Apple: Same Dog Food, Reheated

HardOCP News

[H] News
And, the award for "headline of the day" goes to these guys.

Larger iPhones? Larger iPads? Meh. Where are the moonshots? Where is the innovation? Where is the leadership? Apple, I'm afraid, has lost its way and is on a collision course with mediocrity while hungry, eager and cunning competitors lap it in the race to win the hearts and minds of increasingly savvy consumers.

Guysis off his rocker, the competition is no where near the level of Apple in regards to developer support and there is a reason for that. Until they can compete on the software level the competition will not be winning much hearts.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because I wanted a larger phone, the note3. I love the device, it's very good but no where near the level that the iPhone is.

So they would like apple to go into the information business like google? ... What both apple and Google need to do is be less consumer centric and more enterprise centric ... Serving the consumer market is always going to be a race to the bottom of both price and quality ... Enterprise is where the big bucks and deep pockets are ;)

I cant stand apple or the dam phones they make.I tunes blows and to think you NEED it with these phones. I think the apps on Android are just as good now although Android has a lot more crappy apps on the play store. I only use 1 app anyway. Its a weather app. Other than that I use my phone as a phone and do check emails on it. I will read news and such on it from time to time before work but surfing the web on a note 2 is not my cup of tea as I can wait till I get home.

To me, the only thing apples does better anymore is battery life on their phones. Everything else is just like everyone else.

win the hearts and minds of increasingly savvy consumers

This is the key part. Back when dumbsumers were virgins to the technology they relied on the media which is largely pro-Apple steer them in their purchasing decision. But now that the technology has matured and dumbsumers now armed with experience turned into informed consumers know what they want without relying on Apple geniuses along with having higher expectations. I've been shocked by girls whom I thought would be lifetime iPhone followers progress to S 4 then Note 3 because they realized a larger screen is not so evil as Apple say along with longer battery life and they love the pen.

Guysis off his rocker, the competition is no where near the level of Apple in regards to developer support and there is a reason for that. Until they can compete on the software level the competition will not be winning much hearts.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because I wanted a larger phone, the note3. I love the device, it's very good but no where near the level that the iPhone is.

What specifically are you referring to with developer support? As in, they get more help from Apple?

Android development surpassed iOS development (see Appstore vs Play store) last year.

I believe however the Appstore is significantly more profitable per device.

People buying more crapplets and paying more for the same apps on App store vs Play store. In the end, it'll be a repeat of Windows vs OS X due to this key factor:

700px-World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales_Share.png

People buying more crapplets and paying more for the same apps on App store vs Play store. In the end, it'll be a repeat of Windows vs OS X due to this key factor:

Ding ding ding.

To me, the only thing apples does better anymore is battery life on their phones. Everything else is just like everyone else.

Keeping carrier branded apps off their phones.

I just finished explaining to my former iphone using Mom how half of the apps on her new galaxy are simply there to trick her into starting some random useless subscription service, and no, the average user can't delete them.

The biggest problem with Apple right now is that they have such rediculous pricing on their decent products.

There's nothing wrong with the iPad for example, and yes it is just a big screened iPhone, but it seems like they charge $100 for every 16GB bump in storage capacity. Do they gold plate this shit? Did Steve Jobs personally autograph each chip before he died? SSD prices are falling through the floor lately, and yet Apple maintains this insane pricing structure that's completely divorced from market values.

So they certainly COULD sell more devices, if they would just be content with profit margins that are in the remote realm of reason.

Keeping carrier branded apps off their phones.

I just finished explaining to my former iphone using Mom how half of the apps on her new galaxy are simply there to trick her into starting some random useless subscription service, and no, the average user can't delete them.

That's how I feel about iTunes and the broken Apple maps. How do you remove them so it's drag and drop and make Google maps the default? At least on Android Jelly Bean and Kit Kat you can disable the carrier bloat.

That's how I feel about iTunes and the broken Apple maps. How do you remove them so it's drag and drop and make Google maps the default? At least on Android Jelly Bean and Kit Kat you can disable the carrier bloat.

Makes sense that Android lets you do that. After all, they are, the ones with the carrier bloat. Thin would be cool but, I prefer my Windows phone 8 phone for my usage.

But there's always a trade-off:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/2011-macbook-pro-gpu-glitches/

Personally, I'd give up some thinness for better thermal design, longevity and a built-in dongle-less NIC port.

You're point is valid but there is a point where it becomes a tougher sell. An Ethernet port would add considerable thickness to most tablets assuming uniform thickness. Expanded areas for such ports then make the device uneven when laying on a surface.

Got a LG Optimus G with the 4.7" screen and love it.
Hated all the Sprint bloat because I couldn't keep a full battery more than 4 hours, so I flashed a Cyanogen based version of 4.3 onto it and it runs fantastic for the most part.
My only issue is battery drain is insane high when I use the screen for prolonged periods (50% in 2 hours) of time or have both data and wifi on (15% an hour lost). But if I use it as just a phone and make sure only the wifi or data is on it lasts all day when I'm out.
Might have to try a AOSP rom next.
But Apples are great on battery life. Can't fight that point.

Apple has been lagging behind for years now. People are just to dumb to notice. Better phones are half the price of apple...

Pretty much.

The Android vs iOS "war" bares stunning similarities to MSDOS/Windows vs Mac OS in the 90s. It looks like Apple didn't learn their lesson in regards to licensing the OS outside of their own hardware. Android is eating Apple's lunch, and it's going to take their cookies too. Android distribution is similar to MS windows... available from lots of different manufacturers in many different varieties of hardware. You pick what you like, not one model from Google. Pardon the language, but Android is shitting all over iOS in terms of market growth. By locking down their iOS to only their own hardware Apple is signing off on their own long term slide back into irrelevancy.

The iPhone was an awesome phone, but the bottom line is that if you are going to produce all of the hardware, the OS, and lock it down to only your hardware while expecting to keep the mass market share, then every single time you're at the plate you need to hit a grand slam. Those streaks don't go on forever, Apple hasn't been dominant like they were with the iPhone release for a while now, they're being victimized by their stubborn ways again.

Kantar-Nov-2013-730x857.jpg

Pretty much.

The Android vs iOS "war" bares stunning similarities to MSDOS/Windows vs Mac OS in the 90s. It looks like Apple didn't learn their lesson in regards to licensing the OS outside of their own hardware. Android is eating Apple's lunch, and it's going to take their cookies too. Android distribution is similar to MS windows... available from lots of different manufacturers in many different varieties of hardware. You pick what you like, not one model from Google. Pardon the language, but Android is shitting all over iOS in terms of market growth. By locking down their iOS to only their own hardware Apple is signing off on their own long term slide back into irrelevancy.

The iPhone was an awesome phone, but the bottom line is that if you are going to produce all of the hardware, the OS, and lock it down to only your hardware while expecting to keep the mass market share, then every single time you're at the plate you need to hit a grand slam. Those streaks don't go on forever, Apple hasn't been dominant like they were with the iPhone release for a while now, they're being victimized by their stubborn ways again.

Kantar-Nov-2013-730x857.jpg

good post :cool:

Not talking about OS and screen size. What does android have that's better than apples hardware?

Not talking about OS and screen size. What does android have that's better than apples hardware?

In some cases, faster cpus, more memory, superior hardware to market faster, larger screens, screens with a higher pixel density, cheaper apps, drag and drop file transfer instead of the headache that is iTunes (that's the biggest in my opinion), micro sd cards, a fully customizable OS including widgits, live wallpapers, different keyboards, multiple launchers (GUIs) to select from if you don't like the stock one or would rather stick with a familiar one, different sizes for phones and tablets instead of "one size fits all", Near Field Communication (NFC).....
Probably left some out.
But Apple has battery life.

Haha,
The only reason I have an iPhone is that it is real small and high end.

No wonder Apple are getting intro some trouble...they're all too focused on dog food when the Internets are for cats now.

What's funny is that every few years the press trots out the "Apple has stopped innovating, THEY'RE GOING TO DIE!" story.

Then Apple introduces something new that the press heralds as revolutionary. (Whether it is or not is open to interpretation of course.)

1997: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
1998: iMac
2000: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2001: Mac OS X, iPod
2002: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2003: iTunes Music Store
2006: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2007: iPhone
2009: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2010: iPad

Whether those items were truly revolutionary or not, I don't know. But they certainly got drooled over in the press. I fully expect Apple will do something in the next year or two that the press will drool over again. Maybe the AppleTV will grow up and become a monster of the home entertainment industry? Maybe it will be something more business-process-oritened like moving all production to the US? Maybe (most likely, I think) it will be something nobody except the extreme Apple rumor-mongers saw coming.

Having to run and manage your hardware through an outdated and buggy music spreadsheet whether you even play music or not is a big no no for me.

Since the Apple iPhone, have any of the smart phone manufacturers actually innovated and revolutionised anything at all? The only reason Android has the market share that it does is that it's replaced Symbian as your basic, cheap phone OS, not through innovation, not through a superior OS, etc, etc.

Having to run and manage your hardware through an outdated and buggy music spreadsheet whether you even play music or not is a big no no for me.

Are you referring to iTunes? :confused: ... iTunes isn't mandatory anymore for any of the iOS products ... You can do all your management on the device or in the cloud

Are you referring to iTunes? :confused: ... iTunes isn't mandatory anymore for any of the iOS products ... You can do all your management on the device or in the cloud

Indeed, but tell 99% of the current long term users that....

iTunes is pretty much horribadawful on a Windows 7 computer. Last June, I installed it and lost all USB device functionality except keyboard and mouse, all my hard drive partitions except for the system partition vanished, the ROM drive was no longer seen by the OS. This was all just to make an iPod sync once and while a simple uninstall fixed it, the fact that it happened was so lame. I know of at least one other person who installed it on a Vista PC and Win 7 desktop and had the same problem around August or so of last year so I know it isn't just something weird about that desktop and OS because the hardware was very different between systems. >.< I know it works a lot better on Macs, but I wouldn't spend that much money on a computer that I just use to write books, read e-mail, and hang out on the intertubes.

In some cases, faster cpus, more memory, superior hardware to market faster, larger screens, screens with a higher pixel density, cheaper apps, drag and drop file transfer instead of the headache that is iTunes (that's the biggest in my opinion), micro sd cards, a fully customizable OS including widgits, live wallpapers, different keyboards, multiple launchers (GUIs) to select from if you don't like the stock one or would rather stick with a familiar one, different sizes for phones and tablets instead of "one size fits all", Near Field Communication (NFC).....
Probably left some out.
But Apple has battery life.
Wireless charging. N4 and 2013 N7 here.

1997: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
September 1997: Steve Jobs regains control of Apple
1998: iMac
2000: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2001: Mac OS X, iPod
2002: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2003: iTunes Music Store
2006: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2007: iPhone
2009: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!
2010: iPad
August 2011: Steve Jobs Resigns
2012... 2013...
2014: APPLE IS GOING TO DIE!

Fixed.

Love him or hate him, Apple isn't and won't be the same without him.

That there is your typical ZDNet flash-for-cash story. Remember, this is the same organization that foisted the entire "Apple's Darkest Day" drivel on us a decade ago.

They just won't let it go.

Back