Apple Signs Deal With Volkswagen for Driverless Cars

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Montu, May 24, 2018.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

According to the New York Times, Apple has finally found a partner to build driverless cars for them. Sources say that BMW and Mercedes-Benz had previously turned them down because Apple wanted the carmakers to turn over control of the data and design. However, they are moving on to Plan C and will work with Volkswagen instead. The vehicle used will be the new T6 Transporter van and they will become autonomous shuttles for Apple employees. Apple isn't commenting on this, which is no surprise, so we'll have to just wait and see if these vans appear on the roads.

Late last year, Apple found that partner in Volkswagen. Buffeted by a scandal around cheating emissions tests — and lagging some rivals in development of self-driving cars — Volkswagen jumped at the chance to work with Apple, former Apple employees said. Volkswagen’s code-name at Apple is Jetstream, one of them said.

2. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Volkswagen fanbois are just like apples.... perfect pair

Darunion and Montu like this.
  3. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

And the fanbois will laud it as the best thing EVAR! Who would have thought to put 4 wheels on a box with a motor and carry people around! Apple for teh WIN!

4. MrValentine

MrValentine [H]ard|Gawd

Wonder if Apple can help them hide their emissions cheating better? At the very least it will be good to have the Apple brand take some of the blame on any future scandals, especially if those scandals are cars running people down.

Now that I think about it. Apple could put some code into the system so that the navigation cameras recognizes being inside a garage, and runs with a cleaner burning fuel/timing map.

5. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

No sir, it means the wheel will then be invented.

BSmith likes this.
  6. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

ok, this is a bit of a head scratcher.. Apple has always been about aesthetics, but now they are partnering to build a VAN ? probably the least sexy vehicle on the planet.. besides a station wagon

kinda confused here

7. KarVi71

KarVi71 n00bie

I don't know if it also exists in the english languages, but in my language we have a saying that translates into something like:

"A Crow finds its mate".

Meaning something along the line that one shady figure finds another, and partners up with it.

I think it is appropiate here :)

8. MR._PUNKINHEAD

MR._PUNKINHEAD Limp Gawd

So if a driver is needed, is there only one glass pedal?

9. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

How i read it was its vans to move employee around.. but instead of asking for proposals, since apple the car company knows better, they wanted to do more and control more aspects of the process.

10. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd