Apple Rumored to Slash iPhone Prices Due to Lower Demand than Expected

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Apple may be slashing the prices of the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus because they aren’t hitting their intended sales targets. Normally, you’d have to wait until new models are introduced in the Fall, but some say we’ll see cheaper iPhones as early as Spring.

The underperforming markets are reportedly Taiwan, Singapore, and Apple's most important one, the US. With a price slash of, say, $50 or more, sales of the devices might increase exponentially. The purported low demand for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus could theoretically force Cupertino to cut down prices earlier next year.

How in the world will a $50 reduction in price cause sales to increase exponentially?!? Either folks are on the edge and about to pull the trigger to buy them or they're staying away. Heck maybe the general public goes crazy for any "sale"? And to think I grumbled about paying $550 for my Pixel 2 after 4 years of using a Galaxy S4...

A $250 phone made from $2 of labor in a Chinese industrial ghetto. Seems like it should cost at least $1200. 100% totally legit price tag.

A $250 phone made from $2 of labor in a Chinese industrial ghetto. Seems like it should cost at least $1200. 100% totally legit price tag.

Everyone uses cheap Chinese labor for electronics. From the video card in your pc to your fancy android phone. The Apple butthurt is strong on here.

Also it’s not a $250 phone... r&d and other things aren’t free.

Agreed on the $50 price cut, won’t do jack squat. Phone demand isn’t an Apple problem, it’s an industry problem. I only upgraded my last phone (3yrs) because the charg port was flakey.

Had a feeling that would happen. There's a psychological barrier when you say $1000 for a device that fits in your hand that you replace on a regular basis. It says, "You're fucking stupid if you pay this much for something you will replace in 2-4 years"

Everyone uses cheap Chinese labor for electronics. From the video card in your pc to your fancy android phone. The Apple butthurt is strong on here.

Also it’s not a $250 phone... r&d and other things aren’t free.

You are right. You have to justify your huge stock valuation to stock holders by ever increasing profit margins since Macs are dying out, the watch failed, the apple TV failed, and you have a huge new campus that everyone hates. Solution: Milk your faithful even more!

Funny thing. PC sales stabilize or go down a percent or two and everyone runs articles about how the sky is falling and the PC is dead. Phone and tablet sales do the same thing and nobody says jack shit. We've obviously hit peak phone/tablet... so much for them replacing the PC and the PC dying.

Only Apple butthurt generally around here is from the Apple fanbois who continuously keep trying to defend the company and their can't-do-wrong (/s) thinking.

Hmm, killing performance due to "battery degradation" on older products caught them with the hands in the cookie jar. Now a little price drop to see if they will bite on this. Smelling fishy over at Apple now.

Reactions: Uncle
like this
Wow...Mac on the ropes, Apple Watch on the ropes, and now this. I kinda wonder if we're on the cusp of Apple's 2nd collapse.

Wow...Mac on the ropes, Apple Watch on the ropes, and now this. I kinda wonder if we're on the cusp of Apple's 2nd collapse.
They're going to have to find a way to bring Steve Jobs back from the dead.

They should raise the price $50 and tack on an "I" to the name (XI or iX). I'm sure it will fly off the shelves then.

Reactions: Uncle
like this
The real issue is people with 6 or 6S series iPhones aren't upgrading very quickly, myself included. Honestly, I don't think the price is the biggest issue, but rather how we are going backwards in phone technology. Prominent features like finger print readers and headphone jacks are being left out of the design. I wonder what will be removed next.

The real issue is people with 6 or 6S series iPhones aren't upgrading very quickly, myself included. Honestly, I don't think the price is the biggest issue, but rather how we are going backwards in phone technology. Prominent features like finger print readers and headphone jacks are being left out of the design. I wonder what will be removed next.
Agreed - I have a 7 and it works fine. I don't want to replace it and definitely don't need to. I bought a battery pack case last month for about $25 from Amazon - it's awesome as I can go a day and half now without having to charge.
I also consider my normal usage for a phone: text, camera, weather app, reddit (when I'm bored), GPS sometimes, ... not much else. I rarely download new apps and do not play games. I gave my daughter my iPhone 6 and it works well enough. Honestly, it's not usually a whole lot different than my 7 for the tasks described above. The battery in the 6 is likely not that great. Hmm...new battery case? (Her phone is probably getting throttled. The charge cycles would be well beyond the 1000 at this point - not sure what the battery efficiency is. Apple stated that 500 charges and 80% is normal for their LiON batteries.)

I have 3 friends who use..... Apple...

They instead are getting battery replacement services.

One got theirs back and said it feels new......

So theres that

You are right. You have to justify your huge stock valuation to stock holders by ever increasing profit margins since Macs are dying out, the watch failed, the apple TV failed, and you have a huge new campus that everyone hates. Solution: Milk your faithful even more!
Rumor has it that the slow down in apple sales is caused by the banks cutting back on 2nd mortgages.

The phone market is saturated. Phones are good enough for what people do with them. Apple knows it. It's why they didn't disclose that they throttle the CPUs in older phones with worn batteries. They're having to resort to dirty tricks to get people to upgrade.

I upgraded my wife's 6 to a 8+.

The iPhone was getting on its last legs. Poor battery life, laggy performance, low 16GB storage.. Maybe I should have gotten a new battery, but with the decent trade in value, I could not resist and moved on.

i'm a shareholder, so whatever sells more phones to the isheep is good. go for volume sales.

if the $200 to $500 (Xfinity) discounts for carrier signup didn't do it, why would a $50 cut from Apple?

When this is the biggest and best tech changes announced, one doesn't have to look very far that the tech for the phone has reached its height. I'll say this again and again. The cell phone is never promoted as a phone foremost, but as a computer or a 5" tablet. Heck you can buy a 9" tablet that does more than the cell phones minus a phone chip for $200. So what gives you a bigger bang for your buck. Now their trying to bring back the flip phone. The corporations have the base price plans that gives them the profits they want, they can offer you a cheap flip phone and keep the base price the same, or minus a couple of bucks to con you into your getting a good deal.

As someone who has owned a model from every generation since the iPhone 3G, no headphone jack (and to a lesser extent, replacing the excellent TouchID with FaceID) means my next phone will not be from Apple.

The phone market is saturated. Phones are good enough for what people do with them. Apple knows it. It's why they didn't disclose that they throttle the CPUs in older phones with worn batteries. They're having to resort to dirty tricks to get people to upgrade.
and the reason for the trade ins or buy backs. To keep older phones off the market. The bean counters know how many new phones have been sold vs trade-ins and the average breakage. If the market has reached the saturated point, what better way to force their old customers to buy new.

Back