they are, and people LIKE toys. If apple would be more upfront about this fact, and if people could accept it, I suspect there would be a huge decline in the apple vs PC arguments between haters/fan bois etc.

One the Android side. China slates have been saturating the market for a while now and the branded slates are almost out the door. The android slates come in a ton of configurations (including ability to add more functionality) and pricepoints, looks like a stage for another Apple vs PC/Android war.

I own an iPad (wife bought it for me) and I love it. Its always on the ready and the battery lasts ages. 90% of my computing is pretty light (the other being 3d graphics which is tough on a notebook). The form factor is excellent, and thats what I love about it. It could just as easily been Android based for my needs. I also look forward to seeing what Notion Ink brings to the table(t).

i can honestly say if someone gave me a ipad for free, it will probably be collecting dust. I simply do not have a need for it. It seems to be stuck between a laptop and smart phone. It cannot effectively replace either nor does it introduce any new functionality.

Look, I don't want to anger the flame war gods here but I don't think there is really anything amazing in this story. and as much as the next guy at [H] I've got my opinions on the shiny white and silver things but they're really irrelevant to the point of this post.

no matter how you feel about ipads/ macs/ apple in general its probably safe to say that many (most?) people that bought an ipad this year already have a mac current enough for their tastes, so they spent their money buying a new accessory that can happily co-exist with their existing Apple ecosystem. These are the Apple first adopters, and will likely happily buy the next big thing that Apple makes

if these numbers hold for a couple years, then it would indicate that that Ipad has cannibalized Mac sales for real, and that's up to Jobs and Co. do decide what it wants to do about it. the ipad's functionality niche certainly overlaps some with mac's, netbooks, tablets and smaller devices and will definitely affect those other device's futures, but I think its just a little premature to make judgments on how much that will be after just one year.

Back