Apple Seeks U.S. Ban on Galaxy Nexus

Samsung is getting a bit sleazy in the way they copy Apple designs. Maybe an injunction wouldn't be so bad and actually make Samsung shoot for first place and not second.

Samsung is getting a bit sleazy in the way they copy Apple designs. Maybe an injunction wouldn't be so bad and actually make Samsung shoot for first place and not second.

The Galaxy Nexus looks NOTHING like a iPhone.

I think the real issue is that all of these patent wars have gone way too far. There's a legitimate argument in someone straight-up ripping off your shit, but it's gotten to the point where any and everything is patented; it hinders creativity at this point.

No but their tablet was definitely inspired by the iPad.

Because they are both square? You will not confuse a Galaxy Tab with a iPad. The old ones back in the day? Possibly. Now? Nope.

The issue is that Apple is taking this WAY TOO FAR. It's beyond reason at this point and someone needs to put them in their place.

Hate the Game Not the Player. The system is f'd up. Every major company is playing the patent game, they have to. If you don't, someone else will.

There was some link that trailed off a wired article last year that went to some blog about IBM, Motorola and patents and how there were still some key patents "waiting" in the wings that could be bought by Google as a nuclear option, if need be that would / could hurt Apple, seriously hurt Apple if push come to shove. Interesting article and done in a way that was a bit fishy, it was official looking but UN-offical as it was done through wired but off-wired and on someones blog, an editor at Wired. There was also a link to some IBM Fellow's blog and he talks about these patents, whatever a Fellow is. I went back a week later and my saved link was dead. Anyone have a working link? This was around early Dec 2011.

apple has been screwing up on the iOS department compare to old times, my itouch takes longer to get in after putting password (almost 12sec) and hack for entire 3.3 to 5.0 i had trouble getting my music set up the way it was on 3.2. i finally got it set the way i wanted.

i'm not buying anymore apple, nor i'm buying another apple product, i had my site set on iphone 5/ipad 3 but i'm screw it and go with galaxy note instead.

I don't own anything Apple but I am around it all the time - friends family bring me their Crapple products to fix - yet they won't fail to say "It just works! Well if it just works why the hell do you have to bring your crap product to me? And iTunes what a piece of $hit software..

While I may not agree with the end product of what the USPTO does, keep in mind this is how the US gov works. Do you really want to USPTO to do even more policing and determinations on patents than it does now? Much like our legal system, the USPTO puts forth a token effort, and if that effort isn't very good (whether discovered later on or suspected at the time) it will go to the courts to make a decision.

It's unfortunate that much money is lost in this process, but that's the process.

(Again, not defending it, but let's have people do a little research and proffer some solutions/suggestions before just adding another pithy voice to the kneejerk refrain of angst. Why be so pissed about something that might be as good as it gets?)

At this point Apple is attempting to enforce patents on things like the square and rectangular shapes of phones and tablets, or hand movements like sliding your finger across a screen, button shapes, hell even fruit.

We need to fix the system to reduce all of this litigation. Especially considering that such litigation tends to only benefit the largest companies, or the company with the most cash. How to go about it while protecting patents, and trademarks, that do deserve to exist is the real question.
Or is this one of those industries that is too big to fail? "sniffle sniffle, think of all the poor lawyers it will put out of work if you fix the system, sniff sniff, this will cost us millions of jobs, sniff sniff, boo hoo." ....

There was some link that trailed off a wired article last year that went to some blog about IBM, Motorola and patents and how there were still some key patents "waiting" in the wings that could be bought by Google as a nuclear option, if need be that would / could hurt Apple, seriously hurt Apple if push come to shove. Interesting article and done in a way that was a bit fishy, it was official looking but UN-offical as it was done through wired but off-wired and on someones blog, an editor at Wired. There was also a link to some IBM Fellow's blog and he talks about these patents, whatever a Fellow is. I went back a week later and my saved link was dead. Anyone have a working link? This was around early Dec 2011.

I know what you're talking about, and I think it's a Motorola patent that simply refers to "Making calls over cellular connections" or something to that extent. In other words, the mother of all patents related to the cell industry. And come later this week, Google will own that patent along with Motorola. I'd say a counter-offensive against the Cupertino Cartel is in order.

I think Apple may need to start taking a chill here or they may be headed for some major PR problems especially in context on their Foxconn problems. Apple doesn't need to look like another greedy uncaring corporation in today's environment.

It's WAAAAAYYYYY too late for that dude. To the none sheeple they have been for a long time.

It's WAAAAAYYYYY too late for that dude. To the none sheeple they have been for a long time.

Yeah, to those of us without horse blinders, Apple has been looking like the Evil Empire for some time. At least since the early 2000's. I guess now that the Emperor is dead, Vader is running the show.

What are the chances of this blowing over and getting solved? Why I ask is that I want this phone but I need to put some money together to buy it since I have to buy it at full price if I want it and I'd hate to see this phone no longer being able to be sold because of stupid ****ing Apple.

I really think that in general the USPTO does not do its due dilligence on initial patent applications. I think they are overwhelmed by sheer volume and figure if they mess up it will get resolved at a later date as necessary. Now the patent re-exam process I have a lot of faith in. Recently, my work has become involved in a patent suit with a rival. A bit of background, the IP space in our field is a convoluted mess of mutually assured destruction. There are dozens of players and no one sues anyone even if they know someone else is infringing on their patent, as they likely are infringing someone else. Everyone tries to stay reasonably away from whatever makes others patents unique while understanding there is a LOT of overlap. As long as you follow this, everyone leaves each other alone. Well this firm decided to use their considerable size to push around in a my-penis-is-bigger-than-yours type of fit. We pushed the patents into re-exam. Explained why we felt they were invalid. Resulst of stage 1 of re-exam 100% of disputed claims were invalidated. Keep in mind during this stage they had the ability to amend their claims to make them legit and couldn't. Additionally, I was QUITE impressed with the re-exam reviewers arguemnts. They were mind numbingly thorough, well reasoned and correct. The reviewer quite obviously understood the topic quite well (a rather highly technical scientific topic) and their judgements were solidly grounded in this.

I love my Galaxy Nexus. The iPhone4's screen seems so inferior after using the Galaxy Nexus for a few weeks.

This is out of hand, the galaxy nexus's software works so much differently than apples and my blackberry's had the same functionality with phone numbers. Apple seems to be losing most of their patent cases too. There needs to be some kind of rule where if you waste the courts time with too many cases and lose on them that you lose your ability to sue about patents. It would seriously reduce the number of pointless patent suits as they would save it for real infringement and not this nonsense.

This is out of hand, the galaxy nexus's software works so much differently than apples and my blackberry's had the same functionality with phone numbers.

Totally forgot about that. I had a BB before my first Android phone and used that feature quite a bit and it was around a long time before Apple's iPhone came around.

What the hell is Apple's goal here? Be the only smartphone seller in the US, thus forcing everyone to HAVE to buy an iPhone?

Create monopoly.
Get sued because of it.
Lose all your patents.
Lose your smartphone segment permanently.

Well then, carry on Apple. Carry on.

No but their tablet was definitely inspired by the iPad.

Have you been in a best buy lately? Have you noticed that all tv's/computers/laptops/printers/washers/dryers/refrigerator look the same? Why aren't they suing each other?

What the hell is Apple's goal here? Be the only smartphone seller in the US, thus forcing everyone to HAVE to buy an iPhone?

Create monopoly.
Get sued because of it.
Lose all your patents.
Lose your smartphone segment permanently.

Well then, carry on Apple. Carry on.

What I dont get is the things apple is doing to get marketshare are far worse than what Microsoft did in the 90's. Only difference is that Apple didn't get 90 percent like Microsoft. And Microsofts product was a lot cheaper than the competition. A full blown gui os for 100 dollars was much cheaper.

Looks like they had the power to avoid this

Now, this seems a bit rediculous to me that apple won that International trade dispute with HTC. I think its silly a patent was granted for that only because.... I've seen a similar-feature with mouse-click rather than 'touch screen tap' via Skype made years prior. Oh is that a phone number in an email, on a website, anywhere at all pretty much? Click. Oh Skype is calling the phone number. That addon has existed since way before the iPhone and a tap or 'double tap' on a touch screen really has the effect of a mouse-click.

I guess I should get on patenting the act of 'Saying the word call into voice recognition software --- and it calling a phone number' if you can patent 'click' and 'touch' and any other verb. Why not 'speak' next?

Totally forgot about that. I had a BB before my first Android phone and used that feature quite a bit and it was around a long time before Apple's iPhone came around.

I agree. Basically, the patent is based of the concept that 'double tapping' on a touch screen is totally different than hitting the circle-button on a BB or a double click on a mouse. I think that's somewhat rediculous personally. That changing the input device slightly but effectively having identical software except for the input device is somehow a new patent. At that rate, I should be able to completely rip all the source code form a game like World of Warcraft and change the mouse-clicking interface to tapping on a touch pad and legally patent World of Touchcraft for the iPad/iPhone and smart phones.

I think the real issue is that all of these patent wars have gone way too far. There's a legitimate argument in someone straight-up ripping off your shit, but it's gotten to the point where any and everything is patented; it hinders creativity at this point.

The death of the advancement of technology.

thing is. all those damn companies are doing this, not just apple.

you have to defend your copyright or you lose it. thats actually part of the deal when it comes to copyrights.

Apple wants to ban superior products that are better and cost less to the consumer. the think is an iphone costs $300 A top end Android can be be had for $100-$250 And sometimes free. When apple cannot win they sue. I am surprised that they are not suing Roku for making a better streaming box. Or suing Falcon-nw for making better computers.;)

What are the chances of this blowing over and getting solved? Why I ask is that I want this phone but I need to put some money together to buy it since I have to buy it at full price if I want it and I'd hate to see this phone no longer being able to be sold because of stupid ****ing Apple.

Not likely to blow over but also not likely to see an end soon. And no unlike Germany it is so hard to actually get an injunction in the US and when it does happen if a company would take even the slightest hit in the 11th hour they get a postponement. Then it just becomes step one in a dozen, and just considered the first win. In the end if Apple wins and their is an injunction it just puts the onus on Samsung to settle and remove the infringing features or to license that patent.

Problem is unlike most patent debates. Apple is not looking for a way to supplement income (like MS vs. Android). It wants Android gone. Steve Jobs personal mission is going to go down exactly how he thought it would. Its going to bankrupt Apple. They have a lot of patents, but they got into that game way to late. The coup Google pulled by buying Moto, will be the death of them. It's one company that couldn't care less about matching them dollar for dollar and has practically the oldest and largest handheld manufacturer and pretty much the second biggest patent whore (outside IBM) under its wing. This will not end well for them.

I can only hope this patent trolling of Apple, will be their downfall soon, they are becoming more well known for having a bitch fit, every time a better product comes out.

Back