Apple Said To Release Curved, Bezel-Free 5-inch And 5.8-inch iPhones Next Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The next iPhone will probably turn a lot of heads if this borderless design is true, which should result in a perceived increase in screen estate. Along with what will probably be glass casing, the largest model is also expected to get a curved OLED display. Hopefully the company gives the SE some of this fanciness when it returns.

Apple will release new 5-inch and 5.8-inch iPhones with curved, bezel-free designs next year, according to Barclays Research analysts Blayne Curtis, Christopher Hemmelgarn, Thomas O'Malley, and Jerry Zhang. The analysts, citing sources within Apple's supply chain following a trip to Asia this week, said the borderless design will allow for the new iPhones to be the same overall size as current 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.

I won't complain about anything that promotes the bezellessnesization of the world, even though everyone I see with an iphone has it covered in a massive rubber enclosure, but I really don't get the point of curving a 5 inch screen. You'd have to hold it like 2 inches from your eyes for the curvature to provide any "surround" feeling.

Actually I don't see a point in borderless design. Especially in a phone. It's counter productive even. You can't effectively use a screen that goes right to the edge of the device. I mean where will you hold it to not touch the screen in the process accidentally? And the lack of "neutral zone" next to the screen and any environment you may use it in might be distracting. And curved, that's an outright joke. Who holds their phone two inches from their head to have an actual benefit from it being curved? Not to mention a whole lot of logistics problems that come with safely storing a curved phone. If the last one had the problem of being bent in your pocket, this I predict will have the opposite problem, as in being straightened when you put it in a tight pocket, especially with the larger size.

I won't complain about anything that promotes the bezellessnesization of the world, even though everyone I see with an iphone has it covered in a massive rubber enclosure, but I really don't get the point of curving a 5 inch screen. You'd have to hold it like 2 inches from your eyes for the curvature to provide any "surround" feeling.

Reading the article, they mean curved as in domed like the current iphon6/6s/7 glass. Not curved as in pringles shaped phone.

So basically take the iphone 7 and mash it up with the iphone 4 and that's what they seem to be claiming.

Back