Apple Sees Tablets Soon Outpacing PCs

But that's the beauty of Windows tablets and why I think Windows 8 will do well. They can be used in a number of different ways and in a number of different environments. You won't need a tablet AND a PC, one device can serve both purposes and be a main computer without giving up much. Currently with the EP121 you do sacrifice the long battery life of the iPad but hopefully Windows 8 and new Intel chips will improve upon that.

Maybe I'll be wrong but I just simply don't ever see this day coming. Maybe tablets will be able to serve as a main computer for some people but unless they can do the exact same tasks at the exact same speeds that the PC can, a tablet will never replace my desktop.

A touch based PC in a monitor with a keyboard attached is no different than a tablet with a keyboard. Powerful PCs will become a niche for us enthusiasts. Processing and storage is going to the cloud. With VDI solutions or simply RDP businesses should be looking to ditch PCs. Data will be safer and IT costs will drop off dramatically.

I remember when HardOCP said how crazy twitter was and now they have an account. One thing we shouldnt be doing is drawing lines in the sand.

maybe, but I doubt I'll be one of the people helping it happen. If I'm out and about I don't want to carry a tablet with me. If I'm anywhere else I have access to a PC or laptop. If anything I'd just get one of the newer larger smartphones. Big enough to do most of what a tablet can do, but small enough to fit in my pocket. Plus I already carry my phone everywhere. It's just getting a little long in the tooth.

plus you can get them with a built in KEYBOARD; which actually makes them much more useful.

I tend to think tablets are just an intermediate step until we develop good foldable/flexible/expandable screens. Then we're going back to the pocketable smart-phone form factor...with a foldable screen. Just want to use it in phone mode? 4" screen. Tablet mode? Expand the screen for an 8" tablet. I'd also like to move away from touch screens as the only input method, need to put these FFCs to use doing some eye tracking.

Maybe I'll be wrong but I just simply don't ever see this day coming. Maybe tablets will be able to serve as a main computer for some people but unless they can do the exact same tasks at the exact same speeds that the PC can, a tablet will never replace my desktop.

No, tablets will not replace high-end desktops, their size and power constraints prohibit this. But a current device like the EP121 can certainly replace a mid-range laptop with ZERO loss of functionality for a lot of folks. There's plenty of folks over on the Amazon user reviews of the EP121 that have done this and it's working form them. Not only that it's has replaced their Cintq desktops, but that is a VERY niche thing.

Processing and storage is going to the cloud.

In the US that's going to be a BIG problem with caps on data connections. Sure a lot of stuff will be in the cloud, but a lot of stuff won't either. And I don't think that tablets are really tied to the cloud anyway. The vision of Microsoft for tablets certainly can leverage the cloud but it's not dependent on it either.

I can see households having less PC's and more tablets since media consumption is on the rise. But I think there will always be a PC for content creation (either documents, programming, engineering, et). Therefore I think Mr. Jobs is right in the long run for consumers.

However, for business where our job is content creation and not consumption, the "PC" will reign strong.

I completely agree with him.

There will always be a need for workstations and laptops, atleast for the immediate future... but for the vast majority of users (my parents, my sister, my grand parents, aunts and uncles, etc), they don't need a desktop nor a laptop to check/write email, browse the internet, shop online and print pictures. I consider myself a power user but since getting my ipad, I've barely touched my laptop or desktop. I just don't find the need to... the ipad is 100X more convenient and is just as useful.

Tablets are the future.

Your not a power user then. I sat down with a laptop with a full size keyboard, and I thought "who could ever replace a full size keyboard with a touchscreen". Then I had in my hands a laptop with a Intel Atom processor, and I thought "fuck, this is what a tablet must feel like".

Consider a few things about the future of tablets.

#1 There derived from cell phones OS's, and therefore aren't meant to handle too much. This includes multi-tasking and anti virus. Once viruses and malware makes its way to tablets OS's, you'll soon see a massive slow down in performance.

#2 The tablet OS's are locked down, and as we all know consumers don't like to be locked down. So far, all these tablets are assuming you already have a laptop or desktop computer. The one place where you know you have the freedom to do anything. You may be able to do the majority of your work on your tablet, but what few you can't do you'll always end up going back to your trusty and capable laptop.

#3 How would you diagnose a broken tablet? Once something goes wrong, and you have data on that thing, how would you retrieve it? It's not like the storage media can be pulled out ya know.

#4 We're going through a phase in computing where we don't need much processing power. That won't last forever though. Someone will find a way to take advantage of the power. Games, graphics, or even 3D printing. Don't forget about 3D printing.

The way I see it is that people will see how useless tablets are, in the near future.

In the US that's going to be a BIG problem with caps on data connections. Sure a lot of stuff will be in the cloud, but a lot of stuff won't either. And I don't think that tablets are really tied to the cloud anyway. The vision of Microsoft for tablets certainly can leverage the cloud but it's not dependent on it either.

Its not just data caps. I work in a town of 22,000. About 1/3 of my users don't have access to decent broadband. Its either dial up or edge speed wireless. They have to have all of their files on their computer to get any sort of productivity.

Our business fiber service gives up guaranteed bandwidth and priority. Its critical to us because the main connections in and out of town are not big enough. We have 3 providers in town and not a single one has anything even in the 1st stages of planning to correct the issue.

Until our infrastructure in the US is fixed and broadband speeds are available to everyone, moving everything to the "cloud" is just a dream. All of this won't happen until we treat broadband like we did power and phones. The companies were given money from the federal government to hook everyone up. The ROI on rural broadband is nonexistent.

I can see households having less PC's and more tablets since media consumption is on the rise. But I think there will always be a PC for content creation (either documents, programming, engineering, et). Therefore I think Mr. Jobs is right in the long run for consumers.

However, for business where our job is content creation and not consumption, the "PC" will reign strong.

Your not a power user then. I sat down with a laptop with a full size keyboard, and I thought "who could ever replace a full size keyboard with a touchscreen". Then I had in my hands a laptop with a Intel Atom processor, and I thought "fuck, this is what a tablet must feel like".

Consider a few things about the future of tablets.

#1 There derived from cell phones OS's, and therefore aren't meant to handle too much. This includes multi-tasking and anti virus. Once viruses and malware makes its way to tablets OS's, you'll soon see a massive slow down in performance.

#2 The tablet OS's are locked down, and as we all know consumers don't like to be locked down. So far, all these tablets are assuming you already have a laptop or desktop computer. The one place where you know you have the freedom to do anything. You may be able to do the majority of your work on your tablet, but what few you can't do you'll always end up going back to your trusty and capable laptop.

#3 How would you diagnose a broken tablet? Once something goes wrong, and you have data on that thing, how would you retrieve it? It's not like the storage media can be pulled out ya know.

#4 We're going through a phase in computing where we don't need much processing power. That won't last forever though. Someone will find a way to take advantage of the power. Games, graphics, or even 3D printing. Don't forget about 3D printing.

The way I see it is that people will see how useless tablets are, in the near future.

I think that we've got to be more precise with terminology., especially with Windows 8 on the way, which isn't a mobile OS. A device like the EP121 can easily create content, high end stuff even in Photoshop that even a desktop can't handle well. It even has a removable and upgradeable SSD though that does void the warranty.

Honestly tablets are just another form factor that at the high end aren't functioanlly different from laptops. And Windows 8 will only blur this more but at the same time of course we'll see more ARM based devices that are sealed and not great for content creation. Almost like some netbooks and I using the EP121 is NOTHING like a netbook.

Until our infrastructure in the US is fixed and broadband speeds are available to everyone, moving everything to the "cloud" is just a dream. All of this won't happen until we treat broadband like we did power and phones. The companies were given money from the federal government to hook everyone up. The ROI on rural broadband is nonexistent.

Excellent points. The other thing to consider as was is that could computing has to be at least as cheap as local computing. The cloud is here to stay but at this point it's simply not there by a long shot to replace local computing entirely. Hybrid computing is still the best model for at least the next decade.

There will always be a serious gaming PC/workstation at home/office, when the user isn't on the move.

this is the same company who talks post PC for all their products, yet requires a PC out of the box to make them work, correct?

I love the irony in this. Freedom from PC! But, wait, you have to use iTunes on a desktop first... The worst program ever written by any company. Including virus makers.

Yea... I don't buy desktops... I buy desktop parts...

I think that we've got to be more precise with terminology., especially with Windows 8 on the way, which isn't a mobile OS. A device like the EP121 can easily create content, high end stuff even in Photoshop that even a desktop can't handle well. It even has a removable and upgradeable SSD though that does void the warranty.

The problem is there's two types of tablets. Ones derived from cell phones, and ones that use Windows OS. On one hand the tablets are just a jumbo sized smart phone that can't make calls, and on the other it's a netbook that has no keyboard.

It does get very confusing.
Honestly tablets are just another form factor that at the high end aren't functioanlly different from laptops. And Windows 8 will only blur this more but at the same time of course we'll see more ARM based devices that are sealed and not great for content creation. Almost like some netbooks and I using the EP121 is NOTHING like a netbook.

I don't think anyone is going to like Windows 8 at all. It'll blur things too much, and end up appealing to nobody. Can you imagine what the driver support and performance is going to be like on the OS? Microsoft is clearly trying to bridge the gap, but will eventually fail. It's the reason I'm scared of tablets, it's how closed they are.

They will get to a point where they outsell desktop PCs, sure, that's easy and will probably happen within 2-3 years given the current rate of adoption. 6 months ago I wouldn't see a tablet nearly anywhere here in Las Vegas except in a store - last night I went out for a walk in downtown on Fremont Street and saw probably 15 people using tablets in various locations, and I don't mean smartphones, I mean actual 7-10" tablets of all kinds: iPads, Galaxy Tabs, a Nook Color or two, a BlackBerry PlayBook, and even one guy with an Archos 70 taking a video of the Fremont Street Experience show.

That's a pretty significant thing... and it'll just increase as time goes by. ;)

It's called tunnel vision....;) And you need to have it checked out. Soon.

Probably every single one of those people has a fully functioning PC at home--but you probably hadn't thought about that. People often get tired of teeny-tiny screens, greasy fingerprints, and having to type like they are mildly retarded (A mouse is far more precise as a pointing instrument compared to a fat, smudgy/grimy finger, and keyboard typing murders touch-screen typing in both speed and accuracy.)

OK, that's just for starters. The processing power of tablets is very weak/abysmal compared to even budget desktops these days, not to mention that the desktop houses peripheral components that can be replaced/upgraded right off the proverbial shelf. Tablet ram, graphics, and internal storage fall in right at the bottom of the list, way, way behind desktops. Etc., ad infinitum. It's no wonder that most people still think tablets are way overpriced.

And, really, just how functional would that tablet be without a fully functioning computer (PC) for it to network on? Not very functional at all, is the correct answer. The fact is that tablets could not and would not exist without the PC superstructure running invisibly in the background to provide the networks that make those tablets even as marginally useful as they are. Indeed, even most people who own a Mac these days, and they have always been in the distinct minority, will tell you that whether they own a tablet or not--they cannot and will not do without their PCs-er, their Macs.

Do people who buy cell phones throw away their iPads or their Galaxies? No? Then don't expect people who buy tablets to throw away their PCs. Ain't gonna' happen.

Besides, I hope you realize that the PC market is still growing by double digits every year and that this year alone ~400M (that's million) PCs are expected to sell. You just may not realize that people who buy tablets aren't in any way forced to abandon their PCs in the process, which is precisely why tablets don't now and never will threaten the PC marketplace. Most people who buy and use PCs regularly will not abandon them for tablets for obvious reasons, which means that buying a tablet instead of buying a PC isn't and never will be an "either-or" choice. IMO, the only people who might buy a tablet *instead* of a PC are people who don't use PCs on a regular basis, anyway. They were never PC(/Mac) market material, anyway.

But I do think that this viewpoint expressed by Cook is troubling to most Mac aficionados. If not, it should be, because it hints that Apple increasingly sees a smaller and smaller role for the Mac inside Apple itself as the years go on. Plainly put, the Mac isn't a major part of Apple's business anymore and never will be again. I think that as far as Cook is talking he's talking about Apple--and he can probably in his mind see the day when the last Mac rolls off the shelf. I'm not an Apple buff myself, but I still think that's pretty sad. So I think Cook's remarks are far more pertinent to the future of Apple manufacturing than for the future of any other company--at Apple, the Mac is on a limited-time basis.

The problem is there's two types of tablets. Ones derived from cell phones, and ones that use Windows OS. On one hand the tablets are just a jumbo sized smart phone that can't make calls, and on the other it's a netbook that has no keyboard.

It does get very confusing.

No attached keyboard or track pad but external ones work perfectly fine if needed. And netbooks can't be used easily in the environments that tablets can't. I would rather use my EP121 without a keyboard and mouse than most netbooks. It simply performs that much better even with Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

I don't think anyone is going to like Windows 8 at all. It'll blur things too much, and end up appealing to nobody. Can you imagine what the driver support and performance is going to be like on the OS? Microsoft is clearly trying to bridge the gap, but will eventually fail. It's the reason I'm scared of tablets, it's how closed they are.

We shall see, it really all depends on execution at this point. Certainly a single device that can do it all has a GREAT deal of economic appeal. And let's not forget Windows 8 ARM devices, they'll not have any backwards compatibility with Windows x86 and be specifically for slates and tablets. At this point there's simply too many unknowns to know how this will play out but I think to say that there isn't a market for devices with the right price that can do it all as long as it can do it all well goes against the laws on economics. If a $500 Windows 8 tablet can do everything a PC can, most of what an iPad can, and can have decent battery life and weight, yes, there's a huge market for this type of device no question. Again, it's all about execution and what the hardware can deliver and right now ALL the chip makers are working on faster and lower power chips. If they succeed, particularly Intel, Windows 8 will be the biggest hit ever to come out of Redmond.

If Windows 8 were to come out today it would flop, this OS is being targeted at next gen hardware without question.

He must have gotten hit in the head with an Ipad as a result of that car that smashed through the apple store in the other article.

I agree. With Windows 8 looking more and more like a tablet/phone interface, one wonders what would be the advantage of a PC for non-gamers/power users. My tablet certainly makes it easy to check my email and look at a facebook or check a twitter. This is what a great percentage of PC users count on their pc's for.

I agree. With Windows 8 looking more and more like a tablet/phone interface, one wonders what would be the advantage of a PC for non-gamers/power users. My tablet certainly makes it easy to check my email and look at a facebook or check a twitter. This is what a great percentage of PC users count on their pc's for.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, at last some voice from beyond gets it. ;)

People are under this mistaken impression that tablets are just fucking going to replace desktops, etc and that is simply not the case. They are going to make mobility better, easier, and less "problematic" (ok, I can't think of a better word right at the moment, deal with it) than having a laptop/notebook or even Netbooks in many situations.

As for tablets outselling PCs, I can see it, easily, within 2-3 years as I already stated in this thread. Why? Because people already have PCs, and they're looking to buy tablets as an addition to what they already have, not replace the PCs which means as PC sales taper off - and they will, like it or believe it or not - tablet sales will continue to rise as time passes.

I get it... why don't other people?

The sales of shoes will soon outstrip the sales of buttons.

Tablets and PC/Laptops are two very different things. While there is some capability overlap, owning one does no preclude owning. the other. In truth, owning one prolly indicates you also own the other.

I still foresee the need of keyboards and mice. A touchscreen can not fully replace them.

People are under this mistaken impression that tablets are just fucking going to replace desktops, etc and that is simply not the case.

They are not going to replace desktops for people that actually USE the power of a desktop. You see more than a few people say that they are power users and that a device like an iPad does pretty much all that they need. I'm not saying that these people aren't capable but I know that for the things that I use my desktops for, not even the most powerful Windows tablets can replace my Windows desktops.

Tablets are merely another form factor and perhaps the form factor that millions will indeed find can replace their laptops, or even their desktops. These people never really needed the full capabilities of these devices in the first place and a tablet is simply right sizing their needs.

Outpacing? Not forever. Eventually everyone might have a tablet and a PC, but they serve completely different purposes.

Apples outpacing oranges.

I still foresee the need of keyboards and mice. A touchscreen can not fully replace them.

No they cannot and only in the world of marketing hype was is this the case anyway. Keyboards, mice, touch and pens all have their strengths and weaknesses and they don't replace each other well when each is used to its fullest extent.

The problem that the IT media and the marketing machines are having these days is playing the zero sum game. Tablets will replace desktops, phones will replace tablets, eggs will replace bacon.

Again, for people that never needed the power of desktop or a laptop then sure, hell a phone might be all the computer someone needs.

No attached keyboard or track pad but external ones work perfectly fine if needed. And netbooks can't be used easily in the environments that tablets can't. I would rather use my EP121 without a keyboard and mouse than most netbooks. It simply performs that much better even with Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

See, that's what I don't get. What environments? Where do you find yourself saying, "Gee, I really wish I had a tablet right about now"?

You're having diner with a loved one, and you wanted to check what's on the menu. BAM! You wip out your tablet?

You're at your job and you want to check your EMail. BAM! You fling out your tablet?

You're at home, sitting on the couch. You suddenly wanna check Facebook. BAM! Out of nowhere comes this tablet.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see this.

We shall see, it really all depends on execution at this point. Certainly a single device that can do it all has a GREAT deal of economic appeal. And let's not forget Windows 8 ARM devices, they'll not have any backwards compatibility with Windows x86 and be specifically for slates and tablets. At this point there's simply too many unknowns to know how this will play out but I think to say that there isn't a market for devices with the right price that can do it all as long as it can do it all well goes against the laws on economics.
It' very simple really. Microsoft is going to put a lot of restrictions on Windows 8, to function more like a tablet. That means less hardware compatibility and software being able to cross platforms. Mac OSX went through this, and it sucked. It'll suck 10X worse for Windows 8. The reason Microsoft is doing this, is for the appeal of the smart phone device, which most tablets are derived from.

#1 Windows 8 will most likely have restrictions in how you can install software.
#2 Windows 8 won't be very compatible with older hardware.
#3 Windows 8 will divide software with ARM and X86.

All for what? To capitalize on the huge income from applications market. Windows 8 is going to be a bridge for future OS's that's more smart phone like. It's all about closing down the platform, cause that's what developers and how Microsoft makes more money.

[/quote]
If a $500 Windows 8 tablet can do everything a PC can, most of what an iPad can, and can have decent battery life and weight, yes, there's a huge market for this type of device no question. Again, it's all about execution and what the hardware can deliver and right now ALL the chip makers are working on faster and lower power chips. If they succeed, particularly Intel, Windows 8 will be the biggest hit ever to come out of Redmond. [/QUOTE]

There's a lot of misconceptions about tablets.

Tablets do everything a PC can, for only $500. No, they don't. Just to give you an idea, most tablets can't even print. Windows 7 tablets can, but they're so underpowered they can't even play World of Warcraft, and that game is 7 years old. There are laptops far more capable and cheaper then tablets, and they come with a keyboard. Just saying.

Tablets can last all day on a full charge. Again, no they don't. The best way to test this is to run a 3D game on the tablet. It'll push everything to run at max speed. If you can somehow force yourself to play the game for hours, you'll find that most tablets don't last past 3 - 5 hours. This maybe because your daily use of the tablet is Facebook and porn websites, which always run the CPU in low power mode. It's good on battery, but nowhere near 10 hours good.

You can take a Tablet places you can't with a laptop.
The obviously thing that escapes people about tablets, is that they are the same size as a laptop. They just don't unfold a keyboard. Though, you could carry a tablet with you for a walk. Through an elevator. Maybe even in public transportation. The question is, would you. Firstly, they have to be the easiest thing to swipe. I can see the theft of tablets being extremely high. Secondly, where you going to keep the darn thing? In your pocket?

The biggest threat to tablets are smart phones. Cause really, you can take that anywhere, cause it fits in your flipping pocket. With a tablet in a case, your going to look like a kid with a old Gameboy, looking for a Pokemon challenger.

well, i'll still be buying and upgrading my DEAKTOP with keyboard and mouse and monitor and speakers and hard drives, wireless card and network card all need to be connected before i can use it.

See, that's what I don't get. What environments? Where do you find yourself saying, "Gee, I really wish I had a tablet right about now"?

You're having diner with a loved one, and you wanted to check what's on the menu. BAM! You wip out your tablet?

You're at your job and you want to check your EMail. BAM! You fling out your tablet?

You're at home, sitting on the couch. You suddenly wanna check Facebook. BAM! Out of nowhere comes this tablet.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see this.

Great for use in a car, easy to use in bed, great for handwritten note taking, at least Windows devices are. And why not the couch? I'm reclined back watching TV right now inking this post.

It' very simple really. Microsoft is going to put a lot of restrictions on Windows 8, to function more like a tablet. That means less hardware compatibility and software being able to cross platforms. Mac OSX went through this, and it sucked. It'll suck 10X worse for Windows 8. The reason Microsoft is doing this, is for the appeal of the smart phone device, which most tablets are derived from.

#1 Windows 8 will most likely have restrictions in how you can install software.
#2 Windows 8 won't be very compatible with older hardware.
#3 Windows 8 will divide software with ARM and X86.

In a word, no, at least not for x86 Windows tablets. Sinofsky stated that Windows 8 x86 is 100% backwards compatible with Windows 7, both hardware and software. As for Windows 8 ARM Microsoft highlighted HTML 5 as a first class development platform and I would assume that .Net will be in the mix as well. Both are completely cross-platform.

There's a lot of misconceptions about tablets.

Tablets do everything a PC can, for only $500. No, they don't. Just to give you an idea, most tablets can't even print. Windows 7 tablets can, but they're so underpowered they can't even play World of Warcraft, and that game is 7 years old. There are laptops far more capable and cheaper then tablets, and they come with a keyboard. Just saying.

First of all, I never said TODAY'S Windows tablets at $500 can do everything a laptop can. That requires about $1000 in a device like the EP121. But the EP121 is a HELL of a lot better built than the average $500 PC laptop, much lighter, much better screen, SSD and a Wacom pen digitizer. There simply isn't a $500 PC laptop that's got all of this. But with Intel and AMD pressing ahead with better mobile chips to keep up with ARM and the scale to which next gen hardware will need to be built yes, by the time Windows 8 is released there should be $500 Windows tablets that do it all, probably no Wacom digitizer at that price point but most $500 don't have pen digitizers save the 7" HTC Flyer, based on the much cheaper N-trig technology.

The obviously thing that escapes people about tablets, is that they are the same size as a laptop. They just don't unfold a keyboard. Though, you could carry a tablet with you for a walk. Through an elevator. Maybe even in public transportation. The question is, would you. Firstly, they have to be the easiest thing to swipe. I can see the theft of tablets being extremely high. Secondly, where you going to keep the darn thing? In your pocket?

The biggest threat to tablets are smart phones. Cause really, you can take that anywhere, cause it fits in your flipping pocket. With a tablet in a case, your going to look like a kid with a old Gameboy, looking for a Pokemon challenger.

I've been using pure slates, convertible tablets and conventional laptops for some time and they all have their purposes. If you don't see the need for tablets that's fine, not everyone will and even among tablet users you'll find different needs and wants. I simply like to use computers in ways that smart-phones and keyboard and mouse only clamshell devices don't work, I love digital ink. Something like the HP Slate at .5" thick and 1.5 lbs. not exactly a burden to carry a lot at places if you actually need a general purpose computer instead of a smart-phone. Instead of a pad and pen I'll take the EP121 to a meeting, about same size.

My tablet can run WoW. Course it costs more than $500. Not that I bought my tablet to play games anyways. That's what my 12" Alienware is for.

Tablets can last all day on a full charge. Again, no they don't. The best way to test this is to run a 3D game on the tablet. It'll push everything to run at max speed. If you can somehow force yourself to play the game for hours, you'll find that most tablets don't last past 3 - 5 hours. This maybe because your daily use of the tablet is Facebook and porn websites, which always run the CPU in low power mode. It's good on battery, but nowhere near 10 hours good.

What's your point here? If all I do is surf webpages, then I'm getting almost a full day on a single charge. If you run 3D games on a regular laptop, they aren't going to get their advertised battery life either. Should laptops all be labeled as getting only 1 hour or less of battery life? While tablet will be advertised as getting 5 hours or more?

I know my tablet has no problem getting at least 5 hours on a single charge, while watching 1080p videos.

I carry my tablet with me on trips to large cities. I watch videos while riding the bus or subway. I pull it out to view the subway maps, as it's easier than trying to find the map that's posted somewhere in the station. I've taken it to concerts and written messages on it to display to the girls on stage. When I'm done using it, I toss it into my courier bag.

I ordered a smaller Android tablet to go with it, as it'll be easier to use in the trains and it's lighter. Just going with a 7" one. I'll still use my Windows 7 tablet, as it's got a lot more functionality.

Or you could look like a person with a small book.

Even in Star Trek TNG where the tablet idea came from has laptops and main frames. PC's aren't going away anytime soon.

Even in Star Trek TNG where the tablet idea came from has laptops and main frames. PC's aren't going away anytime soon.

Star Trek TNG wasn't here the idea came from. The original Star Trek had them.

ipadd-tos.jpg

someone posted this in the forum before

2udzzba.jpg

I completely agree with him.

There will always be a need for workstations and laptops, atleast for the immediate future... but for the vast majority of users (my parents, my sister, my grand parents, aunts and uncles, etc), they don't need a desktop nor a laptop to check/write email, browse the internet, shop online and print pictures. I consider myself a power user but since getting my ipad, I've barely touched my laptop or desktop. I just don't find the need to... the ipad is 100X more convenient and is just as useful.

Tablets are the future.

I agree, why buy a PC or even a notebook when a galaxy tab can do everything my aunt wants, which is basically Facebook, email and Skype.
“power user” as I see it is programming, designing and gaming , iPad can’t be as useful as a desktop pc here.

I hope all this will help shrink the size of all Pc parts, something like the Lian Li PC-V354 should be the biggest computer case in the market :eek:

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't that still show that PC sales (desktop and notebook) outsell tablets and netbooks.

Either way, as long as desktops don't change, I really don't care. And a PC-V354 is way too small a case. I use a V2000B and PC-75.

Either way, as long as desktops don't change, I really don't care. And a PC-V354 is way too small a case. I use a V2000B and PC-75.
not when the biggest top-end video card or a 1200W PSU is not bigger than an SSD drive, yes a very long shot.

Back