Apple Sold 10M iPhones In First Weekend

Ahh, I love coming to [H] to read Apple news.

Everyone's identity is tied to their phones/computers.

"look its 10% thinner"

Dude make it 10% thicker than the last one and give me 20-30 hours screen on time. Im going to put this $600 ishinny in a thick ass case anyway.

These numbers mean nothing. The real numbers you should be looking at are year over year growth of new versus existing customers. Companies always find somewhat swarmy ways to adjust the numbers to make it look like everyone is getting the latest and greatest. Artificial supply constraints on the most profit driven models is also common. This creates what's known in the sales business as "hype" which promotes sales.

These numbers mean nothing. The real numbers you should be looking at are year over year growth of new versus existing customers. Companies always find somewhat swarmy ways to adjust the numbers to make it look like everyone is getting the latest and greatest. Artificial supply constraints on the most profit driven models is also common. This creates what's known in the sales business as "hype" which promotes sales.

Sales numbers can be very important to investors and consumers looking for a well supported device:

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/number-amazon-fire-phones-still-use-one-month-estimated-35000/

I would maybe get a iPhone now that they are big enough but then the Nexus phones are half the price and in many aspects better. I will be waiting for the Nexus 6, 349 dollars off contract and from the romours it will be the best phone on the market.

I would maybe get a iPhone now that they are big enough but then the Nexus phones are half the price and in many aspects better. I will be waiting for the Nexus 6, 349 dollars off contract and from the romours it will be the best phone on the market.
unpossible since there is no sdcard slot :eek:

Thing I have noticed over the years which Apple users complain the most about, is the updates. They are all good the first time or so, praised - there isn't much they complain about usually!

While updates keep it regular, all good and dandy, it has another side effect. After approx three years, it means the phone has often slowed to a crawl in a few key apps.
Hence the regular upgrades to a new hardware platform.

2c

The last few iphones have not been able to do one simple task that I need all the time:

Can I plug it into my pc (or whatever), then upload pics and movies to it to view and share? Is that really so hard or too much to ask?

The last few iphones have not been able to do one simple task that I need all the time:

Can I plug it into my pc (or whatever), then upload pics and movies to it to view and share? Is that really so hard or too much to ask?
why are android users so stuck in freaking cables?

you guys are like years behind the times yet think a silly infographic about nonsense talking about phones circa 2012 is insightful...yet main complaint in this thread is media management and how you guys can't seem to figure out how to get your stuff on/off your phones LMFAO

How could you not do this on a iPhone? I can connect any of three iPhones to my PC and easily copy pics off them without opening iTunes. The phones show right up in Windows Explorer.

How could you not do this on a iPhone? I can connect any of three iPhones to my PC and easily copy pics off them without opening iTunes. The phones show right up in Windows Explorer.
sometimes I think some people haven't ever actually used an iPhone and simply regurgitate what they read around here...and then other times I wonder if maybe they are thinking back to some early period in iPhone history. But then I wonder if people make claims as ridiculous as the one you're quoting despite all evidence to the contrary what makes me think they weren't doing that back in the first iPhone days? I mean, I didn't use one back then so I don't know but now I'm skeptical it was ever even a problem. :confused:

sometimes I think some people haven't ever actually used an iPhone and simply regurgitate what they read around here...and then other times I wonder if maybe they are thinking back to some early period in iPhone history. But then I wonder if people make claims as ridiculous as the one you're quoting despite all evidence to the contrary what makes me think they weren't doing that back in the first iPhone days? I mean, I didn't use one back then so I don't know but now I'm skeptical it was ever even a problem. :confused:

I have no idea if copying pictures ever required jumping through hoops or people are just slow in the head. It has always been easy since I got an iPhone 5 near launch. Just to be sure, I just tried again with my new 6 and it shows right up in Windows Explorer with zero shenanigans. I can just click on "Oce's iPhone" -> "Internal Storage" -> "DCIM" -> BAM all the pics and videos are right there. I believe Windows will prompt the user to copy photos as well, however I have all those prompts disabled.

If anyone can't figure out how to get pics off an Apple device, they need one of those older person phones with huge buttons on it.

Thats great for you, but you didnt read my post. I said upload. You can copy and delete this way but not upload.

A work around many people (like me) use is to use dropbox, but its kind of a pita, not to mention that wifi doesnt work 1/2 the time on my iphone. Also about 90% of the videos I send to an iphone (other than ones taken with an iphone) will not play.

Thats great for you, but you didnt read my post. I said upload. You can copy and delete this way but not upload.

A work around many people (like me) use is to use dropbox, but its kind of a pita, not to mention that wifi doesnt work 1/2 the time on my iphone. Also about 90% of the videos I send to an iphone (other than ones taken with an iphone) will not play.
where are these videos from? are you talking about mkv's that you downloaded from some unknown source? I'm not judging, but if android users' main argument is that it's more difficult to pirate on an iOS than android device, that's not going to generate a whole lot of sympathy

you can drag and drop, FYI

dropbox, iCloud sync, OneDrive, etc. etc. pick your poison

where are these videos from? are you talking about mkv's that you downloaded from some unknown source? I'm not judging, but if android users' main argument is that it's more difficult to pirate on an iOS than android device, that's not going to generate a whole lot of sympathy

Yea I dont think people know you can drag and drop. Most people either never had the iPhone or havent used it in 3 or 4 years and dont know WTF they are talking about at all. If someone could come up with a realistic day to day usage problem for both iOS and Android I will be amazed because there pretty much aren't any on both. Both now have similar sizes and hardware to choose from, both OSes have near identical features and app ecosystems. One is closed one is not so much.

xvids of my own encodes of my own movies, old videos from my old andriod phone and canon camera. Some .3gp I think some even mpg2 files, shrug I dont remember I gave up using my iphone for shared videos.

I dunno, suppose I am a total retard and I am doing it wrong. But thats kind of my point. Isnt an apple product supposed to be simple to use and 'just work"? Seems that over the years media management/sharing on every android device I have owned is meat and potatoes SIMPLE. I have never had a simple time with apple media storage and yes, Im one of those people that DOES resist itunes kicking and screaming.

Its too bad because iphones are so nice for the most part.

In my case, it is the large number of TV shows that I have recorded and encoded to mkv over the years. For example, the last 6 seasons of Supernatural (just haven't had time to watch them). Sure... I could encode to .mp4 going forward, but in the past I used .mkv containers and I don't want to have to go re-encoding them or anything.

And yes... at 1.2-1.5GB per video I know I can't put many on a 16GB model, but the idea of uploading them somewhere to download them again seems retarded. Not to mention most places like Dropbox, Box, etc. have a file size limit.

All I really care about is cross-platform support. Heck, before my GS3 I had an iPhone 3GS and that was when I gave up encoding with mp4 because I could never get a reliable encode setting, and most of my time to watch shows was either travelling (when I took a SageTV extender with me) or at home (where I have a whole home setup centered around SageTV). In those cases, I just found that my mkv encodes were more reliable. Heck, I've still got some of the old mp4 encodes that I can't even transfer to my ipad because the dimensions or something are just slightly off with the encode.. but they play fine on SageTV or even on my GS3.

Good on Android to make it easier for people to watch those six year old torrent downloads they aren't watching anyway.

And why would anyone choose to encode their own videos in MKV? That is just going out of your way to select a less support container format for media.

besides the fact that there are about umpteen ways to watch mkv files on an iPhone.

*looks around* I thought this was a tech site :eek:

Good on Android to make it easier for people to watch those six year old torrent downloads they aren't watching anyway.

And why would anyone choose to encode their own videos in MKV? That is just going out of your way to select a less support container format for media.

I know, having a choice is bad right!

I know, having a choice is bad right!

Apparently when it comes to Apple... yes it is :rolleyes:

This is the thing that bothers me with all the "Oh Steve... another link to an article bashing Apple???" I came in here saying I was most likely moving to Apple, I give them credit for being more corporate-aligned and I've always giving them credit for things like battery life, performance compared to their white-paper specs, etc. However, because of one area (media management) where I personally think they could improve on (hey, there is always room for improvement in everything), it brings out the "why would you want to use MKV? Android is a focus for pirates! Blah blah blah"

I've got a work iPad2 with only 16GB of memory and I drop on occasional video on it using AirVideoHD. It works for the most part, but sometimes the video gets corrupted during the encoding so I have to delete it and start over. If I'm at home, I just stream to it using AirVideo and never have an issue.

As for why use MKV, like I mentioned it was something I got used to back during my iPhone 3GS days. Just couldn't get a reliable encode using MP4, plus since the screen was so small it really wasn't worth it at the time so I got used to using MKV. At the time MKV supported subtitles, chapters, etc. better IMO, and since the majority of my video watching was done on a big screen via extenders or on a laptop (and now Roku's)... it made more sense. When you get a process down and are used to it, you don't generally like to change it unless there is a compelling reason. Just look at all the Windows 8 hate for an example of that ;)

Again, things change. As of about a year ago, PLEX only supported DTS direct play via MKV containers, and not MP4. Has this changed since then... I don't know because once I get a process down it doesn't make sense to go back and keep changing it until necessary... like now if I move to the new iPhone6 or 6+.

That's the main reason why I sold my iphone 4s and got a Moto G! When I plug it into my PC I can transfer photos, videos and music within seconds, the PC sees the phone as an external harddrive. I could never figure out how to put photos or movies on the iphone. Not to mention my phone bill went from $80 a month to $10 a month (granted I can only surf the internet on wifi but I have wifi at home and at work). :D

Apparently when it comes to Apple... yes it is :rolleyes:

This is the thing that bothers me with all the "Oh Steve... another link to an article bashing Apple???" I came in here saying I was most likely moving to Apple, I give them credit for being more corporate-aligned and I've always giving them credit for things like battery life, performance compared to their white-paper specs, etc. However, because of one area (media management) where I personally think they could improve on (hey, there is always room for improvement in everything), it brings out the "why would you want to use MKV? Android is a focus for pirates! Blah blah blah"

I've got a work iPad2 with only 16GB of memory and I drop on occasional video on it using AirVideoHD. It works for the most part, but sometimes the video gets corrupted during the encoding so I have to delete it and start over. If I'm at home, I just stream to it using AirVideo and never have an issue.

As for why use MKV, like I mentioned it was something I got used to back during my iPhone 3GS days. Just couldn't get a reliable encode using MP4, plus since the screen was so small it really wasn't worth it at the time so I got used to using MKV. At the time MKV supported subtitles, chapters, etc. better IMO, and since the majority of my video watching was done on a big screen via extenders or on a laptop (and now Roku's)... it made more sense. When you get a process down and are used to it, you don't generally like to change it unless there is a compelling reason. Just look at all the Windows 8 hate for an example of that ;)

Again, things change. As of about a year ago, PLEX only supported DTS direct play via MKV containers, and not MP4. Has this changed since then... I don't know because once I get a process down it doesn't make sense to go back and keep changing it until necessary... like now if I move to the new iPhone6 or 6+.
what's your point of all this rambling?
you can use mkv on an iPhone as I already pointed out.

some of us were just curious about the source of the files...clearly you aren't encoding them yourself if you're downloading them. I don't have any sympathy for you if you are having trouble watching pirated content. For pcjunkie and yourself to turn that around into an argument "against choice" is not only bizarre but also indicative of your mindset that it's ok to pirate despite you claiming otherwise. So no, I don't have any sympathy for you.

Back