Apple’s Guide Says Bent iPhone 6 Not Covered By Warranty

I bent my iPhone 5 in my pocket once.

It bent because I was two person lifting a fucking Sycamore SN9000 and put the force of it on my phone.

The amount of force you have to use to bend the iPhone 6 may be less then it took to bend the iPhone 5, true. That still doesn't change the fact that you have to use a hell of a lot of force and this entire thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Can't find anything to criticize about Apple's product? Find something stupid and blow it out of proportion.

God forbid we just criticize the lack of iOS's customization, or Apple's botched iOS update. No, instead we'll be idiots and find fault in the fact that metal bends. Gee wiz.

Tiny pressure?

He basically rips the thing in half! On purpose!

Using his thumbs as a fulcrum putting MASSIVE pressure in the edges!

Not TINY!

I'm actually not shocked by his results. BUT... this is totally different than what would happen if the phone is just sitting in the pocket of your tight jeans.

Sitting on it won't rip it open on the moment like the vid suggested, but it doesn't seem to take much to bend and dent it, and how much bending can a cramped gadget withstand when everyday abuse will cause it?

They could use Titanium and make it that thin. It would just cost more so less profit than using soda cans.
Or aluminum and give it a vertical spine rib along each side of the battery. Its just a design flaw, plain and simple.

Although personally I prefer magnesium. If Dell can make all their ultra-thin laptop chassis out of the stuff, so can you for phones. Aluminum is prettier though.

Competitors simply don't have this problem though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROcoJeVfSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

Will it blend?
Galaxy Note 3 - Nope
HTC One M8 - Nope
Moto X - Nope
Nokia Lumia - Nope

Seriously though, what kind of idiot sits on a $700 phone...or even a $200 phone. DON'T SIT ON YOUR PHONE. And I doubt its bending in peoples front pockets, even if they are skinny jeans.

Maybe I'm not an idiot, who knows. I don't baby my phones, but I don't fucking sit on them either, and I don't keep them in my pocket when sitting...but again, I don't think your front pocket will bend it while sitting.
ok, i think it is retarded and lack of common sense to not take your phone out of your back pocket when you sit down. You might as well slam your phone on hard concrete flooring. *sigh*

So build it less durable, make sure the defect (?) is not covered under warranty, and then people in that Apple ecosystem are forced to buy more phones = more profit.

Big business.

And the apple sheep will do it. Gladly.

This whole story is fucking stupid. Phones with bent or broken enclosures have not been covered under warranties every since the first phone... The guide you posted the picture of is exactly the same for the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s... Jesus christ the hate is disgusting... DON'T BUY ONE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT... Why in gods name do you care what phone other people use... What are y'all in 7th grade?!

Some of you miss the point that the media is trying to make. The iPhone 6 bends EASILY.

If it really does, I do not know, NOR do I care. I use android myself. :D My phone does not bend, at least not just by putting it in my pocket. :rolleyes:

Other than that.....you want an iPhone, great. You don't, that's great too. Regardless of your choice, it doesn't affect me in the least. I could care less what phone you use.

Some of you miss the point that the media is trying to make. The iPhone 6 bends EASILY.

If it really does, I do not know, NOR do I care. I use android myself. :D My phone does not bend, at least not just by putting it in my pocket. :rolleyes:

Other than that.....you want an iPhone, great. You don't, that's great too. Regardless of your choice, it doesn't affect me in the least. I could care less what phone you use.

I think what we're all missing here is the improvements that Apple is trying to bestoy upon us. The Apple iPhone 6+ actually bends and conforms to the specific user.

Every iPhone is a custom iPhone...

How does that feel you Apple idiots? Fucked again and yet you will still be fanboys. Oh yeah, did I mention that you are retarted fools? :D

If it bend under normal use then yes I think it should be covered, although that is almost impossible to bend it then. IF it bends because you sat on it then you are the one at fault not Apple and I don't think it should be covered. I have a Nokia Lumia 1520. It is a 6 inch screen and never once did I think about putting it in my back pocket and sitting down. I normally wear cargo pants so it goes into one of my leg pockets to avoid it being in a pocket I want to have bend when i sit down. If not wearing cargo pants I have it in my front pocket and normally have to adjust it some to be able to sit down. If I somehow managed to bend this phone I would hold Microsoft at fault but would hold myself accountable for my actions.

As for the person that said class action lawsuit. If there is one it better be tossed out as that is a frivolous lawsuit.

Rather bad or apple.
They built a crap weak design and not going to cover it. Geez screw that crap.

God forbid we just criticize the lack of iOS's customization, or Apple's botched iOS update. No, instead we'll be idiots and find fault in the fact that metal bends. Gee wiz.

You forgot the fake story about the new wireless charging feature iOS 8.

Just put it in the microwave to charge :eek:

Wonder if this is covered by AppleCare :)

Why are the phones bending at all? Is this only happening to people wearing tight pants and/or overweight people making it bend?

Design flaw. No structural support around a spot weakened due to cut outs.

I like the Apple reply "only 9 people have contacted Apple about bent Iphone 6 Plusses". How would it be this big of a story if there were only 9? All of them must have been journalists of some sort to get this much coverage.

Because anything Apple related gets massive page hits and generates flame wars.

A dozen bent iPhones out of ten million generates a ridiculous amount of traffic. Obviously this works for journos and websites.

Just buy an OTTER case...it will turn your iphone into an ugly thick as hell indestructible iphone.

I cannot believe people actually buy OtterBox's outrageously overpriced cases and products.

People willing to pay $30 to $60 for a $0.50 plastic/polymer smartphone case are the same ones purchasing Monster Cables and Beats Audio headphones. They are easily influenced by advertising, brand names, celebrity endorsements, social media, and OtterBox's target demographic.

Surprise, surprise, surprise. Non-iPhone folks are making a huge deal out of this, and iPhone fans are playing it down.

What is this, a political scandal?

The sad part is that if the Note 4 bent relatively easily compared to the iPhone, we'd hear the exact opposite from both "sides".

Apple and Samsung should be proud! They've gotten customers to fight for their products without paying folks to do it. That's a sign of truly effective brand marketing.

Surprise, surprise, surprise. Non-iPhone folks are making a huge deal out of this, and iPhone fans are playing it down.

What is this, a political scandal?

The sad part is that if the Note 4 bent relatively easily compared to the iPhone, we'd hear the exact opposite from both "sides".

Apple and Samsung should be proud! They've gotten customers to fight for their products without paying folks to do it. That's a sign of truly effective brand marketing.
My main phone is an iphone5 and I most certainly would not play this down.

Yes, only the other day I was writing of the joys of Apple-product warranties, which seem cheap-as-all-get-out for devices of such quality (*cough*)...;)

I had my iPhone 5 replaced without hesitation because it got a piece of dust under the camera lens. I did not have Apple Care.

On the plus side, it looks like the battery in the iPhone 6 is user removable :cool: :D

:eek: wow. While I wouldnt say this was "tiny" or "hardly any" pressure I did not expect that.

One of the whole reasons to buy an apple product is quality.

Hmmm.

But at the same time, it is aluminum, and I would be gentle with it. Our iPad has dinged corners because of the soft aluminum. My Mac Pro has a dinged handle because it's aluminum. Does it annoy me, sure. Do I love that they use aluminum, yes.

But at the same time, it is aluminum, and I would be gentle with it. Our iPad has dinged corners because of the soft aluminum. My Mac Pro has a dinged handle because it's aluminum. Does it annoy me, sure. Do I love that they use aluminum, yes.

Funny, because when a product has that much of a price premium and is advertised as being superior in every way... I'd expect it to not be something I'd have to be gentle with.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/gphoSAywifZrXOxU.huge

Look at the case part of the teardown. You can see the milling marks. It appears to be a flat case shape with lots of modules dropped in, but not milled out of the case.

Compare to Note 3:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/1jhqeLm5S4PKEgcN.huge

Lots of various ridges.

Good example
There is no milling "around" the parts in the new iPhone at all.
Like its just an empty Altoids case with lots of expensive parts strapped inside.
A far cry from the milled out of a solid block of metal military grade Apple clam shell cases of the past.
Looks like a cheap solution for the build and another bad Apple design choice.

This is a problem of their own creation. They basked the viral 'good press' of the sapphire screen nonsense. They built up an expectation that the whole device couldn't match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8lKTJbwvY
I would bet some of the initial bent phones were from people seeing how tough they were.

In fact the backfiring is probably not just in a PR sense. The screens seem to bend and not break. The flexible screens aren't adding the same level of stiffness the more traditional glass material and size was adding and undermining the overall stiffness of the phone.

This is a problem of their own creation. They basked the viral 'good press' of the sapphire screen nonsense. They built up an expectation that the whole device couldn't match.

I wonder how much extra rigidity a sapphire screen would have given the phone, considering how much easier their new phones bend.

I wonder how much extra rigidity a sapphire screen would have given the phone, considering how much easier their new phones bend.
The case would still snap with the screen staying intact, just like with the iPhone 6s in their current state.

Consumer Reports tested the pressure needed to deform and separate the case, applying pressure to the center: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Code:
                     Deformation Case separation
HTC One (M8)           70 pounds  90 pounds
Apple iPhone 6         70 pounds 100 pounds
Apple iPhone 6 Plus    90 pounds 110 pounds
LG G3                 130 pounds 130 pounds
Apple iPhone 5        130 pounds 150 pounds
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 150 pounds 150 pounds

I don't think that helps much since the weak point in each phone could be different from the middle.

I'm amused by how cheap the Note 3 feels but how durable it apparently is.

Consumer Reports tested the pressure needed to deform and separate the case, applying pressure to the center: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Code:
                     Deformation Case separation
HTC One (M8)           70 pounds  90 pounds
Apple iPhone 6         70 pounds 100 pounds
Apple iPhone 6 Plus    90 pounds 110 pounds
LG G3                 130 pounds 130 pounds
Apple iPhone 5        130 pounds 150 pounds
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 150 pounds 150 pounds
I don't think that helps much since the weak point in each phone could be different from the middle.

So they went from 130 to 70/90.... :eek:
Maybe its not obvious to them but making things weaker isn't good? :D

And yet people (even some here) are saying it's all just overblown media spin. Frankly, the Note 3 is definitely the clear winner. Lets hope the Note 4 is even better.

And yet people (even some here) are saying it's all just overblown media spin. Frankly, the Note 3 is definitely the clear winner. Lets hope the Note 4 is even better.

I like the big screen of the note 3. That is my next phone when I get paid next week!

70 pounds of force.

That's not something you do by just putting it in your pocket every day.

It's something you do when you bash your hip against a table because you're a clumsy idiot.

130 pounds on the iPhone 5 would be no difference in how people bend these things.

The mob mentality in this thread is mind numbing. The best part is that most of the self-proclaimed anti-apple/anti-'sheeple' are acting just like what they hate. Fucking sheep.

I like the big screen of the note 3. That is my next phone when I get paid next week!

Are you buying it outright or on contract? If you're buying it under contract (upgrading) why not just wait for the Note 4? Just wondering.

Back